AMD RX 460 GPU and OpenCL
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: AMD RX 460 GPU and OpenCL Reply with quote

Hi folks

I'm tearing my hair out here...

I have an old-ish Lenovo P710 workstation. I want OpenCL to work on it, so that Darktable will be faster. I don't really know what OpenCL is, but I know that it makes Darktable faster, because I have it on other machines. The P710 came with an ancient NVidia GPU which I was told in another thread would never support OpenCL.

I don't have a lot of money, so I bought a slightly more modern AMD RX 460, which seems to be generally well-supported by Linux. I rebuilt everything with

VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radeonsi

and, in general, it works fine. But I'm struggling to get OpenCL to work. I'm using the amdgpu driver and, according to the Gentoo documentation[1],

"OpenCL 2.0 is available via ROCm (dev-libs/rocm-opencl-runtime)"

So I installed this library and its stack of dependencies. But even 'clinfo' crashes:

Code:
$ clinfo
free(): invalid pointer
Aborted

Looking at the various bits of Gentoo documentation, there seems to be a dozen different ways to get OpenCL support with AMD GPUs. There are closed-source and open-source GPU drivers. There are closed-source and open-source OpenCL implementations for AMD. There are completely (it seems to me) unrelated ways to get OpenCL using Mesa (and I have no clue what Mesa is).

I just want to know the way that works. It doesn't have to be the fastest or shiniest implementation, I don't need to understand it -- it just needs to not crash.

If anybody has got OpenCL working with this kind of GPU, could you please tell me how? Before I hurt myself beating my face on the desk, ideally.

BR, Lars.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I know very little about OpenCL or other GPU interfaces. This is just what works for me.

On my RX550, clinfo only worked with dev-libs/amdgpu-pro-opencl. It failed, from my POV, with ROCm and the AMD website has a very small list of supported cards for ROCm.

I don't know if the wiki is exaggerated or what.

I am not really using OpenCL so running clinfo is the limit of how I would interact with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: