Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Depclean but exclude kernel sources?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:43 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Depclean but exclude kernel sources? Reply with quote

I want to manage the versions of the kernel sources I have on my machine manually. I'm using ~amd64 gentoo-sources and I update the running kernel on my machine about every 30 days. As newer versions of gentoo-sources come in I delete older ones I'm not using manually. What I end up with is the latest version of gentoo-sources plus the source trees of the kernels I have installed on my machine. I keep about the last 3 I have installed. I'm happy with that setup.

Now let's say I want to run emerge --depclean to get rid of old packages. Included in that list will be all of the older versions of gentoo-sources except the latest one. I don't want depclean to get rid of any of the gentoo-sources packages. I have to manually execute an emerge --depclean copying over all of the other packages except for the gentoo-sources packages I want to keep.

Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a way I can tell depclean to ignore gentoo-sources packages?

Last edited by gentoo_ram on Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
grknight
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Depclean but exclude kernel sources? Reply with quote

gentoo_ram wrote:
Is there an easier way to do this? Is there a way I can tell depclean to ignore gentoo-sources packages?

emerge --depclean --ask --exclude sys-kernel/gentoo-sources Then clean them up at your leisure.

Alternatively, don't put "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" in the world file alone. If the slot is installed, e.g. emerge --noreplace sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.15.127, it will remain installed until you ask it to be removed. It will not upgrade until you ask for a new sources as well.
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the options.
logrusx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a clarification I find important, if you exclude more than one packages, they should be in a quoted string, space separated. Otherwise only the first one will be excluded and the rest will be taken as arguments to emerge.

Best Regards,
Georgi
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Depclean but exclude kernel sources? Reply with quote

grknight wrote:
gentoo_ram wrote:

emerge --depclean --ask --exclude sys-kernel/gentoo-sources Then clean them up at your leisure.

Alternatively, don't put "sys-kernel/gentoo-sources" in the world file alone. If the slot is installed, e.g. emerge --noreplace sys-kernel/gentoo-sources:5.15.127, it will remain installed until you ask it to be removed. It will not upgrade until you ask for a new sources as well.

Yep, manpages though refer to --exclude as an option that prevents installation, but do not make explicit statement about deinstallation
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: