Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Experience with any Snapdragon Laptop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banana

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Experience with any Snapdragon Laptop Reply with quote

Does anybody have already experience with a Snapdragon X Laptop and Gentoo?

A search here for Snapdragon did not result in anything recent.

PFL - Portage file list - find which package a file or command belongs to.
My delta-labs.org snippets do expire
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not quite yet. Kernel support for all the drivers isn't all in. Even when the drivers are all in, each machine is likely to need to a different Device tree configuration.
Banana

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx. Thought arm support was more common in the linux world. Or is this something new and special?

The main thing why I'm interested in those: Battery running time.

gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is ARM support in the Linux kernel. But it takes more than that. You need drivers for the actual devices that are on the machine. Stuff like power controllers, memory controllers, Wifi chips, Bluetooth chips, storage controllers, etc. And, in the ARM world, you need to specify how the various pieces of hardware are connected together and where in the memory map the registers are used to control them. That's what device trees are for.

The PC world is different. Different manufacturers try to make their low level interfaces conform to various standards so that the kernel can figure out how to talk to all of the them. In the ARM world each piece of hardware is configured differently. The kernel must be given a "device tree" which is a map to the hardware configuration.

Qualcomm is still working on adding drivers for much of the chip internals. Then we're going to need device tree configurations for the different models out there.

https://www.qualcomm.com/developer/blog/2024/05/upstreaming-linux-kernel-support-for-the-snapdragon-x-elite

In the mean time if you want to experiment with ARM hardware how about trying hardware that is well supported. Like a Raspberry Pi or something similar. I've converted my main server at home from an aging PC to a RPi 5. It's a snappy little machine that takes much less energy.
Banana

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more like: Oh, maybe a new latop? Why not something new with very good battery life?

Thx for the informations so far, looks like I will wait :-)

Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also considering to upgrade my notebook soon and was thinking about the Lenovo Yoga 7x. The combination of similar or maybe better performance and longer battery time was somehow charming to me.

What I have absolutely no idea on is once the kernel has full support for Snapdragon, what about the rest of the Portage tree? Wouldn't it be necessary to develop every package with proper ARM support?

Kernel 6.11. should have much better support:
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Linux-6.11-SoC-Platforms

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
gentoo_ram
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, the core system "just works" on ARM. Think of it this way, I'd say that most of the routers out there on the market are running some form of Linux. And a large percentage of them are some kind ARM chip. Linux ARM support has all been there for quite a while.

I have an ARM-based VM on my MacBook that runs an Ubuntu image. It includes the full desktop environment.

And, finally, I have a small Gentoo VM running on my M3 Max MacBook Pro. That is, by far, the fastest Gentoo environment I own. It absolutely flies. I'm looking forward to Snapdragon based hardware as well. Whether it happens with the current generation of chips or we have to wait another generation I predict they will be wonderful.
DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have gotten it to boot and running KDE plasma on a new Asus Vivobook S 15 OLED

In my experience (using gentoo-kernel):

Working:
- Screen
- Keyboard
- Trackpad
- Wifi
- USB-C

Not Working:
- Audio
- Battery tracking
- USB-A

Not tested:
- HDMI
- MicroSD
- Camera
- Microphone

For whatever reason, wayland takes a ton of CPU power, X11 works smooth.

Last edited by DColt on Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Banana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DColt

I think you are off topic here. I was asking about the ARM processors and the mentioned Asus Vivobook does have not such one, right?

DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banana wrote:
@DColt

I think you are off topic here. I was asking about the ARM processors and the mentioned Asus Vivobook does have not such one, right?

No I'm not, it's one of the new versions running the Snapdragon X Elite, which to very much is running ARM https://www.asus.com/laptops/for-home/vivobook/asus-vivobook-s-15-s5507/techspec/
According to fast fetch: Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite 1E80100 (12)
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcolt,

first of all: Welcome to the Gentoo Forum ! :D

And thank you for your contribution. Please don't be put off by the fact that there are sometimes misunderstandings. It just happens. But we are a friendly forum and welcome every new gentoo user.

Other users would certainly be very happy to hear about your experiences. You may also want to provide some technical information, such as the output of a "lsmod" or these:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Overview_of_System_Information

(only if you have the time and inclination, of course)
DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you pietinger :)
Happy to be here.

Quote:
Please don't be put off by the fact that there are sometimes misunderstandings. It just happens.

I wasn't put off, I'm happy to provide extra information to try and clarify any misunderstands.

Quote:
Other users would certainly be very happy to hear about your experiences. You may also want to provide some technical information, such as the output of a "lsmod" or these:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Overview_of_System_Information

I'll provide these shortly, can be fun to give something back to a community that I've been using for many years now.
DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for those interested in the system information, here's the blocks that was listed on https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Pietinger/Overview_of_System_Information
And please let me know if there's any additional information you'd like me to post.

Code:
dcolt@Luu ~ $ emerge --info
Portage 3.0.66.1 (python 3.12.7-final-0, default/linux/arm64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd, gcc-14, glibc-2.40-r5, 6.11.3-gentoo-dist aarch64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-6.11.3-gentoo-dist-aarch64-with-glibc2.40
KiB Mem:    31958500 total,  24277264 free
KiB Swap:   31958012 total,  31958012 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 16:18:25 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 2b22fc2f16c3b4c8b75b88010086c9af3aa17a5e

Timestamp of repository guru: Wed, 16 Oct 2024 15:18:19 +0000
Head commit of repository guru: 2d9bd8241b1e77ff4435811b1bfbb96421620468

sh bash 5.2_p37
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.43 p2) 2.43.1
app-misc/pax-utils:        1.3.8::gentoo
app-shells/bash:           5.2_p37::gentoo
dev-build/autoconf:        2.13-r8::gentoo, 2.72-r1::gentoo
dev-build/automake:        1.17-r1::gentoo
dev-build/cmake:           3.30.5::gentoo
dev-build/libtool:         2.5.3::gentoo
dev-build/make:            4.4.1-r100::gentoo
dev-build/meson:           1.5.2::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:             5.40.0::gentoo
dev-lang/python:           3.12.7_p1::gentoo, 3.13.0::gentoo
dev-lang/rust-bin:         1.81.0::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:       2.15::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:          2.39::gentoo
sys-apps/systemd:          256.7::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:        2.43-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils-config: 5.5.2::gentoo
sys-devel/clang:           18.1.8::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:             14.2.1_p20240921::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:      2.11::gentoo
sys-devel/lld:             18.1.8::gentoo
sys-devel/llvm:            18.1.8-r4::gentoo, 19.1.2::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers:  6.11::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:            2.40-r5::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo.git
    priority: -1000
    volatile: False

guru
    sync-type: git
    sync-uri: https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/guru.git
    masters: gentoo

local
    masters: gentoo

Binary Repositories:

gentoobinhost
    priority: 1
    sync-uri: https://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/arm64/binpackages/23.0/arm64

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="arm64 ~arm64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="@FREE"
CBUILD="aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-flto=12 -march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/sofficerc /usr/share/config /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/dconf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php8.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php8.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php8.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/fpm-php8.3/ext-active/ /etc/php/phpdbg-php8.3/ext-active/ /etc/sandbox.d"
CXXFLAGS="-flto=12 -march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/var/cache/distfiles"
ENV_UNSET="CARGO_HOME DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS DISPLAY GDK_PIXBUF_MODULE_FILE GOBIN GOPATH PERL5LIB PERL5OPT PERLPREFIX PERL_CORE PERL_MB_OPT PERL_MM_OPT XAUTHORITY XDG_CACHE_HOME XDG_CONFIG_HOME XDG_DATA_HOME XDG_RUNTIME_DIR XDG_STATE_HOME"
FCFLAGS="-flto=12 -march=native -O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-docompress binpkg-dostrip binpkg-logs binpkg-multi-instance buildpkg-live config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles ipc-sandbox merge-sync merge-wait multilib-strict network-sandbox news parallel-fetch pid-sandbox pkgdir-index-trusted preserve-libs protect-owned qa-unresolved-soname-deps sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-flto=12 -march=native -O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_US.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-O3 -Wl,--as-needed"
LEX="flex"
MAKEOPTS="-j12 -l12"
PKGDIR="/var/cache/binpkgs"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
SHELL="/bin/bash"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi activities alsa arm64 bash-completion bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr compress-xz crypt cups dbus declarative dist-kernel dracut dri dts dvdr encode exif extra ffmpeg flac gdbm gif git gles2 gpm graphite grub gstreamer gtk gui iconv icu ipv6 jack-client jpeg kde kernel-install kf6compat kwallet lcms libnotify libtirpc lto mad mng mount mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses networkmanager nls offensive ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf pgo pipewire pipewire-alsa plasma png policykit postproc ppds pulseaudio qml qt5 qt6 readline screencast sdl seccomp semantic-desktop sound spell ssl startup-notification svg systemd test-rust tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vim-syntax vorbis vulkan wayland widgets wxwidgets x264 xa xattr xcb xft xml xv xvfb xvid zlib" ADA_TARGET="gcc_12" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_anon authn_dbm authn_file authz_dbm authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon sheets words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_ARM="aes asimddp crc32 edsp i8mm sha1 sha2 sm4 v8 vfp vfp-d32 vfpv3 vfpv4" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock greis isync itrax mtk3301 ntrip navcom oceanserver oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 tsip tripmate tnt ublox" GUILE_SINGLE_TARGET="3-0" GUILE_TARGETS="3-0" INPUT_DEVICES="libinput" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb text" LUA_SINGLE_TARGET="lua5-1" LUA_TARGETS="lua5-1" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php8-3" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres17" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_12" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby32" VIDEO_CARDS="freedreno" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tarpit sysrq proto logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  ADDR2LINE, AR, ARFLAGS, AS, ASFLAGS, CC, CCLD, CONFIG_SHELL, CPP, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, CXXFILT, ELFEDIT, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, EXTRA_ECONF, F77FLAGS, FC, GCOV, GPROF, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, LD, LFLAGS, LIBTOOL, LINGUAS, MAKE, MAKEFLAGS, NM, OBJCOPY, OBJDUMP, PORTAGE_BINHOST, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PYTHONPATH, RANLIB, READELF, RUSTFLAGS, SIZE, STRINGS, STRIP, YACC, YFLAGS

dmesg: https://paste.gentoo.zip/xYRYVPgp

Code:
dcolt@Luu ~ $ sudo lspci -nnk
0004:00:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc Device [17cb:0111]
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
0004:01:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc WCN785x Wi-Fi 7(802.11be) 320MHz 2x2 [FastConnect 7800] [17cb:1107] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device [105b:e0ef]
        Kernel driver in use: ath12k_pci
        Kernel modules: ath12k
0006:00:00.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Qualcomm Technologies, Inc Device [17cb:0111]
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
0006:01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Micron Technology Inc 2400 NVMe SSD (DRAM-less) [1344:5413] (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Micron Technology Inc Device [1344:2100]
        Kernel driver in use: nvme
        Kernel modules: nvme

Code:
dcolt@Luu ~ $ fastfetch
         -/oyddmdhs+:.                 dcolt@Luu
     -odNMMMMMMMMNNmhy+-`              ---------
   -yNMMMMMMMMMMMNNNmmdhy+-            OS: Gentoo 2.15 aarch64
 `omMMMMMMMMMMMMNmdmmmmddhhy/`         Host: ASUS Vivobook S 15 S5507QA_S5507QAD (1.0)
 omMMMMMMMMMMMNhhyyyohmdddhhhdo`       Kernel: Linux 6.11.3-gentoo-dist
.ydMMMMMMMMMMdhs++so/smdddhhhhdm+`     Uptime: 5 mins
 oyhdmNMMMMMMMNdyooydmddddhhhhyhNd.    Packages: 1139 (emerge)
  :oyhhdNNMMMMMMMNNNmmdddhhhhhyymMh    Shell: bash 5.2.37
    .:+sydNMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhhmMmy    Display (SDC41B1): 2880x1620 @ 60 Hz in 16" [Built-in]
       /mMMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhmMNhs:    DE: KDE Plasma 6.2.1
    `oNMMMMMMMNNNmmmddddhhdmMNhs+`     WM: KWin (X11)
  `sNMMMMMMMMNNNmmmdddddmNMmhs/.       WM Theme: Breeze
 /NMMMMMMMMNNNNmmmdddmNMNdso:`         Theme: Breeze (Dark) [Qt], Breeze-Dark [GTK2], Breeze [GTK3]
+MMMMMMMNNNNNmmmmdmNMNdso/-            Icons: breeze-dark [Qt], breeze-dark [GTK2/3/4]
yMMNNNNNNNmmmmmNNMmhs+/-`              Font: Noto Sans (10pt) [Qt], Noto Sans (10pt) [GTK2/3/4]
/hMMNNNNNNNNMNdhs++/-`                 Cursor: breeze (24px)
`/ohdmmddhys+++/:.`                    Terminal: konsole 24.8.2
  `-//////:--.                         CPU: Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite 1E80100 (12)
                                       GPU: llvmpipe (LLVM 18.1.8, 128 bits)
                                       Memory: 5.11 GiB / 30.48 GiB (17%)
                                       Swap: 0 B / 30.48 GiB (0%)
                                       Disk (/): 136.43 GiB / 682.43 GiB (20%) - xfs
                                       Disk (/var/tmp/portage): 628.66 MiB / 30.40 GiB (2%) - xfs
                                       Local IP (wlP4p1s0): 10.1.1.234/24
                                       Locale: en_US.utf8

Last but not least, the lsmod: https://paste.gentoo.zip/t5RIn76G
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DColt wrote:
[...] can be fun to give something back to a community that I've been using for many years now.

We love this thought! :D

Yes, the system log looks very different for an ARM than for AMD or Intel ... very interesting.

Normally you should not need rootdelay, as rootwait is completely sufficient.
Code:
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/kernel-6.11.3-gentoo-dist ... modprobe.blacklist=qcom_edac rootdelay=20 rootwait ...

It's not quite running smoothly yet:
Code:
[    5.597888] WARNING: CPU: 6 PID: 380 at drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-edp.c:814 init_module+0x92070/0x927f8 [panel_edp]

Maybe it would be a good idea to boot Ubuntu and look at the same thing there (lspci,lsmod,dmesg) and check if the sound works there ?
DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Normally you should not need rootdelay, as rootwait is completely sufficient.

I'm not sure if I've tested that, was stripping away the kernel flags to see if it would still boot 8O

I boosted up on the Ubuntu image I used as foundation to install gentoo (got it from [url]https://github.com/jglathe/linux_ms_dev_kit/wiki/Bootable-Image-for-multiple-Snapdragon-(SC8280XP)-and-Snapdragon-X-Elite-(X1E80100)-laptops[/url])

Audo still doesn't work, only real difference is they have a dummy driver.

lspci -nnk output: https://paste.gentoo.zip/H4v9BKrN
lsmod: https://paste.gentoo.zip/iKAAElr1
dmesg: https://paste.gentoo.zip/MbrHY4Zx
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are the same problems with ubuntu, I strongly suspect that you will have to wait for new kernel versions.
Code:
[    2.785077] WARNING: CPU: 1 PID: 95 at drivers/gpu/drm/panel/panel-edp.c:814 generic_edp_panel_probe+0x238/0x270 [panel_edp]

But that surprised me:
Code:
[    0.558232] *************************************************************
[    0.558235] **     NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE    **
[    0.558237] **                                                         **
[    0.558239] **  IOMMU DebugFS SUPPORT HAS BEEN ENABLED IN THIS KERNEL  **
[    0.558242] **                                                         **
[    0.558244] ** This means that this kernel is built to expose internal **
[    0.558246] ** IOMMU data structures, which may compromise security on **
[    0.558249] ** your system.                                            **
[    0.558251] **                                                         **
[    0.558253] ** If you see this message and you are not debugging the   **
[    0.558256] ** kernel, report this immediately to your vendor!         **
[    0.558258] **                                                         **
[    0.558261] **     NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE NOTICE    **
[    0.558263] *************************************************************

DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there are the same problems with ubuntu, I strongly suspect that you will have to wait for new kernel versions.

Based on what I'm seeing on LKML, there's active development on the X1E80100.
So yeah, not really ready for actual use yet :roll:

Quote:
But that surprised me:

I don't worry too much about that, as the image is from seems to be using a kernel from a dev kit kernel fork. I'm more amazed (and happy) that the gentoo-kernel is working out of the box, as smoothly as it is!
And I haven't found any official ubuntu image for arm to install, and even then it would need the 6.11 kernel to have a chance.
pietinger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DColt wrote:
[...] So yeah, not really ready for actual use yet :roll: [...]

Yes, I suppose these are exactly the experience values that are desired in this thread. 8)
DColt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me to be able to use it as a daily driver, the only thing missing that's mandatory is the Audio!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: