Kernel cannot find root device.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Kernel cannot find root device. Reply with quote

I recently bought a laptop from a yard sale, it's pretty old Celeron M, 1gb or RAM, and it uses IDE. After completing the x86 installation, the kernel goes into a panic and displays
Code:
Could not find the root block device i
Please specify another value or: Press Enter for the same, type "shell" for a shell, or q to skip..."
then prompts me
Code:
root block device() ::
. I do think I build IDE support into the 3.16.5 kernel. Using the guide here http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide#IDE_chipsets_and_DMA .

And this is my /etc/fstab
[code
]/dev/sda1 / ext4 noatime 0 1
/dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
[/code]

Does anyone know the solution to this?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owemeacent,

That Wiki page is outdated.
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
 ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support  --->
  <*> ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
  <*>   Enhanced IDE/MFM/RLL disk/cdrom/tape/floppy support
  [*]     PCI IDE chipset support
  Select your chipset from the choices listed below the above option
will no longer work. You must use the SATA Menu for your HDD chipset now.
You also need to use the SCSI name in your fstab and on the kernel line in your bootloader.

Post your lspci output - for your HDD controller and put your kernel .config onto a pastebin site.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the link for the pastebin site http://pastebin.com/nTym25CU
And this is the lspci
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML Express Processor to DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev d3)
00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1e.3 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 03)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
06:05.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
06:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 10)
06:09.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)

There isn't anything on IDE support in the SATA menu as far as I can see. And what do you mean by SCSI?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy's Rough Guide to Intel ICH chipset
run lspci -k from the install media to confirm that module and driver in use by the successful media is the ATA_PIIX driver and module, if so
recommend changing menuconfig to eliminate:
CONFIG_SATA_PMP=y #you don't have a sata port multiplier
CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y #you don't have an ahci sata controller
CONFIG_PATA_AMD=y #you don't have an amd chipset
CONFIG_PATA_OLDPIIX=y #may interfere with kernel using CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y
CONFIG_PATA_SCH=y #may interfere with kernel using CONFIG_ATA_PIIX=y

If trouble persists:
Quote:
Could not find the root block device i
is usually followed by more information including the location searched and sometimes a list of available partitions. It would be good to post that additional info if it exists..
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owemeacent wrote:
And what do you mean by SCSI?

It just means use the /dev/sda1 name of the partition, like you correctly did in your example. You're doing it right, and it'll work when you turn on the right kernel options and get the partition name right. SCSI is the name of the language used by SATA drives to talk to the kernel. (actually, it's more than that, but that's the important part for here). I'd guess either it's a missing driver, or else the root partition isn't /dev/sda1. I've had problems with partition names changing on me when using a ramdisk to boot in the past, so it might be worth it to boot directly to the root partition instead of using a ramdisk, if you're doing that now. At least until you get it booting right.
owemeacent
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote I've had problems with partition names changing on me when using a ramdisk to boot in the past, so it might be worth it to boot directly to the root partition instead of using a ramdisk,[/quote]

I usually don't use a initramfs on my computers because I think its an unnecessary extra step in booting. But due to this computers very rare hardware(it uses the b43 driver. Which is extremely difficult to find and install in so many distros). I thought an initramfs would help. But apparently, its the think that is messing me up. I'll try without it.
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owemeacent wrote:

I usually don't use a initramfs on my computers because I think its an unnecessary extra step in booting. But due to this computers very rare hardware(it uses the b43 driver. Which is extremely difficult to find and install in so many distros).

If it's an out of kernel driver, then you might be stuck with an initrd, but that actually gives you some other options as well. For example, if you have the right things turned on in the kernel and the right stuff in the ramdisk, you can pass the partition UUID as the root device to the kernel, or even a LABEL specification, when the initrd tries to mount the real root device and switch over to the hard disk. Sorry, I can't remember exactly what the setup has to be. You need to put the UUID or LABEL in fstab though, for sure. Been a long time...
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

owemeacent,

The b43 driver is in the kernel but like all things WiFi, its best made as a module.
It may also need firmware and things with firmware are best made as modules.

Your hardware may be rare today but it wasn't a few years ago so it will be still be supported.

SCSI is short for Small Computer System Interface. A long time ago Compaq took the SCSI standard, simplified it and called it IDE, for Integrated Drive Electronics. later dubbed PATA for Parallel AT Attachment. The AT in that stands for Advanced Technology, which is a reference to the 16 bit slots that first appeared in 286 PC. Anyway, so much for the history.
When the SATA interface appeared, it implemented some of the SCSI commands that were omitted from the IDE/PATA specification, so the drivers used the SCSI kerel software in the kernel.

Due to IDE/PATA being cut down SCSI, the kernel devs decided to rewrite the low level IDE/PATA drivers to use the high level SCSI code. This became usable around kernel 2.26. The old IDE/PATA drivers are no longer maintained, nor are they supported by udev. They give you the /dev/hd* device names.

The SCSI software stack, called a stack because it is made up of layers, like a cake, has the hardware drivers at the bottom. These drivers controll the hardware directly and presont a common interface to the next layer up. This makes adding new hardware easy for the developers, as they only have to add a new bottom layer.
The kernel contains a whole IDE/PATA and SCSI stack but the IDE/PATA part has been abandoned. New drivers are only added and old ones maintaned in the SCSI stack.

So much for the history lesson, Your
Code:
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 03)
is well supported and you will not need an initrd provided you build everything you need into the kernel to be able to boot.

DONAHUE has already pointed you to some detailed instructions.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Slippery Jim
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see now. I thought b4e was some weird storage driver or something. Yeah, what Neddy said, then (and much more clearly than I ever could) :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: