is jfs stable now?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: is jfs stable now? Reply with quote

I'm using reiserfs right now, and fairly happy with it, but it does use quite a lot of cpu usage.

and I got a 400mhz laptop with an extreamly slow hd (and an extreamly slow LAPTOP hd IS slow), and for some reason I put reiserfs on that too (I like the filesystem, and when I setup something quick I generally use that without thinking too much about it), would love to have good filesystem performance AND low cpu usage on that piece of crap ;)

a bit scared to use it though, I was thinking about testing it a while ago and everyone was "nooooo, not if you like your data" ;), then again, reiserfs wasn't that well liked back then either :p

if it's not stable, I'm thinking xfs, is that accepted in the 2.6 tree btw? I hate relying on third party patches ;)
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFS is considered fairly stable, but it's not as fast as people think - it's not very good on a desktop type setup, XFS isn't either, not even the version that's included in 2.6.

I would wait for Reiser4 to hit the kernel and switch when it has gotten some public mass testing. Reiser3 is probably the fastest filesystem for a desktop machine.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it's fast, but it uses a crapload of cpu resources, and that's a bit of a minus on my desktop box, and a huge minus on a 400mhz laptop celeron.
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use the laptop patch which was included in 2.4.23-preX recently and switch to ext3 which has a relatively low CPU overhead. I'm sure Jens ported the laptop patch to 2.6 as well.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really a big fan of ext3, I used it a while ago, power cut, and I lost every file I had open (including a library, which I have no idea why disapeared, but it did)

what's the default ext3 operation when you make it normally?

looking at http://fsbench.netnation.com/old_hardware/bonnie.html atm, and journaling is quite slow, are the other modes journaling and then some? Or not journaling? (I need a journaling fs on the crappy laptop, battery time is so short and the power cable goes out now and then ;) ).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: