Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge wants config files updated...could use a reference!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: emerge wants config files updated...could use a reference! Reply with quote

Well, emerge system completed on a stage 2 install. At the end, I got a message telling me that "19 config files" in /etc needed updating. The files in question are easy to locate as they are created with easily locatable filenames (I'm not in front of that system right now, but they something like cfg0000<realfilename> or some such thing.

In any case, some are obvious like hostname, but others are less so in terms of what I should do with them.

What is the preferred method of updating these config files? Is there a reference - I could not find one in the documentation.

Thanks.
nl
DrACoNuS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a utility called etc-update on your system, the best method is to enter the number of the config file you want updated and then hit 3 to do an interactive merge where you compare lines and choose which to keep

Lots of files are obviously overwritable without an interactive merge such as files under /etc/init.d/ and make.globals you will soon know off by heart which files you have modified since you last emerged a package and it will be easier to accomplish updating them.

Takes some getting used to but its actually quite proficient.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: