Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wonder if it helps at all, when all your family and friends are saying 'to hell with it...' and just ignoring the problem?
That is a good point, one day I found my phone number on my gmail account. I've never given it to them, but there at least a few dozens other people's androids around me. Same thing about FB's shadow profiles collecting information on people who never registered. There's no way to keep everything private unless you dig yourself up into a hole and never come back.
Still, I think the amount of data can be mitigated quite a bit as long as you keep nagging your friends about not putting you on the internet, and I suppose the impact if this data is reduced too.
Say, adds: They are intended to change my behavior. Even if someone can tailor them for me, it won't work unless I actually see them.
saturnalia0
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, online privacy is a large topic, and as such one's approaches and their effectiveness depend on one's threat model. In this topic, where the browser itself is a threat actor, possibilities are eliminating either the threat (patching the browser) or the actor (using a different browser)... If the former is possible, is it the package manager's job? I don't think one could make such demand, but if sufficient resources are available, as a user I would be happy from benefiting from such patches. Hence my original question on weather Gentoo users are currently being offered such services by the volunteer maintainers. Other concerns may arise though, regarding the particular nature of each patch - for example, as aforementioned the so called Normandy feature may serve legitimate and important functions, which some users might want. I tried to embed this in my original question by calling such patches opinionated. Gentoo has mechanisms to allow users to choose what is or isn't included with packages, so I think such concerns are generally easily addressable.

For Firefox in particular, I would like to point out this thread on Reddit which I found to be quite illuminating and relevant to this topic: https://old.reddit.com/user/lo________________ol/comments/1f16i41/mozilla_freefall/ (archived at https://archive.is/zuPZe). If one believes that such topics warrant genuine concern, then one might question if eliminating the threat is even possible for this actor, and one might contemplate simply using a different browser (if one finds a suitable alternative for one's needs), and this discussion about Firefox and patching in general becomes moot. I don't think concerns surrounding the aforementioned moves by Mozilla aren't genuine, but I don't find them sufficient to change browsers, specially considering the fine balance one has to maintain between security, usability, and privacy, when looking for alternatives. And as such, I believe the discussion surrounding patches is not moot, though I think it largely depends on the maintainers and not on end user's views.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2024 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
what chance is there of changing the behaviour of people who don't even understand?
At least in the US, that's never going to change. It has become too convenient and integral to the lives of many. For one example, tradesmen are able to manage their business using their phone. It simply isn't a reasonable choice for them to "go back." I still have no use for a "smart" phone, and I increasingly have less and less use for a computer. It has become something I use to pass time and in general, create problems I otherwise wouldn't have. Related to that last point, it's 2024 and not many days pass when I don't hear someone comment on how much they "love" (jokingly) computers due to the number of problems they cause. There are fewer and fewer days between the times I consider turning everything off, and I sometimes wonder about the admissions requirements for joining a reclusive monastery.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: