mp3/mp4 players
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: mp3/mp4 players Reply with quote

I have had it with my ipod and my friends ipod.
I am looking for a mp3 that I can usb mount and drop (copy with thunar or terminal) mp3 or mp4 to it.
mp4 is not necessary but I cant rule it out.

mp3 is the priority and the smaller the better.

Please throw me a bone.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to mention that there's the USB-storage and the MTP (media transport protocol) USB media players protocol to write/read music/whatever to the device. I think the USB-storage ones are not the "right" protocol for these things unless the device is completely disabled while connected to the computer; if you expect it to be somewhat functional (able to browse/play media, etc.) then MTP is the better protocol.

MTP is supported by gvfs so they can be accessed as a "directory" in Thunar but are not normally visible as a directory because of its restrictions of file locking. USB storage, which by definition cannot lock (though you can fake it and risk data loss) you can access via normal directory traversal, of course.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly it sounds like pretty much any 30$ off-the-shelf mp3 player from 20 years ago. Apparently similar devices start at around 5$ now, so just risk it.
Those things tend to act like any other memory stick when plugged into USB port, no special protocols required.

Edit: an mp3 player does not have to be "functional" in any capacity at all when plugged into a PC. You have a whole PC on you, just use it instead in the meantime.
Edit2: there are models with a rechargeable battery as well as with a replaceable battery. Although I don't recall battery life to have ever been a problem, the latter might be a better option for very intense use. In particular if you have some A4 NiMH cells around. The ones with replaceable batteries look like thick pendrives, while rechargeable tend to be flatter, shorter, wider, and more rectangular, and come with a USB cable. instead of just a USB plug. Just in case you need some keywords to find the one in shape you prefer ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: