View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a similar setup (no portage stuff) on Debian systems and after years they no fragmentation due to keeping logs, caches, temp, etc to their own space. How is partitioning bad? I've never understood that argument. Heck, back int he days of DOS, you would purposely partition a bunch so you could use more of the drive due to using smaller cluster (block) sizes. Note that the partitions listed above have either a 1k or 2k block size, so they're more efficient at storage.

I have hit an issue, but I believe it is an ebuild being faulty. I tried to install X and it stops on media-libs/libjpeg-turbo, and throws an error during configuration.
Code:

configure: error: configuration problem: maybe object file format mismatch.

Every time. I cannot get past this. All partitions are under 5% usage at this point, both in terms of space and inodes, so I am not out of space. Everythign else built and installed fine. It ran for twelve hours, hit this package, and died. My log has nothing useful. What should I do?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of space wasted by a large block size (which is only 4KB on ext2/3/4) is nowhere near the inconvenience given by the example I had given earlier, and you could use something like reiserfs or something that has tail packing if absolutely necessary.

to help debug, the typical response: what is your emerge --info data which shows your CFLAGS, USE flags and GCC versions? As well as more lines of text just about the failure, including possibly the configure.log data.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would the configure.log be located? I can provide everything when I return home tonight.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the read head is forced to make multiple trips across the entire disk for trivial things

A very good point, Ant. I maintain a separate /boot to protect it from accidental damage by a rogue program (or mis-typing), but /boot is only needed at boot time or when building the kernel. On some machines, I do and others I don't. I'm interested in separate swap. I fear that the swap file might be spread across the disk leading to inefficiency, OTOH, localizing in a partitition probably results in read head motion anyway. One single partition is attractive. Separate /home seems to be useful in a multi-user multi-computer environment such as when I worked at Motorola and each developer had a PC but our home directory and our tools were on a separate server.

Do you know of any studies regarding the speed advantages of a swap partition vs a swap file?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A swap partition is faster indeed, no filesystem translation needed but for the most part, hitting swap is slow enough that any additional translation doesn't make a whole heck of a lot more difference - you won't notice.

If you thrash swap (versus letting it idle most of the time) to an SSD however, it *may* start making a difference, but in this case I'm not sure you want to kill your SSD this way...
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another data point, I just checked my server - a PIII with a 30G hard drive. As said, it's a server, so it's a pretty stripped installation. On the other hand, it's also my http-replicator server, so while /usr/portage/distfiles is routinely stripped to nothing, /var/cache/http-replicator is serving my entire home cluster.
Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/sda

Disk /dev/sda: 28 GiB, 30000000000 bytes, 58593750 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x0001d1b0

Device    Boot     Start       End   Blocks  Id System
/dev/sda1           2048    526335   262144  83 Linux
/dev/sda2         526336  58593749 29033707   5 Extended
/dev/sda5         528384   2625535  1048576  82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda6        2627584  58593749 27983083  83 Linux

Root is getting pretty (86%) full, but /var/cache/http-replicator is quite prone to accumulating cruft. I need to clean it out.

I'm also serving /home over nfsv4, but that's on a separate RAID-1 pair. My IMAP maildirs are also on the RAID-1 pair.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured out the issue. Since I copied the configuration from my system and changed the kernel options and such I thought I was good. Incorrect! I left CHOST set to x86_64-*. I changed it to i686-*, but am going to reinstall to be safe. I may change some things in regards to partitioning also.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: