Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NVIDA now has full hardware mixing support under Linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go check the nVidia site it was released today.

It looks like OSS though

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we're not done yet! We still need to campaign-email them to get it to support ALSA (as OSS is deprecated in the now-commonly-used 2.6 kernel branch). They did mention it has 2.6 kernel support...I'm wondering if this means ALSA or not ...
Boris27
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should try it then.
sobers_2002
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried out........doesn't work with alsa :( :(
letten 22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: amswer please Reply with quote

what are talking about? 8O
letten 22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:33 am    Post subject: ............................ Reply with quote

i don't really care what your talking about..................................................................................................................................................... :twisted:
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSA is the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture. It obsoletes OSS (Open Sound System) as of the 2.6 kernel branch. You may want to read The Gentoo ALSA Guide for more information and a how-to.
teutzz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you all ever to be satisfied?!? (not my intention to start a flame war) but at least nvidia is doing something, i personally don't care if it's closed source or if it support oss and not alsa the bottom line is that is exists and it works as it should and that is good enough for me and it should be good enough for (all of) you....!!!! just my 2 bucks
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the driver would be stable or at least usable, I wouldn't complain. But right now it is in rather heavy alpha state. :roll:
codergeek42
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teutzz wrote:
are you all ever to be satisfied?!? (not my intention to start a flame war) but at least nvidia is doing something, i personally don't care if it's closed source or if it support oss and not alsa the bottom line is that is exists and it works as it should and that is good enough for me and it should be good enough for (all of) you....!!!! just my 2 bucks
? OSS is deprecated in the 2.6-series kernel. Imho, if nVidia wants to tout 2.6 support, that's fine, but they should do so using the proper sound-subsystem, then. (and ALSA is easily back-ported to 2.4 kernels). I do think the fact that tehy have release the driver is a step in the right direction, however.
Fortean
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

codergeek42 wrote:
OSS is deprecated in the 2.6-series kernel. Imho, if nVidia wants to tout 2.6 support, that's fine, but they should do so using the proper sound-subsystem, then. (and ALSA is easily back-ported to 2.4 kernels). I do think the fact that tehy have release the driver is a step in the right direction, however.

OSS is depracated in the kernel for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the libraries or the features of ALSA. OSS is, for all intents and purposes, feature-equivalent to ALSA. As far as I remember, OSS was marked as depracated in the kernel because of almost chaotic development of OSS drivers - at any rate OSS is as well supported as ALSA and, at any rate, things like arts make the underlying sound libraries completely irrelevant.

Bombing nvidia with e-mails right after they give the community what they wanted is not only rude but, in this case, wrong. OSS works as well as ALSA, full stop. Just because you see "depracated" when you run make menuconfig it does not mean it is worthless.
PrakashP
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I said, Nvidia deserves some bombing, because the driver won't run (or do it reliable) on most current 2.6 systems. You have to disable quite a lot of kernel stuff to get that module loaded and even if you managed it, you will find a hard time getting sound out for an amount of time.

But i have hopes that the next release is more usable.
fatshady
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: confused Reply with quote

I'd like to send an email if it will help....

I have to admit to being slightly confused. I have an NForce2 audio chip on my mobo, but it seems to be working...

I installed the latest drivers from portage, and they seem to work... What is missing? Am I being dumb... Admittedly I have not tried the 5.1 yet as I am still sorting the house out having just moved...

Cheers

D
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatshady,

Only some of the nForce2 sound is working. The new nVida drivers make most of the rest work too but they are a biit flakey and OSS only, at least, for now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
fatshady
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - I'll mail them too - I couldn't remember why I hadn't emerged the latest nforce-audio modules, but now I do...

I'll be sending that now then!!
Sastraxi
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One drawback of this is JACK -- you probably won't be able to use it with the OSS driver. I'm still in the "nVidia's doing the right thing" camp, though. Give it time.
yagami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortean wrote:
codergeek42 wrote:
OSS is deprecated in the 2.6-series kernel. Imho, if nVidia wants to tout 2.6 support, that's fine, but they should do so using the proper sound-subsystem, then. (and ALSA is easily back-ported to 2.4 kernels). I do think the fact that tehy have release the driver is a step in the right direction, however.

OSS is depracated in the kernel for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of the libraries or the features of ALSA. OSS is, for all intents and purposes, feature-equivalent to ALSA. As far as I remember, OSS was marked as depracated in the kernel because of almost chaotic development of OSS drivers - at any rate OSS is as well supported as ALSA and, at any rate, things like arts make the underlying sound libraries completely irrelevant.

Bombing nvidia with e-mails right after they give the community what they wanted is not only rude but, in this case, wrong. OSS works as well as ALSA, full stop. Just because you see "depracated" when you run make menuconfig it does not mean it is worthless.

first , they didnt gave us what we wanted ... they gave us a shitty binary module.

second , oss was deprecated (rightfully) and alsa is much better than oss. alsa has a much better api , and doesnt have broken drivers like oss has.

third , it isnt arts that make the underlying sound libraries inrelevant , its the underlying sound libraries that make arts inrevelent !!!

arts was made because OSS didnt have hardware mixing for most of its drivers.
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

Location: Newcastle, Australia. 7487 miles south-west of America.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Gigabyte K8NS (not a pro) motherboard based on the Nforce3 250 chipset. I know that it has some sort of in-built sound and that it has an AC'97 codec, whatever that is. Is it the actual sound chipset? What do I need to put in to my kernel to use sound (will the Nforce drivers enable it?) or is it supported by another package (if the sound is some chipset Gigabyte put on the board and not an actual Nforce feature).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastM,

lspci will tell you about your sound chipset. You may need to
Code:
emerge pciutils
if lspci doesn't work.

AC97 is a standard for an audio codec. thats a coder/decoder, which is supported by most post 1997 hardware (thats where the 97 comes from).

If you are still stuck post your lspic output.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it from the 2004.2 boot CD but it said "Multimedia Controller: Unknown 00e3" or something along those lines. In fact there were a few unknowns, including the ethernet chipset. Is the 100Mb chipset an Nforce thing, or is that only the 1Gb ones?

Edit: OK I just emerged pciutils and did an lspci. They've been added to the PCI card database! :o

Code:
blastm@blastbox blastm $ /sbin/lspci
0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00e1 (rev a1)
0000:00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00e0 (rev a2)
0000:00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce 250Gb PCI System Management (rev a1)
0000:00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00e7 (rev a1)
0000:00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00e7 (rev a1)
0000:00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation: Unknown device 00e8 (rev a2)
0000:00:05.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb Network Controller (rev a2)
0000:00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a1)
0000:00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Parallal ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
0000:00:0a.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation CK8S Serial ATA Controller (v2.5) (rev a2)
0000:00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb AGP Host to PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev a2)
0000:00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
0000:00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
0000:00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
0000:00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV40 [GeForce 6800] (rev a1)
0000:02:07.0 Ethernet controller: D-Link System Inc RTL8139 Ethernet (rev 10)
0000:02:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video Capture (rev 11)
0000:02:09.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio Capture (rev 11)

That's odd. Still a few unknowns (I can use USB fine, I just modprobed ohci-hcd), but most importantly it has the sound! So it is part of the Nforce chipset. And it has the ethernet but it says "Bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce3 250Gb" instead of "Ethernet Controller...".

The multimedia controller at the bottom is a TV-tuner card, and the ethernet card at the bottom is an RT8139-based card I put in there.

Last edited by BlastM on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlastM,

The numbers (two 4 digit hex numbers) after the Unknown can be googled for vendor and product.
Unknown means they are not in lspcis database yet.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
BlastM
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, tried Googling but several different results came up.

I think it's all good though. I'll just get the nforce drivers from the nvidia site and see how they go.
me22
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm fine with a binary driver. Just like nvidia-kernel, if it works well, that's fine.

I really would like it to be ALSA though :(
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sent mine. I spent many an hour when the A7N8X first came out trying to get multiple apps to play sound at once :)

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ @ oc'd to 2.3ghz
DFI Lanparty UltraD nForce4 SLI
2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
200gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, ive nforce2 chipset here
and i would like to know if this is the reason why i hear only one sound / time... talking about software, what could i do to solve this?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: