What has replace IRC for live gentoo chat/assistance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
millivanilli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: What has replace IRC for live gentoo chat/assistance Reply with quote

Hello!

I used to be the world's biggest IRC fan for helping people to install gentoo and yes, to get help installing gentoo.

Alas it is not 1994 anymore and I shall perhaps truly need to move on. Besides the obvious exception of Discord, where should I go to get help with Gentoo? I've been away from the community for a few years and now find myself struggling with basic sys admin issues. Issues of the sort with which it would be wrong to clog up the forum.

Any help please?

Thanks! Party on fellow gentoos!!
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain if you're trying to avoid IRC or not, so.... IRC?

https://www.gentoo.org/get-involved/irc-channels/
pietinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

millivanilli,

first of all: Welcome to our Gentoo Forums! :D

The following is my personal opinion and may differ from others:

1. Our Libera IRC channel #gentoo is very active and far from having to say goodbye to it.

2. I don't like discord (but that's because I just can't find my way around there and everything is too colorful ... I'm just an old man) and therefore don't recommend it. But others think it's great. But it is - at the moment - not yet officially supported.

3. Apart from IRC, only THIS forum is an official support medium.

4. The community of this forum (=all users) is always happy about new users who want to help from time to time.

5. Questions that have not already been answered (it is best to search with a search engine and forget the forum's own search) are always interesting - also for other users.

6. Neddy says: "There are no stupid questions - except the one never asked."

7. He also says: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. I try to teach fishing without letting any students drown."

8. As a moderator AND user, I naturally want to attract every Gentoo user to our forum.

Just start asking (new) questions; if they are known questions, don't be sad if they are only answered by posting a link ;-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: