10%  [ 14 ]
Catastrophic, break up everything
3%
 3%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 129

mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Your experiences with "emerge -u world" Reply with quote

I'm wondering, if a world update is really save. Normally I only update single packages I need, so a world update will update nearly everything.

First (and last) time doing a system update, the glibc ebuild was broken, so I'm a little bit shaky about that ;-).
quadbox
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do it regularly, without too major issues...

However, I always do a '#emerge -p -u world' before hand, and check the output rather carefully:)

I have once had it break glibc. I can well understand you being shaky:).
kipper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do
#emerge -p -u world and then emerge individual packages. Haven't had any problems in quite some time.

cheers,
kippper
Jesse
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both minor and major problems.
The major ones had to do with new libraries and such while the minor problems have ranged from ebuilds not working, to world 'upgrading' to older packages, to the occasional ebuild that decides to pull in gnome and friends just because it feels like it.
I always do -p before hand...

Also, something that can be annoying is ebuilds that require manual downloads like sun-jdk. Currently this update appears in the _middle_ of my update world list. This means that all attemts at automating the emerge -pu world command is moot because the _entire_ process will stop when it gets to this update. Maybe if these such ebuild were always placed last, barring no other dependency issues, would help solve the problem somewhat.
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Avoid it like the plague Reply with quote

For the last three months I've taken the approach of running emerge with -pu just like everybody above, but then I manually install some of the packages that are listed, and leave the rest alone.

Trouble is, friday I let it install qt-3.0.5 and libogg-1.0 and libvorbis-1.0 (which I had avoided due to the BC incompatibility of the style plugin API). I figured I'd just re emerge kdelibs to get styles working again (I like light3). So QT emerged fine, and so did kdelibs. But no styles. So I tried re-emerging more of KDE 3.0.2, but then I ran across the various compile errors for ogg & vorbis 1.0 as well as some qt compile errors. Fortunately, the system still ran.

But, not well. KMail crashed when I hit "respond" to any email. Konq would freeze, and in general things were "nasty". So I fully unmerged qt & kde, all versions, masked qt-3.05 and libogg-1.0 and libvorbis-1.0; and then emerged kde fresh.

The compile was done when I woke up this morning; I ran a quick test, and all was well. A wasted weekend, however, when I could have been coding.

It occurs to me, however, that this isn't the fault of portage at all. It's the fault of a somewhat too-bleeding-edge package policy.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had an emerge -u world break the entirety of Python. I figured out what broke, fixed it, filed a bug, and prevented others from getting screwed as well. It was fixed within about 20 hours. :D

Of course, stuff can break anyway... sigh...
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got control-center 1.4 installed (on purpose). But when i update pretend world the system, it assumes that i want to upgrade all the gnome libraries to 2.0. So that's not cool :)

-S
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid it like the plague Reply with quote

TomorrowPlusX wrote:
It occurs to me, however, that this isn't the fault of portage at all. It's the fault of a somewhat too-bleeding-edge package policy.

Yes. I noticed that many ebuilds use the most recent versions available in the dependencies. I think it's because all of the gentoo developers are running a very up to date system, and they have no chance to test their work with older dependency versions.

But I found out that most of the ebuilds work without problems with older dependencies.

Sorry about my English, hope you understand what I try to say :).
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

niyogi wrote:
I've got control-center 1.4 installed (on purpose). But when i update pretend world the system, it assumes that i want to upgrade all the gnome libraries to 2.0. So that's not cool :)

You are right. There is missing a USE="-gnome2" possibility...
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid it like the plague Reply with quote

mvo wrote:

Yes. I noticed that many ebuilds use the most recent versions available in the dependencies. I think it's because all of the gentoo developers are running a very up to date system, and they have no chance to test their work with older dependency versions.

But I found out that most of the ebuilds work without problems with older dependencies.

Sorry about my English, hope you understand what I try to say :).

I assure you -- your english is much better than my german :cry:

Anyhow, I agree with you. I used to run slack with KDE updated fairly regularly from CVS. As such, I always had a source directory structure I could apply patches to. So for example, had I encountered the libvorbis-1.0 bug, I would have just used the patches on kde-core-devel:
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=102742542731608&w=2

But since I'm new to gentoo, I don't really have it down. I know I could unpack the source bz2 files from /usr/portage/distfiles and manually ./configure && make && make install after applying patches, but that seems so un-gentoo!

I'm happy to manually update individual packages by scanning the output of emerge -pu world and then installing what interests me one-by-one anyhow. I made it for a few months that way, I can continue that way. Seriously, who really needs to emerge -u world all that often?
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Avoid it like the plague Reply with quote

TomorrowPlusX wrote:
Seriously, who really needs to emerge -u world all that often?

Thank you all for your hints. I decided not to do a world update until a stable GCC 3.x based Gentoo was released (and to do a full backup before that :-) ).
Scott Frappier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: I disagree with 'too leading edge'. Reply with quote

TomorrowPlusX said:

Quote:

Here we go again...I've heard this excuse over and over again. 'Too bleeding edge'. Well, lets see here:
1.) Gentoo is a 'bleeding-edge' distribution, why would you want to use it if you were not a true bleeding-edge user?
2.) The majority of users never did experience the problems that you stated below.
3.) Why would you consider doing a major upgrade to a workstation if you are going to code over the weekend (no offense)? You stated that it wasted a weekend...but in reality you decided to do so because of your choice to upgrade to qt-3.0.5. Would you upgrade from glibc-2.2.4 to glibc-2.2.5 and not expect 'any' problems? Of course not...you'd backup your system, and then do the update.

I think we are all missing a couple things that should be approached whenever you are using or want to use a 'bleeding-edge' distribution.

1.) Don't complain if you can't emerge world w/o a single problem. The developers @ Gentoo work harder then hell to make sure a release (ebuild) is perfect. If a change needs to occur, submit it to bugs.gentoo.org and become more involved it you want to change it. If you just post here and never interact anywhere else, then your not really helping out Gentoo as a whole. Sure your helping the end-users which is great, but if you notice something is wrong submit a bug...and then point other users in that direction. If the package maintainer never knows about a problem, how is he supposed to address it?
Here is Gentoo's statement of what it considers itself:
Quote:

Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution for x86, PowerPC, Sparc and Sparc64 that's geared towards Linux power users.

The key here is the 'power users'. If you are a n00b w/ no experience in any other linux distributions, then this is not for you. If you have not taught yourself how to do backups before you do a major upgrade (ie, qt-3.0.4 -> qt-3.0.5 because KDE depends on qt so heavily) then Gentoo is not for you.
2.) Backup, backup, backup...if you can't have any downtime (or limited downtime) and don't want to 'waste your weekend'...just play it safe and backup!
3.) If this is your first Linux OS...please try Mandrake or Redhat first. I'm not saying this to be mean, but lets think about it. When you get your first bike, do you start riding it w/o training wheels? 80% of us do not, and we need something to help us out. Mandrake and Redhat are very easy OS's, and you do not need the technical know-how of building packages and finding bugs w/ them. If you are the other 20%, then the first thing you should do is learn how to use 'tar' heavily :).

All in all, I have NEVER had a problem w/ the update process. I have had compiling failures because of old files, but that is it. I update my system EVERY day. I am using the gcc-3.2-pre ebuild and my system is being recompiled for it. Gentoo is perfect for alot of us, because it strikes a balance between stability and bleeding-edge.

Gentoo could take it a step further. They could have CVS ebuilds for a lot of the packages. This would 'truly' be 'bleeding-edge'.

TomorrowPlusX, it's great to see that you came from Slackware :). That was my Linux OS of choice before Gentoo was introduced to me by a friend. Gentoo is definately a little different, but the documentation is all there for anything you'd ever want to do.

Maybe all of this is just common sense to me because of all of the time I had spent w/ the FreeBSD ports system. The Ports system is not even close to as refined as portage, and if you had a problem you'd sometimes have to delete the entire ports dir and reget it from cvs (cvs -g -L 2 ports-supfile).

It all boils down to these basic rules:
1.) Do _NOT_ expect every package to be perfect.
2.) The emerge --update world works 99% of the time w/o any problems.
3.) Always do a 'emerge --pretend --update world' to see what packages are going to be upgraded.
4.) If you need reliabilty, do _NOT_ use the super high-end optimizations. Almost every compile error/problem is caused by this.
5.) If you do not want bleeding edge...go get Mandrake or Redhat and be satisfied with it.
6.) Always backup your system before anything big is upgraded.
7.) Don't upgrade if you have a lot of work to do...otherwise your gonna do what TommorrowXPlus did, and spend the entire day/weekend fixing it.

Just my 2 cents and my rant of frustration :)

I guess I'd really like to see people stop complaining about something and do something about it. It'd be like me trying to complain about something political even though I'm not politically active.

Thanks
Scott Frappier
TomorrowPlusX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Hey, cool down there brother ;) Reply with quote

I only said "a little too bleeding edge"; I didn't criticize, I didn't say mean things. If I didn't like the gentoo way, I wouldn't use it. Coming from slack, I like having a nice, efficient and friendly source based system. But mainly, I stay for the init system. It's the best I've ever seen. You can't beat:
Code:

# rc-update add {service} boot

My argment, and it seems obvious to me now I should have been more clear, is that when it's publically acknowledged that certain packages don't play well together (look at kde-core-devel on lists.kde.org and notice the comments about qt-3.0.5 and libogg-1.0 and libvorbis-1.0) -- perhaps they should be masked, until patches can be made available.

Maybe it's worthwhile to define a certain sort of subset of bleeding edge, perhaps a "scraped edge" or "rather sore edge". E.g., the newest packages that are known to work properly. But not the newest of the newest of the newest of the new.

Now, regarding my lost time programming -- that's 100% my fault. I got a little too comfortable with the (up until this one incident) reliability and general package quality of gentoo, and I made a mistake. My fault -- I knew the packages didn't play well, I just figured I could work around it. You see, the codebase I'm working on is largely QT based, and I figured I might as well upgrade, just to be prepared for any complications a new QT might cause for my work. Well, as I described above, I lost a weekend. I'll make it up by night ;)

But:
a: I didn't lose any data.
b: I unmerged QT & KDE, masked QT-3.0.5 & lib(ogg/vorbis)-1.0 and was able to rebuild my system without hitch.

So no trouble -- I just think it's important that people be a little more conservative with their emerge -u world. Browsing the forums, you see quite a few horror stories of failed world updates.
niyogi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using USE="-gnome2" did not have any effect in it suppressing gnome 2.0 stuff from showing up in the pretend list
Scott Frappier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommorrowPlusX Said:

Quote:

My argment, and it seems obvious to me now I should have been more clear, is that when it's publically acknowledged that certain packages don't play well together (look at kde-core-devel on lists.kde.org and notice the comments about qt-3.0.5 and libogg-1.0 and libvorbis-1.0) -- perhaps they should be masked, until patches can be made available.

I agree with this point entirely. I think that they do quite a good job considering, but they can't catch everything. I do not know the specific's, but how long did it take before they had a fix? As soon as the fix was available was it merged into the ebuild? I guess this is a problem I never did experience.

Also, TommorrowPlusX, I did not mean for my post to be to harsh. As a programmer, I know how tempting it can be to upgrade to a newer version of something :). The thing that probably set me off was the 'avoid it like the plague' in your subject, when there is nothing really 'seriously' wrong with the system. I do not want people to overlook one of the neatest features in the emerge system, which is a billion times better then the 'make buildworld' and 'make installworld' of FreeBSD. Usually packages are fixed quickly and efficiently.

If I offended you, then I apologize...I was not trying to direct my criticism at you directly, but more widerspread at users that fail to take the time to figure something out, and just post for the 'definitive' answer.

Always remember this(this goes to everyone that reads this thread)...a lot of these maintainers do so w/ their freetime. This is what the linux community is based upon. If you notice a problem, help out by either finding the information and posting a bug report on bugs.gentoo.org...or find someway to communicate to the ebuild author stating that there is a problem. As with everything there will always be bugs :), our job as 'power-users' is to squash them for all the other users out there :).

Thanks
Scott Frappier
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

niyogi wrote:
using USE="-gnome2" did not have any effect in it suppressing gnome 2.0 stuff from showing up in the pretend list

That is what I tried to say: There is no USE variable to prevent updating to Gnome2.
ph317
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:31 pm    Post subject: Small issues... Reply with quote

emerge -u world works great for me. Almost every evening when I get home from work, I do "emerge rsync; emerge -pu world", check it over for anything glaringly bad, and then proceed with "emerge -u world". I'm essentially running the latest daily snapshot of Gentoo every day. I have had a few issues though:

1) "Takebacks" - I "emerge rsync" one day, and a new rev of gcc is available (say -r6), so I do the emerge update and rebuild gcc. Then the next day, I do my same "emerge rsync", and -r6 gets masked, and emerge -pu world wants to downgrade me back to -r5. IMHO, if you're gonna release an ebuild and unmask it, don't do it and take it right back - be more sure of the decision. This has happened to me many times, especially with gcc and mozilla - and once just recently with baselayout (1.8.0 takeback). Leaves you stuck with the choice of undoing your recent update (which in all likelyhood will just be re-unmasked in a few days), or having to selectively avoid "updating" it back to the old rev, or editing the package.mask and unmasking it until it gets really unmasked.

2) "Stealth bugfixes" - I have noticed many times that released ebuilds (even ones that aren't masked) sometimes get stealth updated without a version bump. This worries me. If I install foobar-1.4-r3, and a couple weeks later "emerge rsync" brings down an updated copy of "foobar-1.4-r3", "emerge -u foobar" will not update, as I'm already on the correct version. If there was any real fix to the ebuild, I don't get the benefit. IMHO, once an ebuild is released, consider it unchangeable. If you need to fix a bug in an existing ebuild, release a new revision so that everyone gets the benefits of the update.

*edit* a typo in item 2 made it make no sense at all *
earlclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I HATE emerge -u world. Don't get me wrong. Its not portage that's at fault, its the fact that as the number of ebuilds that you need to update goes up, the probability of one of those ebuilds not working approaches 100%. When one ebuild fails the process stops dead in its tracks. Granted, I can emerge rsync later on to download an updated possibly fixed version of the bad ebuild but users have no control over when and what ebuilds get fixed. Well... except for bugzilla, but thats sort of like trying to control the direction of a car by screeming at the driver from inside the trunk. I'd like to see a command like emerge --update --stable world sort of like how there is a gentoo-sources and a vanilla-sources for the kernel, but while I'm wishing I'd like a dodge viper and Tyra Banks ;-)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of operate under the theory "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
earlclick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? :wink:
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earlclick wrote:
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure? :wink:
Unless the prevention needs a cure itself :D
Incidentally, I don't over medicate myself either. Nature provided me with an immune system.

But lets get back on topic, or start a new thread ;)
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has been a "gotcha" for me is the way it does/doesn't update dependancies. For example, I've got openssh running on my box. Recently, the openssl library was updated to fix a security hole. It didn't show up if I did a emerge -pu world. All I had to do was emerge openssl to get the latest version of the library then emerge openssh again to use the new fixed library. It went fine, but I would have never known about the openssl update, emerge would not have told me (until openssh gets its own update in the future, which will let me know of updates to any of its dependancies). Not only that, but if there's something else on my system that I'm forgetting about that uses that library, it's out of date.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

been running gcc3 since the first day 1.3a was released, never had a problem with it, and that DOES break sometimes, still, sandbox rocks (didn't work with 1.3 in the beginning, does now, but it still didn't break anything :) ).
mvo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
Not only that, but if there's something else on my system that I'm forgetting about that uses that library, it's out of date.

Are you sure? If "something else" is not statically linked against the updated library, you should not have a problem.
TGL
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't like with the "world" update is that it updates things I don't care. Yes, I can also do it by hand, update only packages I do care, but I don't have time for that. So here is what I would like to be able to do:

Code:
emerge --update --security-only world

Only update packages where a security bug has been corrected. This requires the addition to ebuilds files of a predicate which would answer depending on the current installed version.

Code:
emerge --update --urgency=3 world

Don't do updates that can wait (1 or 2), but update everything with urgency >= 3. (Again, the urgency would depend on the current installed version, and on the ebuild maintener mind).

Ok, that's it, my 2 cents.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: