View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Mozilla and SVG Reply with quote

Ok, can everyone who built Mozilla with the USE mozsvg flag please tell me what you get when you click on the examples at http://www.croczilla.com/svg/ ?

The last time I had this stuff working well and looking good was a Moz 1.3+SVG alpha build I had running on Red Hat. All the examples there looked perfect, including the ones that manipulated the DOM to cause cool effects.

Ever since installing Gentoo, I've been building my Mozilla with mozsvg. Up through 1.4, the croczilla examples only showed up in black and white, and the images themselves got distorted whenever something like a popup menu came up over them, or when a DOM operation moved them.

Now, I just emerged 1.5, and the examples don't work at all! :( It's as if SVG isn't even compiled in.

I also compiled this with USE gtk2 to make gnome/epiphany happy.

So, I just ask that you click on a few examples, and post:
1. What happens -- do they look good? Do they get distorted? Are they in color?
2. Which version of Mozilla?
3. Did you USE gtk2 when emerging Mozilla?

Also, can someone running a KDE 3.2 alpha check the same things?

Thanks!
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mozilla and SVG Reply with quote

yodermk wrote:

Ever since installing Gentoo, I've been building my Mozilla with mozsvg. Up through 1.4, the croczilla examples only showed up in black and white, and the images themselves got distorted whenever something like a popup menu came up over them, or when a DOM operation moved them.

AFAIK it was a problem with libart. No idea about Moz 1.5 though, sorry.

yodermk wrote:
Also, can someone running a KDE 3.2 alpha check the same things?

I've tried almost every SVG example on the web, and all of them render in konq 3.2, EXCEPT for croczilla. Apparently, the croczilla examples are pretty mozilla specific right now, using XBL, XUL, and XML Namespaces (the latter is standardized, but not very common yet, and neither ksvg nor adobe's svg plugin handle svg inside of XML nested namespaces, therefore each page is blank...)
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.

Obviously there was at one time a "good" version of libart. I wonder what steps one might take to get it to work right? Only the last few versions are in portage, and gnome-2.4 probably requires the latest.

But I thought Konqueror/SVG also used libart. So maybe it's something else, or the way Mozilla interacts with libart.

I've done a good deal of searching, and mentioned this in some other forums, usually with very little response. It's hard to believe people aren't more excited about Mozilla+SVG.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yodermk wrote:
Interesting.

Obviously there was at one time a "good" version of libart. I wonder what steps one might take to get it to work right? Only the last few versions are in portage, and gnome-2.4 probably requires the latest.

Mozilla uses a internal fork of libart.. apparently it's broken somehow wrt colors.

yodermk wrote:
But I thought Konqueror/SVG also used libart. So maybe it's something else, or the way Mozilla interacts with libart.

Yup, ksvg uses libart_gpl, the same version as librsvg in gnome2.x.

yodermk wrote:

I've done a good deal of searching, and mentioned this in some other forums, usually with very little response. It's hard to believe people aren't more excited about Mozilla+SVG.

I think it'll be a huge thing in the future :)

The problem is that it isn't enabled by default. In order to be, it has to reach a certain amount of maturity. I really hope it does soon, but I don't think it will before Mozilla 2.0. Moz 1.6's main focus will be in replacing Seamonkey with Firebird as the default interface.

It really will take more developers on the project though. One of the problems with Mozilla's SVG support is that it's a native implementation and is thus quite intertwined with the rest of the code. The Adobe SVG viewer is plugin based, and as such, is seperate from the browser. The downside to this is that only has access to as much of the DOM that ECMAScript (and the browser's support for it) allows. KSVG is somewhat halfway. It's also plugin based (it has to be made this way, since it's also used for other things in KDE, such as drawing icons), but it's support in Konqueror is done through a Konqueror plugin instead of a Netscape plugin. Konqueror plugins allow access to the full internals of the DOM instead of the public DOM that ECMAScript and Netscape plugins.

I guess Adobe could have implemented their SVG plugin as an ActiveX component on IE/Windows, but I guess they wanted to be compatable with MacIE. That might not be such a huge thing for them in the future as MacIE is dead.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mozilla and SVG Reply with quote

yodermk wrote:
Ok, can everyone who built Mozilla with the USE mozsvg flag please tell me what you get when you click on the examples at http://www.croczilla.com/svg/ ?

So, I just ask that you click on a few examples, and post:
1. What happens -- do they look good? Do they get distorted? Are they in color?
2. Which version of Mozilla?
3. Did you USE gtk2 when emerging Mozilla?

Thanks!

1: they look good for me, no distortion, colors are ok. http://www.croczilla.com/svg/mini-presentation/advanced-samples/xbl-shapes2.xml that one is pretty cool.

2: mozilla-1.4-r3
3: USE="-apm aalib acl acpi acpi4linux artswrappersuid bidi cdr cjk cscope \
directfb dvd esd ethereal faad fbcon gd gtk2 gtkhtml i8x0 imagemagick lzo \
mad mbox md5sum mng mozsvg nptl pcmcia pic rplay samba sasl sox sse \
canna stroke type1 usb Xaw3d xosd xvid zlib -3dnow -motif"
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AARGH! This apparently explains my complete lack of SVG in Moz 1.5. From the ebuild:

Code:
# Disable SVG until it's properly implemented
#   if [ -n "`use mozsvg`" ]
#   then
#      export MOZ_INTERNAL_LIBART_LGPL="1"
#      myconf="${myconf} --enable-svg"
#   else
#      myconf="${myconf} --disable-svg"
#   fi

Guess I could uncomment those and re-emerge 1.5 and see what happens. I now have gtk2 in my USE, whereas I did not with 1.4. That could have made a difference.

I hear on the newsgroup that some people are building Firebird with SVG. Hopefully there's a binary build out there somewhere. Doesn't look like the ebuild supports it.
yodermk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:( :( :( Guess they commented those lines for a reason.

Code:
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.5/work/mozilla/modules/zlib/standalone'
make[2]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.5/work/mozilla/other-licenses/libart_lgpl'
make[2]: warning: -jN forced in submake: disabling jobserver mode.
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `export'.  Stop.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.5/work/mozilla/other-licenses/libart_lgpl'
make[1]: *** [tier_1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/mozilla-1.5/work/mozilla'
make: *** [default] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-www/mozilla-1.5 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 358, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
dnix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent few days in trying use SVG in mozilla and the only answer I get is: Internet Explorer :evil:
there's no way at now to compile the 1.5 with svg because there's a problem with libart_lgpl. doesn't exist in the distribution, but exist in Makefile.

I dont know, but I want to use mozillaFirebird!
Shapierian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a way to get SVG support in mozilla 1.7b. I have a modified ebuild at http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~ajc30/ebuild/ . To build it you will also need libart_lgpl-moz from http://vorlon.cwru.edu/~ajc30/patches/ in your distfiles. You'll also need the [+mozsvg] use flag.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: