scanner/print server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: scanner/print server Reply with quote

Hello, i want to setup a print scanner server for my Tally T9212 printer and snapscan 1236 S scanner.

I know a print server does not need to much but not sure about a networkeded scanner! I have been trying to get K6 2 366 working but am getting error with hard drives so was thinking of a P166 i have lying about.

Would the P166 be powerful enough for scanner server?

I would compile on my desktop and then just swap hard drive over to new case.

cheers
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
jfroebe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply put... yes
tomchuk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 486 would be more than enough for this job.

A print server is trivial to set up, but the scanner may be a little more difficult. Basically you'd need to create some kind of networked front-end for sane. Either a sane-frontend daemon running on the server that a UI could communicate with on the clients. This is probably not going to be an easy task.

The easiest thing to do would be to write a php (or perl, python, etc) script that could be accessed through a browser. With a little ImageMagick ... um ... magic you could have a browser-based interface that would show you a preview scan, allow you to adjust settings via a form (resolution, area, color, etc) and do a force downoad as it scans. I've been trying to get around to writing something like this for a while, but every time I sit down to do it I realize that you're going to have to walk over to the scanner to put something in it; why not just sit down at that computer and scan it there?

Anyways, I've got a couple of jobs to finish, but I'll see if I can tackle this in the next couple of weeks.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomchuk wrote:
A 486 would be more than enough for this job.

A print server is trivial to set up, but the scanner may be a little more difficult. Basically you'd need to create some kind of networked front-end for sane. Either a sane-frontend daemon running on the server that a UI could communicate with on the clients. This is probably not going to be an easy task.

The easiest thing to do would be to write a php (or perl, python, etc) script that could be accessed through a browser. With a little ImageMagick ... um ... magic you could have a browser-based interface that would show you a preview scan, allow you to adjust settings via a form (resolution, area, color, etc) and do a force downoad as it scans. I've been trying to get around to writing something like this for a while, but every time I sit down to do it I realize that you're going to have to walk over to the scanner to put something in it; why not just sit down at that computer and scan it there?

Anyways, I've got a couple of jobs to finish, but I'll see if I can tackle this in the next couple of weeks.

Think you are getting carried away :) you can just use xsane to access the networked scanner. I have done this previously on a RH system using xsane on win2k to access the scanner.

Just wanted to know if my p166 would be powerful enough to handle scanner and not hinder the scanning speed, i know it will be fine for print server.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssh -X would even eliminate the need for a networked setup for the scanner.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgo wrote:
ssh -X would even eliminate the need for a networked setup for the scanner.

Yes but this would then write the scanned image to the box connect to scanner, this then presents slow read speed of scanned image as system is old and has slow hard drive, and when dealing with very large scanned images this is an issue.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: