rEFInd OS state display
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cyberjun
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: rEFInd OS state display Reply with quote

Hi,
I use refind on a lenovo laptop to dual boot windows 8.1 and Gentoo (I do not use grub and instead use the kernel EFI stub). I occasionally hibernate Gentoo to boot into windows (after safely unmounting windows partitions). I do not hibernate windows on a regular basis and take every care not to hibernate both the systems at the same time so as to avoid any corruption on shared partitions. I understand there are several solutions available to safely unmount windows partitions before hibernating Gentoo.

However, what i am looking for here is a kind of marker for refind to detect the current state of each OS and display the same when I boot the system. So, lets say I hibernate Gentoo and boot the system, the refind boot manager should show a small text against the currently hibernated kernel image. Is it possible? Can an EFI boot manager somehow detect the current state (hibernated/turned off) of an OS and display it on its boot screen?

Thanks

--cyberjun
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right out of the box, I doubt that's possible. The good news is, though, that the dev of refind is usually very nice to talk to and open for suggestions.

So I'd just ask him if he'd be willing to add an option which reads a file from someplace and based on that changes icon/text.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: