Dual System Secure Boot (Gentoo+Windows), shim vs non shim
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nxe9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 12:49 am    Post subject: Dual System Secure Boot (Gentoo+Windows), shim vs non shim Reply with quote

Hi, I am considering secure boot on a dual system (gentoo + win11). I have read few articles and I want to make sure I understand the difference between shim and non shim secure boot in terms of security specifically with reference to one example.

Let’s assume we have a malware on our system which interfered with our boot binary. Let's assume that our private keys are well secured and the malicious actor has no access to them. In the case of non shim, for the system to boot the malware would have to modify the uefi db data. In turn, to do this, you would need a private key PK/KEK (which is not available) or resetting the PK (setup mode) and uploading your own, which would require running UEFI, i.e. physical access to the computer. In this case, the malware would not harm us regarding the boot process.

In the case of shim, the MOK list is modified. Since the MOK list is not stored in UEFI memory, malware could modify not only our boot binary, but also the MOK list without having physical access to the computer, which would make it possible to start the system with replaced boot components. As a result, the safety associated with shim is lower than non shim.

So what are the benefits of shim? From what I understand, there is no need to backup old, delete old and generate new keys and create a compound (old+new) because the shim is signed with a Microsoft certificate. However, we do this at the expense of security, because we transfer some public keys to the operating system level.

Is everything I wrote correct?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: shim vs non shim Reply with quote

nxe9 wrote:
Since the MOK list is not stored in UEFI memory, [...]

The MOK list is stored in UEFI nonvolatile storage, a companion of the Shim program, the MokManager (mmx64.efi on Intel / AMD 64-bit architecture), puts it there (simplifying a bit here). Think of the MOK list as a 'parallel' UEFI db —the variable that can store public keys for verifying the signature of UEFI PE32+ files—.

nxe9 wrote:
So what are the benefits of shim?

Using the Secure Boot mechanisms, but without touching the PK, KEK, db and dbx. You need firmware cooperation for doing the latter, and there are notoriously bad firmware implementations of the UEFI specification out there...

It might also be convenient for installing binary-based distributions like Debian or Fedora on computers with Secure Boot enabled without having the user touch Secure Boot-related UEFI variables for booting them.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
nxe9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but there is still, in my opinion, a key difference. The MOK list can be reset and overwritten from the system level without knowing the private key. According to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Shim
Quote:
An import request for shim can be generated with:
Code:
# mokutil --import /boot/sbcert.der

Next reboot, shim will find that there is a pending import request and launch MokManager.

In the case of uefi db, I can only do it if I know the private key (PK/KEK) or have access to uefi mode (physical access to the computer). Correct?
GDH-gentoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mentioned in only one sentence in that Wiki article, but the MokManager does a password verification for that step. There is a procedure for setting up the password for importing a new MOK that I don't see described in the article.
As a packager I just don't want things to get messier with weird build systems and multiple toolchains requirements though :)
sMueggli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Secure Boot is based on a chain of trust. The root of this trust is the PK (platform key). The PK is usually set by the OEM or mainboard vendor. Where this chain of trust ends depends on the distribution. Normally the chain of trust ends with the signed kernel modules (but might end with shim).

The next step is the KEK (key exchange keys). The KEKs are signed with the PK.
At least one of the KEK is a Microsoft public key which is used to verify the signature of the Microsoft UEFI binaries and also to verify the signature of shim. Usually shim loads then Grub and is normally checking whether Grub is signed with a distribution specific key.

PK and KEK are public keys or certificates (not sure, but I guess they are certificates, not just public keys). They do not contain any private or secret stuff. Then there are at least two lists: db and dbx. The list of known certificates and the list of forbidden certificates (comparable with a CRL in a PKI).

You can replace every bit of this chain of trust, without knowing the private key. But usually this is only possible with physical access to the system. If the MOK list is part of the chain of trust, then the list must be signed with one of the "trustworthy" keys.

In an ideal world, the private keys are not stored (and were not created) on the system that is protected by Secure Boot.
nxe9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@GDH-gentoo: In my opinion, this does not change anything, because in fact, to add the signed modules to the MOK list I need to have a private key, but I can clear such MOK list from the system level (just as I can clear the PK and the entire trust chain from the UEFI level). Unless I'm still not understanding something.

@sMueggli: I more or less understand it the way you wrote it. What I meant was that in the case of a shim digitally signed by Microsoft I have two chains of trust. The first one from PK to shim, and the second one after shim. In my opinion, such a chain of trust is easier to break and can be broken from the operating system level. In the case of one continuous chain from PK to kernel modules I am not able to do this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: