Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
krunk wrote:
That's too bad, might try tweaking a bit. I'm using one pc2700 and one pc2400 stick or corsair both running at pc2700 speeds. My top stable OC is 3200+ speeds. I can't get the ram to 200mhz though (of course).

Yes, I've raised my multiplier and been stable at 12*166, but then I got some instability issues in windows (yes, it was before I installed gentoo). If I raise the FSB just a few MHz, I get quite a lot of trouble with the memory, at quite loose timings (I think 2.5-3-3-7). I guess there's a reason why it's tested ok for PC2700 ;-)

*shrug* pick of the memory litter I guess. So goes the game of OC'ing. :D

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krunk wrote:

Yup. I've been thinking of getting some new memory, but then, it's 1GB, which is quite a lot of money... so it will have to wait.

EDIT: It is Samsung though... but just plain PC2700 CL2.5, nothing fancy
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is never mentioned enough since this is a gentoo message board but Athlon's are very fast at compiling code. I can't seem to find it right now but I was reading a new article showing how much faster athlon xp/64's were then P4's with gcc, large difference. Here's one comparing the two with visual C++ and the athlons do even better with gcc:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1884&p=14

Or here's an older one actually using gcc, the Athlon thunderbird 1.2Ghz is destroying a P4 1.5Ghz.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20001120/p4-23.html
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
krunk wrote:

Yup. I've been thinking of getting some new memory, but then, it's 1GB, which is quite a lot of money... so it will have to wait.

EDIT: It is Samsung though... but just plain PC2700 CL2.5, nothing fancy

Ahhhhh, nothing but Corsair here. Though I'm keeping my eye on OCZ for my next purchase. When I build systems for the average user, I usually go the Crucial way. Solid and good price, but Corsair is hard to beat on the OC side.

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of something with Winbond BH-5 or CH-5, like Buffalo or maybe OCZ. That is said to work best with my DFI LP NFII ULtra B MoBo (Heck, I can hardly read that myself ;-))
If I can get hold of it here, that is. Or maybe I'll spend those money on other things instead....
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

floffe wrote:
I was thinking of something with Winbond BH-5 or CH-5, like Buffalo or maybe OCZ. That is said to work best with my DFI LP NFII ULtra B MoBo (Heck, I can hardly read that myself ;-))
If I can get hold of it here, that is. Or maybe I'll spend those money on other things instead....

Where's "here"? I'm sure you could get OCZ anywhere: www.newegg.com

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
Gelfling
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
I just found this article on installing Mandrake 9.2 64bit version on a AMD 64 system, it's so good I might spring for a 3200+ and a Asus K8V Deluxe...
The Athlon 64 3000+ is about half the price of the Athlon 64 3200+ and as the performance rating would indicate it's barely any slower.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1937&p=5

It's my money and I'll spend it any way I want! I don't believe in being cheap...
Phanbox64: MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2 1024MB SDRAM, 2 WD 74GB Raptors & 120GB SATA HD, Audigy2 ZS, Plextor PX-708A DVD-/+RW, Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say if you got the cash to burn, go for the best....Dually Opteron system with 2 gigs of DDR500 RAM. My first goal when I start pulling a real paycheck is to put together the "dream system" for around 10 g's. yaaaaaaahhhhoooooooo!!!!

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
floffe
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krunk wrote:
Where's "here"?

Here is Sweden. I would prefer not to order from the US...
Anyway, I've seen OCZ somewhere around here, I know that... Just don't remember where
Gelfling
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks Krunk, I just bought a ATI Radeon 9800XT and that will hold me over until the nforce3 250 pro motherboards come out. I'm interested in seeing some reviews that compare their performance to the VIA KT800 chipset.
Phanbox64: MSI K8N Neo2, AMD Athlon64 3500+, ATI Radeon 9800XT, Corsair TwinX1024-3200C2 1024MB SDRAM, 2 WD 74GB Raptors & 120GB SATA HD, Audigy2 ZS, Plextor PX-708A DVD-/+RW, Pioneer DVD-106S DVD-ROM, CoolerMaster WaveMaster Case
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's my money and I'll spend it any way I want! I don't believe in being cheap...
As was said you could go with a dual cpu system, or you could just get the Athlon 64 3000 and donate the extra money to a charity as it would probably help quite a bit while you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the 3000 and 3200 :-) The 3400's are out now, you could also go for one of those, haven't actually seen any in stores yet though.
krunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
Quote:
As was said you could go with a dual cpu system, or you could just get the Athlon 64 3000 and donate the extra money to a charity as it would probably help quite a bit while you probably wouldn't even notice the difference between the 3000 and 3200 :-) The 3400's are out now, you could also go for one of those, haven't actually seen any in stores yet though.

Ok, at the mention of charity I couldn't resist. I work with a charity that puts pc's in the hands of kids that can't afford them. If you got money to burn, you could damn near build an extra economy pc with the differnce in cost between a 3000 and a 3400...... :wink:

Dual G5
iPod 3rd generation
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: