how do you guys handle qtwebengine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject: how do you guys handle qtwebengine Reply with quote

I'm fed up ...
every time I perform a emerge --update --deep --newuse --with-bdeps=y @system @world, it fails at the package qtwebengine.
mostly (yes, murphy's law) at the end of this heavy package,
I can then start digging through, experimenting with whatever comes to mind.

every time, i mean since QT 5.10, it was qtwebengine which broke the upgrade process.
I can't imagine being the only one who's afraid of compiling qtwebengine,
so how do you people deal with it when using kde plasma?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KDE Plasma itself can do without qtwebengine.

If your system lacks resources as determined by your build params, adjust build parameters in make.conf or per-package via package.env. Or increase resources hardware-wise.

Last edited by asturm on Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got rid of everything that depends on it and run USE=-webengine
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Binhost

Binhost x86_64-v3 if your CPU supports it.

/etc/portage/binrepos.conf/gentoobinhost.conf:

[binhost-x86_64]
priority = 9998
#sync-uri = https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64/
sync-uri = https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64/

[binhost-x86_64-v3]
priority = 9999
#sync-uri = https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64-v3/
sync-uri = https://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/binpackages/23.0/x86-64-v3/

Here the x86_64-v3 will take precedence and this way if a package is not available in v3 it'll be taken from the base x86_64 binrepo. If it's not available there too, then portage builds it from source.

Then adjust use flags if necessary. I think qtwebengine particularly does not need anything other than default, but nodejs for example needs -inspector. And I hate that crap but firefox:rapid requires it to build. However if you build chromium, it requires nodejs[inspector] which does not satisfy the binary package. However I used to use ungoogled-chromium-bin::pf4public which saved the day.

If you want to use it only for qtwebengine you update i separately with --getbinpkg. There still isn't a way to selectively chose binary packages other than doing it manually, sometimes terminating the source ebuild and then running the --getbinpkg query for that package manually and then starting the update over.

Another option is:

credit goes to pjp:
emerge -1vgKf qtwebengine

This will fetch the binary package from the binhost (-g/--getbinpkg) and then use it locally (-K/--usepkgonly). Still you need to update it separately.

EDIT: I just came up with an idea based on the above: emerge -gFpv <package(s)>. This will only fetch the binary package(s). Then continue the update with --usepkg. It'll use whatever binary packages that are compatible from the cache.

p.s. a related thread where it turned out to be a low memory condition: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1170988.html Chromium and qtwebengine are notorious for that. Even more after gcc support for building chromium was dropped. Clang seems to have higher memory usage peeks. I've observed that since long long ago.

Best Regards,
Georgi

Last edited by logrusx on Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Banana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments to Portage & Programming.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've adjusted the package-specific USE flags so that I can use the binary version. I'm not going to try to compile that monster again on the hardware I have. I'm not sure what the implications are of doing this; but I'm installing qtwebengine at all, because FreeCAD has a dependency on it. I have no idea how (or even if) FreeCAD uses qtwebengine, and I'm not particular bothered whether it works properly.

BR, Lars.
Josef.95
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, what is the real problem?
Can you post the output from "emerge --info" and the error message (the build.log)?

/edit:
As first step you can check
Code:
grep -i Killed /path/to/the/build.log
and check the dmesg output.
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's exactly my point:
it's always something else: the build system, libraries, the compiler, binutils, ...
every time it crashes, but at every update it finds a new update to crash on.
For 6.7.2 and 6.7.3, the error log simply states:
Code:

[78/106] : && /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/linker_ulimit.sh /usr/lib/distcc/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs   -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_objects.rsp -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -shared -Wl,-soname,libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6 -o lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3 src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_1_cxx.cxx.o src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx.o  -Wl,-rpath,:::::::  -Wl,--start-group @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_archives.rsp -Wl,--end-group  -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_ldir.rsp @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_libs.rsp -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings  /usr/lib64/libxkbcommon.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6Quick.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6OpenGL.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libGLX.so  /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlModels.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6WebChannel.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Qml.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Network.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlBuiltins.a  /usr/lib64/libQt6Core.so.6.7.3 && :                                                     FAILED: lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3                                                                                                                                            : && /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/linker_ulimit.sh /usr/lib/distcc/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs   -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_objects.rsp -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -shared -Wl,-soname,libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6 -o lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3 src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_1_cxx.cxx.o src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx.o  -Wl,-rpath,:::::::  -Wl,--start-group @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_archives.rsp -Wl,--end-group  -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_ldir.rsp @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_libs.rsp -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings  /usr/lib64/libxkbcommon.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6Quick.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6OpenGL.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libGLX.so  /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlModels.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6WebChannel.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Qml.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Network.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlBuiltins.a  /usr/lib64/libQt6Core.so.6.7.3 && :
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 * ERROR: dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   ninja -v -j70 -l12 failed
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line  136:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 3579:  Called cmake_src_compile                                                                                                                                 *   environment, line 1650:  Called cmake_build
 *   environment, line 1617:  Called eninja
 *   environment, line 2099:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "$@" || die -n "${*} failed"                                                                                                                                                  *
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/temp/environment'.                                                                             * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3'

so yes, that doesn't say anything
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not relevant output. There must be something above. I see it's only 78 of 108 so I guess you could share the whole build.log. Or at least 100 lines above what you've shared.

Best Regards,
Georgi
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
This is not relevant output. There must be something above. I see it's only 78 of 108 so I guess you could share the whole build.log. Or at least 100 lines above what you've shared.

Best Regards,
Georgi

You're too optimistic:

Code:

ebuild /var/db/repos/gentoo/dev-qt/qtwebengine/qtwebengine-6.7.3.ebuild compile
>>> Existing ${T}/environment for 'qtwebengine-6.7.3' will be sourced. Run                                                                                                           
>>> 'clean' to start with a fresh environment.
>>> Checking qtwebengine-6.7-patchset-13.tar.xz's mtime...
>>> Checking qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3.tar.xz's mtime...
>>> WORKDIR is up-to-date, keeping...
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                           [ ok ] 
* checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                          [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                                                         [ ok ]
 * Checking for at least 8 GiB disk space at "/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/temp" ...                                                                              [ ok ]
 * Checking for at least 360 MiB disk space at "/usr" ...                                                                                                                      [ ok ]
>>> It appears that 'setup' has already executed for 'qtwebengine-6.7.3'; skipping.                                                                                                   
>>> Remove '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/.setuped' to force setup.
>>> It appears that 'unpack' has already executed for 'qtwebengine-6.7.3'; skipping.
>>> Remove '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/.unpacked' to force unpack.
>>> It appears that 'prepare' has already executed for 'qtwebengine-6.7.3'; skipping.
>>> Remove '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/.prepared' to force prepare.                                                                                                   
>>> It appears that 'configure' has already executed for 'qtwebengine-6.7.3'; skipping.                                                                                               
>>> Remove '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/.configured' to force configure.                                                                                               
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3 ...                                                                           
* Source directory (CMAKE_USE_DIR): "/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3"                                                                 
* Build directory  (BUILD_DIR):     "/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build"                                                         
ninja -v -j70 -l12 WebEngineCore_sync_all_public_headers                                                                                                                             
[1/1] cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api && /usr/lib64/qt6/libexec/syncqt @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore_syncqt_all_args                                                                                               
* Source directory (CMAKE_USE_DIR): "/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3"                                                                 
* Build directory  (BUILD_DIR):     "/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build"                                                         
ninja -v -j70 -l12                                                                                                                                                                   
[0/31] cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core && /usr/bin/ninja -j70 -l12 -v -C /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64 QtWebEngineCore                                                                                             ninja: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64'                                      ninja: no work to do.                                                                                                                                                                 
[1/31] cd /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core && /usr/bin/ninja -j70 -l12 -v -C /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64 convert_dict                                                                                               
ninja: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64'                                     
ninja: no work to do.                                                                                                                                                                 
[3/31] : && /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/linker_ulimit.sh /usr/lib/distcc/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs   -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_objects.rsp -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -shared -Wl,-soname,libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6 -o lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3 src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_1_cxx.cxx.o src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx.o  -Wl,-rpath,:::::::  -Wl,--start-group @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_archives.rsp -Wl,--end-group  -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_ldir.rsp @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_libs.rsp -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings  /usr/lib64/libxkbcommon.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6Quick.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6OpenGL.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libGLX.so  /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlModels.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6WebChannel.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Qml.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Network.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlBuiltins.a  /usr/lib64/libQt6Core.so.6.7.3 && :                                                       
FAILED: lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3                                                                                                                                           
: && /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/linker_ulimit.sh /usr/lib/distcc/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe  -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs   -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_objects.rsp -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,--enable-new-dtags -shared -Wl,-soname,libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6 -o lib64/libQt6WebEngineCore.so.6.7.3 src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_1_cxx.cxx.o src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx.o  -Wl,-rpath,:::::::  -Wl,--start-group @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_archives.rsp -Wl,--end-group  -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_ldir.rsp @/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/QtWebEngineCore_libs.rsp -Wl,--no-fatal-warnings  /usr/lib64/libxkbcommon.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6Quick.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6OpenGL.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Gui.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libGLX.so  /usr/lib64/libOpenGL.so  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlModels.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6WebChannel.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Qml.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6Network.so.6.7.3  /usr/lib64/libQt6QmlBuiltins.a  /usr/lib64/libQt6Core.so.6.7.3 && :
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.
 * ERROR: dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   ninja -v -j70 -l12 failed
 * Call stack:                                                                                                                                                                         
 *     ebuild.sh, line  136:  Called src_compile
 *   environment, line 3579:  Called cmake_src_compile
 *   environment, line 1650:  Called cmake_build
 *   environment, line 1617:  Called eninja
 *   environment, line 2099:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *       "$@" || die -n "${*} failed"
 *                                                                                                                                                                                     
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3::gentoo'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build'                                                                         
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3'

Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...
Quote:
*snip*:
ninja -v -j70 -l12 failed
Ninja is running 70 concurrent compiler jobs at maximum, but limited if load average goes above 12.00.
There's quite a possibility for ninja to first spawn 70 jobs then eventually settling around 12 if nothing else is straining your system. I always assume each job takes one gig of RAM while compiling big packages. 70 concurrent jobs would surely kill any machines I own.
Maybe check your MAKEOPTS?

EDIT: Just saw you last post. MAKEOPTS may not be the problem here, but does not hurt to check.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
dmesg | grep killed

Best Regards,
Georgi
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

logrusx wrote:
Code:
dmesg | grep killed

Best Regards,
Georgi

Code:

janpieter@desktopjp ~ $ dmesg | grep killed
janpieter@desktopjp ~ $

The desktop machine has 64GB of ram for 12 CPUs (and 256GB of swap), but links to a 64 core distcc server, so that's where the -j70 -l12 comes from
*edit* some additional info:
Code:

COMMON_FLAGS="-march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe"
#MACHINE_FLAGS="-march=znver1 -mabm -madx -maes -mavx -mavx2 -mbmi -mbmi2 -mclflushopt -mclzero -mcx16 -mf16c -mfma -mfsgsbase -mfxsr -mlzcnt -mmmx -mmovbe -mmwaitx -mpclmul -mpopcnt -mprfchw -mrdrnd -mrdseed -msahf -msha -msse -msse2 -msse3 -msse4.1 -msse4.2 -msse4a -mssse3 -mxsave -mxsavec -mxsaveopt -mxsaves --param=l1-cache-line-size=64 --param=l1-cache-size=32 --param=l2-cache-size=512"
CFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS} ${MACHINE_FLAGS}"
CXXFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS} ${MACHINE_FLAGS}"
FCFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS} ${MACHINE_FLAGS}"                                                                                                                                           
FFLAGS="${COMMON_FLAGS} ${MACHINE_FLAGS}"
# NOTE: This stage was built with the bindist Use flag enabled
PORTDIR="/var/db/repos/gentoo"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"                                                                                                                                                           
BINPKG_COMPRESS="lz4"
BINPKG_FORMAT="gpkg"
FEATURES="nostrip -network-sandbox -ebuild-locks -sandbox -ipc-sandbox -pid-sandbox buildpkg distcc" # -userfetch -userpriv"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="${EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS} --usepkg"
#DISTCC_IO_TIMEOUT=30                                                                                                                                                                 
DISTCC_LOG="/tmp/distcc.log"                                                                                                                                                         
#DISTCC_VERBOSE=1                                                                                                                                                                     
MAKEOPTS="-j70 -l12"                                                                                                                                                                 
#MAKEOPTS="-j12"

... and the tail of distcc log:
Code:

distcc[3967] 11823232 bytes from /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx compiled on linuxserver in 11.2919s, rate 1023kB/s                                                                                                                                   distcc[3967] compile /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/CMakeFiles/WebEngineCore.dir/Unity/unity_0_cxx.cxx on linuxserver/70 completed ok
distcc[3967] elapsed compilation time 11.292266s
distcc[3967] (dcc_exit) exit: code 0; self: 0.004300 user 0.004300 sys; children: 0.607579 user 0.099740 sys
distcc[3973] (dcc_scan_args) called for link?  i give up                                                                                                                             
distcc[3973] exec on localhost: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/accessibility_tree_formatter_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_accessibility_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/authentication_dialog_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/autofill_client_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/autofill_popup_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_accessibility_manager_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_main_parts_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_message_filter_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browsing_data_remover_delegate_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/certificate_error_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/chromium_overrides.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/client_cert_select_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/client_hints.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/clipboard_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/color_chooser_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/color_chooser_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/qt_messages.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/compositor.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/content_gpu_client_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/display_overrides.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/display_software_output_surface.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/native_skia_output_device.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/content_browser_client_qt.o /var/tmp/p
distcc[3974] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++: Argument list too long
distcc[3974] (dcc_exit) exit: code 110; self: 0.000000 user 0.003660 sys; children: 0.000000 user 0.000000 sys                                                                       
distcc[3973] (dcc_collect_child) cc times: user 0.000000s, system 0.000000s, 0 minflt, 0 majflt                                                                                       
distcc[3973] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed with exit code 110                                                                                                             
distcc[3973] elapsed compilation time 0.011420s                                                                                                                                       
distcc[3973] (dcc_exit) exit: code 110; self: 0.014649 user 0.000000 sys; children: 0.000000 user 0.003913 sys                                                                       
distcc[4910] (dcc_scan_args) called for link?  i give up                                                                                                                             
distcc[4910] exec on localhost: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -fPIC -march=znver1 -mtune=znver2 -O3 -pipe -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,--no-undefined -Wl,--version-script,/var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/api/WebEngineCore.version /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/accessibility_tree_formatter_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_accessibility_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/authentication_dialog_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/autofill_client_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/autofill_popup_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_accessibility_manager_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_main_parts_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browser_message_filter_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/browsing_data_remover_delegate_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/certificate_error_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/chromium_overrides.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/client_cert_select_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/client_hints.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/clipboard_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/color_chooser_controller.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/color_chooser_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/qt_messages.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/compositor.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/content_gpu_client_qt.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/display_overrides.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/display_software_output_surface.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/native_skia_output_device.o /var/tmp/portage/dev-qt/qtwebengine-6.7.3/work/qtwebengine-everywhere-src-6.7.3_build/src/core/RelWithDebInfo/x86_64/obj/QtWebEngineCore/content_browser_client_qt.o /var/tmp/p                                                                                                  distcc[4911] (dcc_execvp) ERROR: failed to exec x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++: Argument list too long                                                                                       
distcc[4911] (dcc_exit) exit: code 110; self: 0.000000 user 0.003651 sys; children: 0.000000 user 0.000000 sys                                                                       
distcc[4910] (dcc_collect_child) cc times: user 0.000000s, system 0.000000s, 0 minflt, 0 majflt                                                                                       
distcc[4910] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed with exit code 110                                                                                                             
distcc[4910] elapsed compilation time 0.011288s                                                                                                                                       
distcc[4910] (dcc_exit) exit: code 110; self: 0.008630 user 0.005753 sys; children: 0.000000 user 0.003859 sys

Last edited by jpsollie on Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:
distcc server

I'm not very competent to analyze this setup. I hope others will come up with ideas of what might be going on. But what you describe is not normal. Even I didn't have such problems when I run a quad core CPU from 2007 with 6GB RAM.

But I strongly suggest using the binhost for that particular package. I have a 16T CPU with 32GB of RAM and I don't waste time compiling it although it would take 2 to 3 hours max. Compiling those(chromium derived pieces or crap) on whatever hardware is a waste of resource.

Best Regards,
Georgi
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

You're too optimistic:

Code:

You are picking up from an previous failed job.

So why you are using "ebuild" to run? Why not using emerge so we can see from beginning where the error?
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
jpsollie wrote:
logrusx wrote:

Best Regards,
Georgi

You're too optimistic:

Code:

You are picking up from an previous failed job.

Exactly what I meant.

pingtoo wrote:
So why you are using "ebuild" to run? Why not using emerge so we can see from beginning where the error?

I hadn't noticed that. Maybe to save time, but this is exactly how not to share error output. That's why the real cause is not visible. Whatever has failed has already failed and now jobs counting on that to do their job fail too.

There may still be low memory condition but this should be checked on the distcc server.

p.s. I'm not sure if the command I posted above greps for the right thing. I haven't had it on this computer and the old one is not functional.

Best Regards,
Georgi
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: