View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
equiraptor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: gnome-games compile error Reply with quote

My attempts at compiling gnome-games 2.0.1.1 fail. The emerge is not given write permissions on /usr/share/applications/gnect.desktop.

Sorry for the short message, but I have to leave for work. Please, help.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen most permissions issues during an ebuild are a direct result of a bug in the ebuild, but can usually be worked-around by temorarily disabling the sandbox. You can give that a go and see how it does. You should post more information about what the error indicates though, this is just my first guess.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
projekt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having the same problem. Though, I did install gnome-base/gnome lastnight on my dual p3-1ghz at home without any problems. I am having this currently problem on my work puter, here is the output snipped towards the end:

/bin/sh ../../mkinstalldirs /usr/share/applications
/bin/install -c -m 644 gnect.desktop /usr/share/applications/gnect.desktop
ACCESS DENIED open_wr: /usr/share/applications/gnect.desktop
/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/share/applications/gnect.desktop': Permission denied
make[3]: *** [install-GamesDATA] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/work/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/gnect/data'
make[2]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/work/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/gnect/data'
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/work/gnome-games-2.0.1.1/gnect'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_install, Line 7, Exitcode 2
!!! install failure

--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-gnome-games-2.0.1.1-3877.log"

open_wr: /usr/share/applications/gnect.desktop
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!!! emerge aborting on /usr/portage/gnome-extra/gnome-games/gnome-games-2.0.1.1.ebuild .
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an ebuild problem; please file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org stating the full ebuild name (including version) and the observed sandbox violation.

...hmm... that sounded really cold. ;)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the workaround it to take "sandbox" out of the FEATURES variable in /etc/make.conf for this one package. Be sure to put it back in, though.
kevinoneill
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie question:

Quote:
Oh yeah, the workaround it to take "sandbox" out of the FEATURES variable in /etc/make.conf for this one package. Be sure to put it back in, though.

how do I do that?

-k.
JohnY
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: sandbox violation in gnome-games Reply with quote

Actually in my make.conf sandbox is already commented out, and I still get the sandbox violation. I needed to take it out of make.globals and gnome-games is compiling now.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sandbox is enabled by default. Just like USE variables, the correct way to disable them are by ADDING the line "-[variable]" -- The LACK of the item does not disable it. So one way of handling the situation of disabling the sandbox is to go into the make.conf and UNcomment the line at the bottom about features, remove all items except sandbox (since they are all fine the way they currently are) and then add the negation to the sandbox item (-sandbox). Another way you can accomplish the temporary fix is to simply call emerge once with the sandbox disabled for compiling this defective ebuild (there are no files that need to be changed).

Simply run:

Code:
export SANDBOX_DISABLED=1
emerge gnome-games

But you should NEVER edit the make.globals, because it is over-written often and this is not how Gentoo was intended to work (things just click when you use them as they are designed)

Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: