Forums Upgrade Status 2024
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject: Forums Upgrade Status 2024 Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
pingtoo wrote:

Shouldn't you be asking this question to MX linux community? And ask them compare Gentoo to MX linux and why they still choose MX Linux?

I'm interested in knowing what users of Linux variants other than MX Linux think of MX Linux. Not it's technical features, but it's level of support and strength of community. I'm not sure that asking the MX Linux community such a question is going to help much. And asking the MX Linux community what they think of Gentoo probably won't help me much, because I already know what I think about Gentoo.

I suspect that joining the MX Linux forum and asking "Does your distribution have a future?" is likely to be seen as trolling, at the least. Especially if it's the first question I ask.

BR, Lars.

So I went to MX linux site and check their forums. I can't say anything about the distro since I don't use it. BUT I like the forum setting. I think it is using modern phpBB. I wish Gentoo team can spend more effort on the forum upgrade than try to make binary host that will please everyone.

Also have you consider antiX? it seems to closer to your idea of using an old (not so powerful) system.

Split off of: MX Linux v. Gentoo on old hardwareChiitoo
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
I wish Gentoo team can spend more effort on the forum upgrade than try to make binary host that will please everyone.
The groups are different and don't impact the other (directly anyway). Resources dedicated to making a binary host are not the same involved in upgrading phpbb. There's a topic on that elsewhere, which I believe mentions some of the issues.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
pingtoo wrote:
I wish Gentoo team can spend more effort on the forum upgrade than try to make binary host that will please everyone.
The groups are different and don't impact the other (directly anyway). Resources dedicated to making a binary host are not the same involved in upgrading phpbb. There's a topic on that elsewhere, which I believe mentions some of the issues.

This forum currently has sections that have been made read only, locked, and disappeared.

Find forum software acceptable for the future, keep this read only or locked at perhaps legacy.gentoo.org or some such, and link back into the content as needed from the newer forum.

There is a lot of content, that while interesting to read from a historical context, is not relevant to the current versions of anything we are using.

*the caveat about forgetting past follies remains
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is off topic for this thread and is at least in part not relevant to some of the factors.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why so sensitive about talking forum software upgrade?

I understood that forums management team are different from binary host team.

I just express a wishful thinking about forums software because I saw how a modern version can be. Even thought I agree the current forum software version is adequate for how everyone interaction. Just that it would be better if the same enthusiastic that put in to making Gentoo binary host were apply to upgrade forums software.

There is a thread from 14 years ago started with a wish of binary host and were counter with explain why making binary package for Gentoo is not piratical. yet 14 years later effort were there to put in to make it happen and in some way currently the binary package host is being push to be way of future Gentoo.

Please NOTE. I am not against making Gentoo having binary ready. I just feel doing so is not so good for Gentoo's future.

And I disagree about this talk about forum software upgrade is off topic. Because the topic of this thread is about compare MX linux vs Gentoo. As distro comparison, it should not be simple as how will the distro integrate its packages together. But also the day 2 afterward, how will the distro being support and maintained. that include user friendly support system. So a lesser friendly support system become a disadvantage of the distro.

I want in to the MX linux forums and searched a few topics that were matter to OP, for example "opencl" and "freecad", I found quickly about those discussion from the forums search. I fell this is very nice that it is easy to get the relevant points for those queries related to the distro from users point of view.

Anyway, if any one feel need to discuss my point of view (in term of binary package host or forums software upgrade) please let me know, I be happy to open a new Topic thread,
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
[...] There's a topic on that elsewhere, which I believe mentions some of the issues.

pingtoo wrote:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/880071

https://bugs.gentoo.org/911329

You see our forums project lead @Chiitoo is about to initiate a forums upgrade and therefore there is no need to discuss it anymore ... at least not with the administrators of the forum (let alone the moderators) ...

pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
pjp wrote:
[...] There's a topic on that elsewhere, which I believe mentions some of the issues.

pingtoo wrote:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/880071

https://bugs.gentoo.org/911329

You see our forums project lead @Chiitoo is about to initiate a forums upgrade and therefore there is no need to discuss it anymore ... at least not with the administrators of the forum (let alone the moderators) ...

Come on!. Let's separate wishful thinking from reality. Your statement "our forums project lead @Chiitoo is about to initiate a forums upgrade" is not true. From the two bug thread you quote, there is nothing indicate any action on going or in near future.

In the 880071, Chiitoo last post is at 2022 and 2023 with check to see if something is happening and two more post in 2024 that check again with no responses. And in the 911329 there is just checking Infra team for hardware readiness at 2023. again no response.

pietinger, I fully respect your dedication to Gentoo, and I see your help to many newcomer to Gentoo that is greatly promote Gentoo as whole. I wish I can be as good as you and your dedication. But please don't lead a falsehood impression that something is happening.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
[...] But please don't lead a falsehood impression that something is happening.

Perhaps you have not taken this statement sufficiently into account:
pietinger wrote:

... ;-)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:

Forum threads outside of Chat are not a free-for-all, consider derailing a thread to being rude to the OP.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
pingtoo wrote:

Forum threads outside of Chat are not a free-for-all, consider derailing a thread to being rude to the OP.

My apology to lars_the_bear should you consider my post as rude.

Yes, my statement about wishing forum software upgrade is no direct relationship about the topic. But it is not the entire post of my view to answer OP conversation. as such I don't understand why it got take out as thing that is out of topic, Many times fellow gentoo forum post will include idea/feeling not direct to the thread topic and I don't see them be take out.

To Moderators, please split this in to a new topic thread should you wish to continue discuss my point of view. (And the reason I wish moderator move is because I wish to lead a trail so someone later can follow the development of the conversation)
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
pingtoo wrote:
[...] But please don't lead a falsehood impression that something is happening.

Perhaps you have not taken this statement sufficiently into account:
pietinger wrote:

... ;-)

I am not sure I understand, what "statement" I need to take in to account? because I see the quite just container 3 dots.

Please note, I am not questioning if the upgrade is in progress or not. I am concern that the quoted bug posts does not contain any fact that support the statement that upgrade is on going or is about to happen. A simple referral without much of detail and the referral actually does not support the declared statement lead to a false impression that statement itself must be true.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off of: MX Linux v. Gentoo on old hardware

While the forums project members have gone through various test runs of migrating to phpBB-3 since 2017, we still lack the home for it.

We do not have access to the infra knobs that are required, so in addition to our team, we need someone from the infra project to have the time and interest to set things up on their side (the last person to work with us for this retired from Gentoo development).

All we can do at this time, is pester the infra members from time to time to see if we could some day or/and night work on it.

Perhaps 2025 will be the Year of the Gentoo Big Forum Upgrade. :]
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiitoo wrote:
Split off of: MX Linux v. Gentoo on old hardware

While the forums project members have gone through various test runs of migrating to phpBB-3 since 2017, we still lack the home for it.

We do not have access to the infra knobs that are required, so in addition to our team, we need someone from the infra project to have the time and interest to set things up on their side (the last person to work with us for this retired from Gentoo development).

All we can do at this time, is pester the infra members from time to time to see if we could some day or/and night work on it.

Perhaps 2025 will be the Year of the Gentoo Big Forum Upgrade. :]

Thank you very much for the update!

It is good to know it is lack of resource. Not lack of will for doing upgrade.

If you need a hand please don't hesitate let me know I be happy do whatever I can. (if it is funding issue please also let me know, I will try do as much as I can)
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one last word about:

pingtoo wrote:
[...] I see your help to many newcomer to Gentoo [...]

I have already seen that you do the same. :P

pingtoo wrote:
[...] I wish I can be as good as you and your dedication. [...]

I have read many of your posts and see that your IT knowledge far exceeds mine in MANY areas. :D

Please read the following with a smile: :lol:

When I say “...” sometimes this means: I won't say anything without a lawyer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: