gentoo-sources + user mode linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcataluna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: gentoo-sources + user mode linux Reply with quote

Hello all,

im very happy with gentoo-sources. for my gentoo box that acts as a Firewall , LVM, linux desktop, and numerous services for my home lan.

The problem its that i want to play with UML, basically for having virtual machines for development uses. I dont want to drop gentoo-sources in favor of usermode-sources. What i want its to apply UML patches to gentoo-sources.

its there a gentoo-way to do this? I think patching gentoo-sources with oficial uml patches its dangerous for gentoo healthy.

Thanks all for reading.
r_yuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: gentoo-sources + user mode linux Reply with quote

Since you didn't mention skas, I'll assume it's not a problem. Remember that in using UML, you essentially have two kernels: the host kernel and the UML kernel. You use gentoo-sources for the host and usermode-sources for your virtual machines.

Does that help?

(BTW: skas is a patch you apply to the host kernel for improved UML performance, unfortunately, it doesn't patch against gentoo-sources.)

Edit: Re-phrased last sentence of 1st paragraph.

Last edited by r_yuan on Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
jcataluna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_yuan, first thanks for your fast reply ;)

The purpose of this project is to have 3 virtual machines, each one for: production, Quality Assurance, and development environments. I want to try some things of my "real work" at a national bank.

i think i dont understand very well UML;) Reading your post it seems that usermode-sources arent for "host kernel".

please tell me if im wrong on my next steps.

1) emerge usermode-sources.
2) build a kernel, inside /usr/src/uml/linux (basically iptables + grsecurity)
3) follow the doc to make things go.

dont have to recompile "host kernel" to add somethig about UML?
r_yuan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcataluna wrote:
Reading your post it seems that usermode-sources arent for "host kernel".

That's right.

jcataluna wrote:
please tell me if im wrong on my next steps.

1) I prefer to patch my own kernel from the vanilla-sources. The reason being that the uml-patch used in the usermode-sources may be a bit outdated.

2) Your host will act as a gateway, so put your firewall on the host to protect your virtual machines. (Unless you have more specific needs.) You can forget grsecurity; it is not available in the vanilla-sources.

3) Pretty much.

You may need to recompile your kernel if you're missing options in your kernel. If your are networking your VMs, you should have the TUN/TAP option in your kernel (compiled or as a module).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: