Kodi ebuild confusion.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soehest
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Kodi ebuild confusion. Reply with quote

I have been following the bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=526992 for a while and have some questions. It should be noted that i am not trying to start a debate but i am simply curious to the choices of gentoo when comparing to other distros. I was thinking of simply participating on bugzilla but do not think that this topic fits on the bug list. My assumptions may also be very wrong but this is what i am reading: Kodi (formerly known as xbmc) can not be included (in a working version) into the official portage tree because of the developers no longer supports external ffmpeg. Apparently when compiling kodi, the build system will fetch a modified build of ffmpeg made for kodi. Looking at:
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/kodi/

ffmpeg is not a dependency on arch linux which i interpret as they are using the "included" version of ffmpeg. The question(s) would be. Why do gentoo not just choose to use the included ffmpeg from kodi, and what's up with libav in xbmc. As far as i am aware xbmc does not support libav? I do use my gentoo machine for many things, but one of them is as a media center. And while waiting for kodi i may get more enlightened on gentoo itself ;-)

Regards
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bundled ffmpeg = security vulnerabilities in a volatile library not getting fixed in a timely manner.

Telling code that expects to find the full ffmpeg API to use libav, a broken subset of it, simply won't work. That's like asking why Steam games won't run on your XFree86.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: