Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to reconfigure all the newtork setting from zero?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
antoniovalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:02 am    Post subject: How to reconfigure all the newtork setting from zero? Reply with quote

My internet became hellish slow, when my phone measure is 250Mb/s, and my computer is 2Mb/s

after rebooting my computer I couldn't connect om wifi, the service was inactive, after I connected the cable, and it is also slow.

I use Netifrc and wpa_supplicant

How can I completely delete all settings to start from zero, and recover my wifi connection?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "normal" way to cause something like that, so unless you've been looking very hard for ways to cripple your network, wiping configs won't help. (And being on netifrc with wpa_supplicant, you aleady know where their configs are)

I have both seen and heard of network devices bugging each other out; sometimes by just existing, and sometimes when certain conditions are met. One example I have right in front of me starts dropping 50% of packets after almost every single power outage forcing me to unplug its power, wait a minute, and then plug in again. I suppose initializing both ends of the link at the same time messes things up....

Do you know what is the direct cause of your network being slow? Are there any noticeable patterns?
Have you run any tests to the next hop? Checked for damaged cable etc? Are there addressing conflicts?
Banana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or conflicting new devices?
What does your router say? There is often a browser view available with diagnostic options.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
antoniovalos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that the cause of the problem would be an old repeater that I tuned on.
But now, after turning off the repeater, the connection is still bad.
I am using wpa_supplicant cli to connect to wifi.

I tried to configure from zero many times, the internet is working, but very slow and unstable.
The internet on another devices is fine.
I just can't understand the reasons my internet is like that.
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antoniovalos wrote:
I just can't understand the reasons my internet is like that.

Hardware is always a consideration. If it's a cable, run a graphical ping on the device at the other end, too many dots, just throw a new cable over to prove it is/isn't that.
If it's wifi, move it closer to the the AP (like within 6 feet), range is the first thing to go as wifi hardware sings it's swansong.

It's also worth considering if "other devices" are using the same band as the problem device, and that your neighbours aren't stomping all over your 802.11{b,n,ac,ax} exclusively; this is why 802.11b is so stable here, no other cnut is using it within 3 miles...
Banana

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I realized that the cause of the problem would be an old repeater that I tuned on.

We don't know your network setup, but lets assume you are using DHCP. Providing another device which does olso provide DHCP services can lead to some mixup. So after disconnection the old repeater, a restart of your existing DHCP service (usually in your modem/router) and its clients should clean up the mess.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: