alternative to libinput to install mdev
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetumetal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: alternative to libinput to install mdev Reply with quote

hi Gentoo users,

I wanted to replace udev by mdev following the Gentoo's wiki. However, I found that my xorg-server will not detect any mouse/keyboard if I don't use libinput. The problem is that libinput has a hard dependency on udev through virtual/libudev.

Is there any way around this or just an xorg-server will not work with mdev?

Thanks, Tetumetal
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, GUI packages and mdev are going to be incompatible, because lots of GUI stuff links to libudev.

For Xorg specifically, there is an unsupported path you can try for keeping mdev: libudev-zero combined with INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" (the thread was about static /dev setups, but as far a I can see it should apply to mdev setups as well). It's unsupported because libudev-zero is not in Gentoo's repository, and conflicts with libudev providers that are.

This won't help if something else is also requiring libinput or libudev, though.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: