Grub2 install failed [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Grub2 install failed [SOLVED] Reply with quote

I did "emerge sys-boot/grub" and got an error:
Quote:
>>> Source configured.
>>> Compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00 ...
* guessed: running autotools-utils_src_compile
>>> Working in BUILD_DIR: "/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00-guessed"
make J2
make: *** No rule to make target `J2'. Stop.
* ERROR: sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo failed (compile phase):
* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00-guessed'
* S: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00'

>>> Failed to emerge sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2, Log file:

>>> '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2:

* emake failed
* If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo'`,
* the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo'`.
* The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/temp/build.log'.
* The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/temp/environment'.
* Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00-guessed'

I had just inserted MAKEOPTS="J2" into the make.conf file. So I commented it out and tried again and got the error:
Quote:
PATH=.:$PATH pkgdatadir=. /usr/bin/help2man --section=1 -i /var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00/docs/man/grub-mkimage.h2m -o grub-mkimage.1 grub-mkimage
Can't locate Locale/gettext.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Locale::gettext module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.18.2/i686-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib/perl5/5.18.2/i686-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.18.2 .) at /usr/bin/help2man line 28.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/bin/help2man line 28.
make[2]: *** [grub-mkimage.1] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00-guessed'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2/work/grub-2.00-guessed'
make: *** [all] Error 2
* emake failed

* emake failed

Can anyone help?
CPU = Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz version: 15.4.9
Memory = 2GB

Last edited by catchpole on Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Grub2 install failed Reply with quote

catchpole wrote:
I had just inserted MAKEOPTS="J2" into the make.conf file. So I commented it out and tried again and got the error

Now, see, you have a big problem there with that. It shows that you're not reading the documentation properly and are sticking stuff into /etc/portage/make.conf without understanding what they do. That's a terrible way to learn Gentoo, it will leave a lot of holes and lead to a lot of unnecessary problems and frustration later, and basically prevent you from experiencing true power in setting up a meta-distribution such as Gentoo.

I suggest you to start from the beginning and read up on each command or config option the handbook tells you to use. man make.conf and man make are two example commands to begin solving the problem above.

Quote:
Can't locate Locale/gettext.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Locale::gettext module)

I would start with this hint from your second error. Did you set up the locale properly? Did you re-initialize your environment after setting up the locale?
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GrueXZY,

I accept my telling off with good grace.

However I got the advice from a very experienced Guru within this site and did some reading before acting upon it.
It was an attempt to speed up the compiling. Everything was going well until the last command of section 9. (emerge ppp)
This took over eight hours to complete. So as my processor is a single core I set --jobs to 2.

I'm still very inexperienced and have to suffer the consequences of my ignorance.

Almost all of the information on the internet assumes prior knowledge and its the little things that catch me (and others) out. (Syntax is often a problem)
As an engineer I am conscious of taking my (engineering) knowledge for granted and expect non engineers to understand.
I try to assess peoples knowledge before my explanations so as not to pitch it over their heads.
This is very difficult to do for the advisers on a forum like this and I try to avoid constantly going back with trivial questions and wasting their time.

The reason for the Gentoo installation is to learn more about the inner workings and the command line.
I'll do more reading about the locale, re-initialization and how to find and install the gettext module.

Thanks for your time. I'll get there in the end!
Memory = 2GB
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my reply wasn't meant to tell you off, it was meant to suggest that you should read up on and understand what each command or option really does before blindly using it because otherwise it will only lead to a lot of frustration. The fact that you used an invalid option "J2" instead of valid "-j2" made me assume you did not familiarize yourself with what -j2 does. It's a very friendly advice given that Gentoo is not a typical Linux distro that sets up everything for the user and holds his/her hand afterwards. Gentoo is a highly specific meta-distribution which power comes from extensive configurability which requires a lot of reading and understanding the processes in detail. :wink:

As for the other problem, that was just a hint and the question that starts troubleshooting it is how did you set up the locale, which was step 6 of the handbook (which I mention because in the ppp thread you said you followed the handbook until step 9). It could really be anything from misconfigured locale, unsourced profile after env change, improperly updated perl (you did mention a lot going on for installation of ppp) or accidental removal of gettext which is in base installation afaik.

Also it would help if you considered what the error message suggested to do if you needed support, ie. posting the output of "emerge --info ...".
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GrueXYZ,

I figured out the mistake with the j2 and changed it to -j2 and also did "emege gettext.
I revisited the locale and remember running through it before and it seemed OK at the time when I looked closely at each stage.

When I ran the suggested command for posting: (Copied and pasted)
`emerge --info '=sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2::gentoo'`,
The terminal hung and I had to re-boot.

Instead I did "emerge info" and got:
Quote:
/ # emerge --info
Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.2.0-70-generic i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.2.0-70-generic-i686-Intel-R-_Celeron-R-_CPU_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 2060732 total, 1123984 free
KiB Swap: 2061308 total, 2061308 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:30:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.23.2 p1.0) 2.23.2
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p45
dev-lang/perl: 5.18.2-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.7.7, 3.3.5-r1
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.12.2-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2
sys-apps/openrc: 0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.69
sys-devel/automake: 1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.23.2
sys-devel/gcc: 4.7.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.2-r1
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.13 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.19-r1
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-J2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="32" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, SYNC, USE_PYTHON

I re-ran "emerge sys-boot/grub and got the latest error output:
Quote:
This program built for i686-pc-linux-gnu
Report bugs to <bug-make@gnu.org>
* emake failed

* emake failed

I know I should do all the checking first before a re-run but frustration took over. (I should know better)

I'll go back and check through the loacale.

The ppp saga is at https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1003790-highlight-.html

Meanwhile I'll read some more on "unsourced profile" and "env change"
Memory = 2GB
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option is not "-J2" (with an uppercase J) but "-j2" (with a lowercase j).

- John
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John R. Graham,

Thanks for that I've just checked and changed that.
I must have left the caps lock in when I typed MAKEOPTS. There's no indicator light for it on my keyboard.
Memory = 2GB
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, how exactly did you install Gentoo? How did you start (LiveDVD?), which stage-3 tarball did you use? You seem to have some rather old-ish software, especially the kernel.

Now, your portage tree reports to be as old as 11 Oct 2014, which is not that much of a problem, just I can't tell if the older versions of, eg, bash and perl etc are at least from that date. No wonder that in that ppp thread emerge had a lot to do. Perhaps the mods can be persuaded to merge that thread with this one as it seems the core of the problem is the same.

Since you said you just installed Gentoo, I don't know which advice is better - to start from scratch and latest stage-3 and portage tree, or to throw you in the fire of full problem solving on Gentoo with trying to update what appears to be a rather old installation, but I'm inclined to suggest the latter. The best way to learn something is by doing it.

There are some nice tips and tricks on updating Gentoo here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-807345.html

Also, instead of using MAKEOPTS="-j2" I'd suggest giving -j2 to emerge (although I combine both for multicore CPUs), just keep in mind you can't combine -j flag with others as above, you need it as a standalone switch for example emerge -vaNDu -j2 world. The former attempts threaded compilation on a single package while the latter attempts multiple packages in parallel and has nicer summarized output. On my not so young dualcore AMD, with MAKEOPTS="-j2" and -j2 emerge option I see my CPU load between 2 and 3, which seems like a fine balance between IO wait and CPU saturation, and I can use the computer just fine to do work while it compiles in the background.

Emerge is smart and will serialize building in order to satisfy build dependencies. Another advice is to use buildpkg FEATURE (see man make.conf for that) so you can have a backup of all the packages and their versions in case you need to rollback something and don't want or can't compile).

Quote:
Meanwhile I'll read some more on "unsourced profile" and "env change"

https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=5
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GrueXYZ,

I think I know what's happened.
There were problems from the very start when I booted up from the live installation disc.
The computer I am using for Gentoo already has Lubuntu and Mint on it and I created another partition "sda4" for the install.
My first call for help was not being able to connect to the internet.
I managed to get online using some links.
Posted at:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1000836-highlight-.html
This will give some background as to how I arrived at my present position.

I left the installation disc out and carried on the installation using advice from my first post and thinking that the "links" would continue to give access to the internet.
However I think that some of the things I was loading were not coming from the Gentoo site but from the Mint distro on sda3.
If this is true then I may be better starting again and fixing the first problem from my first post.

That's my history in three posts.

The question now is:
Should I start again or suffer the pain of trying to sort out a bad start?

If I start again from the beginning I guess I'll have to wipe all data from sda4.
Memory = 2GB
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

I managed to get the output log from the failed "emerge -j2 sys-boot/grub"

Can anyone tell my where I went wrong?

Quote:
Portage 2.2.8-r2 (default/linux/x86/13.0/desktop, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.2.0-70-generic i686)
System Settings
System uname: Linux-3.2.0-70-generic-i686-Intel-R-_Celeron-R-_CPU_2.80GHz-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem: 2060732 total, 1038204 free
KiB Swap: 2061308 total, 2061308 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 09:30:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.23.2 p1.0) 2.23.2
app-shells/bash: 4.2_p45
dev-lang/perl: 5.18.2-r1
dev-lang/python: 2.7.7, 3.3.5-r1
dev-util/cmake: 2.8.12.2-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig: 0.28-r1
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.2
sys-apps/openrc: 0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox: 2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf: 2.69
sys-devel/automake: 1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils: 2.23.2
sys-devel/gcc: 4.7.3-r1
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool: 2.4.2-r1
sys-devel/make: 3.82-r4
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.13 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc: 2.19-r1
Repositories: gentoo
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org"
LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=""
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa berkdb bindist bluetooth branding bzip2 cairo cdda cdr cli consolekit cracklib crypt cups cxx dbus dri dts dvd dvdr emboss encode exif fam firefox flac fortran gdbm gif glamor gpm gtk iconv ipv6 jpeg lcms ldap libnotify mad mng modules mp3 mp4 mpeg ncurses nls nptl ogg opengl openmp pam pango pcre pdf png policykit ppds qt3support qt4 readline sdl session spell ssl startup-notification svg tcpd tiff truetype udev udisks unicode upower usb vorbis wxwidgets x264 x86 xcb xml xv xvid zlib" ABI_X86="32" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset: CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, SYNC, USE_PYTHON

Memory = 2GB
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, by not providing the log. What you've provided is the output of
Code:
emerge --info
not the output of
Code:
emerge -j2 sys-boot/grub
Give us the correct log and we'll likely be able to help. :wink:

- John
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
Can't locate Locale/gettext.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Locale::gettext module)

You have cruft from a perl upgrade that needs to be sorted out. perl-cleaner --reallyall should handle this,
but the recent upgrade was quite difficult, and you might need to run:
Code:
emerge -C virtual/perl-Test-Simple
first.
equally, you might find it useful to run:
Code:
emerge -1 $(qlist -IC virtual/perl) dev-perl/extutils-pkgconfig
before perl-cleaner.

qlist is from portage-utils.
catchpole
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi steveL, John R. Graham,

I followed steveL's fix first in case any broken items were affecting the Grub install.
Then I ran:
Code:
emerge -j2 sys-boot/grub

and it worked fine and completed the Grub install.
I'll just include the output in case I've missed something.
Quote:
richard-MS-7211 / # emerge -j2 sys-boot/grub
* Last emerge --sync was 33d 21h 13m 6s ago.
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Running pre-merge checks for sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2
>>> Installing (1 of 1) sys-boot/grub-2.00_p5107-r2
>>> Recording sys-boot/grub in "world" favorites file...
>>> Jobs: 1 of 1 complete Load avg: 1.21, 1.05, 0.98

* To avoid automounting and auto(un)installing with /boot,
* just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable.
* To avoid automounting and auto(un)installing with /boot,
* just export the DONT_MOUNT_BOOT variable.
* For information on how to configure GRUB2 please refer to the guide:
* http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
* Install sys-boot/os-prober to enable detection of other operating systems using grub2-mkconfig.
* Install dev-libs/libisoburn to enable creation of rescue media using grub2-mkrescue.
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* Regenerating GNU info directory index...
* Processed 83 info files.

Thanks guys, I'm now heading for my next unforeseen problem!
Memory = 2GB
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: