Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Partition can't be mounted at boot but can be mounted by....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2024 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluey_the_dog,

Now it become the question on why dn_numag is 128.

I suspect it is the partition size.

the numag stand for number of allocation groups.

This may be a limitation of the jfsutils code. but unfortunately it is no longer being maintained. so unless you want to dig in the source code and patch your self, you may be out of luck.

may be you can try to resize the partition to say 500GB (or bit less) and try jfs_debugfs to see if it still report the dn_numag = 128.
Bluey_the_dog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pingtoo,
To clarify, that statement came from the first two "tests", the kernels that worked. The partition would mount to /home upon boot so to test if the partition would also mount manually, "mount /dev/.......", I would just try and mount it to some other point, actually /mnt/ddd. I just did the same thing for all of the tests, for the second two, the ones that failed, I just did the same thing, try and mount to /mnt/ddd. Nothing special, no tasks taking a hold of things etc.

The thing that confuses me is that I am currently sitting at a machine that is running a standard gentoo-sources, 6.2.1 and as time has passed, plenty of previous kernels, and jfs has JUST WORKED. Why did someone decide that they wanted to come into the code and play merry hell with a big stick. They obviously didn't test the code as a partition of 531.5G is nothing out of the ordinary these days. Probably some deadhead trying to justify his/her existence and in doing so has caused, at least to me, a lot of lost time. Did the person who did this change work for RedHat by some chance?

Andrew
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pingtoo wrote:
However it is only exist in master branch or v6.12-<rc*>,

on 6.10 tag and 6.11 tag does not have this check
Github Linux kernel v6.11 tag:
   bmp->db_numag = le32_to_cpu(dbmp_le->dn_numag);
   if (!bmp->db_numag) {
      err = -EINVAL;
      goto err_release_metapage;
   }
So may be the binary kernel cherry-picked a patch to build.
As I hinted at above, the offending check was backported into stable kernels. So v6.10 lacks it, but v6.10.13 has it. I only found it so readily because OP reported that v6.10.12 is good, v6.10.13 is bad, and the author happened to put jfs in the commit message.
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
The thing that confuses me is that I am currently sitting at a machine that is running a standard gentoo-sources, 6.2.1 and as time has passed, plenty of previous kernels, and jfs has JUST WORKED.
Yes, because v6.2.1 was released long long before the validating check was added. The commit that I suspect (but have not tested) to be the cause of your problem was authored 2024-08-19. v6.2.1 was released 2023-02-25. The entire v6.2.x line was abandoned before the suspect commit was authored.
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
Why did someone decide that they wanted to come into the code and play merry hell with a big stick.
Did you read the commit message to which I linked? It clearly explains that this is a sanity check to reject broken inputs. The wording strongly implies to me that in the absence of this check, other code will misbehave.
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
They obviously didn't test the code as a partition of 531.5G is nothing out of the ordinary these days.
This is an excessive generalization. While you could infer that the stricter check was not done on a filesystem of the characteristics you have, we do not have evidence that it fails on a tiny JFS filesystem. Yes, 531G is easily attainable today, but is JFS routinely created on large modern filesystems? Since it is a legacy filesystem, there may be few people - and none of them kernel developers - who have recently created JFS filesystems. If most people only use JFS to access legacy filesystems that have not been replaced, and those legacy filesystems are necessarily smaller because they were created when storage was more limited, then they might not be impacted.
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
Probably some deadhead trying to justify his/her existence
As above, this is an unwarranted assumption. If you had read the commit I linked, you would see this was done apparently in good faith. Your attack is inappropriate. While it seems plausible that the check was done incorrectly, we have no evidence it was introduced just to cause problems.
Bluey_the_dog wrote:
and in doing so has caused, at least to me, a lot of lost time. Did the person who did this change work for RedHat by some chance?
If you read the commit I linked, you will see the author uses a gmail address. While a Red Hat employee might do that, it seems more likely that this person is not associated with Red Hat.
Bluey_the_dog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,
Are you Hu or Pingtoo? It is 9am in Perth and I haven't been to bed yet and I'm getting confused as to who is who.

I don't want to get into a flame war but I am a Civil Engineer and have written code that is used in the analysis & design of multi story building, bridges, wharves etc, stuff that we test, test and test again before we release, we don't write the code then release "in good faith". To do so could cause the deaths of many people so hopefully you can understand my irritation at reading things such as "...and none of them kernel developers - who have recently created JFS filesystems."

By the way, no, I had not read the commit you linked to. The very few times I have looked at kernel code, I come away bewildered as I have no idea as to the context & conventions used in the code.

So what do I do now? Dump JFS?

Regards,
Andrew
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu is Hu, and Hu is on first. Pingtoo is Pingtoo, and is on second.

If you are tired enough to mix up who is answering Hu, then I suggest you log off and get some sleep. At that level of exhaustion, it is dangerously easy to make system-killing mistakes while engaging in routine administration.

I cannot comment on whether you should dump JFS, though the references in this thread to its deprecation status would make me concerned about using it. As I see it, your options are:
  • Dump JFS.
  • Nicely report to the kernel maintainers that recent kernels fail to mount your JFS system. Be prepared to share enough information to convince them. A succinct reproducible test case would be very helpful here.
  • Locally revert the bad commit in your kernels going forward.
  • Stop upgrading your kernel.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: