Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I maintain a copy of remote drive with rsync?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject: How do I maintain a copy of remote drive with rsync? Reply with quote

I'm getting lazy in my old age - too lazy to fight my way through the rsync man pages, at any rate. ;-)

I have a Raspberry Pi running Arch Linux that runs various minor services on my home network. It struck me that I don't have a backup process for it.
It's fairly small, and mostly only a few files being updated on a regular basis (apart from periodic system software updates with pacman). Probably the easiest way to back it up would be to maintain a folder on my desktop machine containing a clone of the entire Pi filesystem, using rsync. That would then get swept up in my usual desktop backup process (which happens to use app-arch/dump). Should disaster strike, I'd hope it would be "mount a new formatted and partitioned SD card locally on the desktop machine, then rsync the entire filesystem back".

I have rsync installed on both the Pi and my desktop. My preference would be to use the rsync daemon as root on the Pi - I have ssh set to deny root.

I'd be most grateful if someone who has a similar setup could post the outlines of commands and rsyncd.conf. So far I've come across --fake-root and --links, which seem essentials. The Arch wiki has a relevant article, but as it's missing both those options, either I'm over- or they're under-thinking it!
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIR this does everything:
rsync -aAXHS

The example rsync conf looks simple enough, probably just need to set path=/, and also chroot=yes is pointless if you're going to expose everything anyway, though it might as well "just work"™ with the default config. I've never used rsync daemon, always tunneled it through ssh.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: