View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: xfce4 woes (partly FIXED) Reply with quote

Minor problem: If I use the menu to logout, Restart and Shut Down are grayed out. The big problem is that my desktop is not saved. If I go to Sessions and Startup in the Setup menu, and then go to Session. From there I can Clear saved session. That will clear all but ~/.cache/sessions/thumbs-mon1:0 which is a directory containing a .pmg file. If I then click on Save Sesson, there is a little flicker on the screen, but no evidence of anything being saved. When I log out and save the session, then this directory will have another entry like xfwm4-299eb6e86-664e-4780-9dfe-54c84648a8b3.state. But that apparently does me no good. Probably because I have this error in ~/.xsession-errors
Quote:
(xfce4-session:5257): xfce4-session-WARNING **: xfsm_manager_load_session: Something wrong with /home/m/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-mon1:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?
gnome-keyring-daemon: insufficient process capabilities, unsecure memory might get used

(xfce4-session:5257): xfce4-session-WARNING **: Unable to launch "/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --no-startup-window" (specified by autostart/google-chrome.desktop): Failed to execute child process "/opt/google/chrome/google-chrome" (No such file or directory)
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
So apparently it wants to look at xfce4-session-mon1:0, but when it saves the session it saves using an xfwm4 name. My ~/.xsession contains
Code:
#xfce4-session
exec startxfce4
I am using lightdm, but I've tried slim and sudo -u m startxfce4 -- vt7. All have the same problem. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by Fred Krogh on Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine works

i am using policykit and upower also i have gnome and kde support disabled .. on ~amd64 w/ slim as login manager

in the saved session directory there are the following files, directories:
thumbs-zlink1:0/ (directory)
xfce4-session-zlink1:0
xfce4-session-zlink1:0.bak
xfwm4-2f8280eb5-68ed-44fd-9633-f1232bfa9673.state

I'm also using xfce4-session-9999 from the xfce-dev overlay w/o the " xfce4-session-4.10.1-alock_support_to_xflock4.patch " ..All patches commented out in the ebuild .. but this should match the released xfce4-session-4.12.0-tar.bz2 .. except for a few minor updates ..

I've always had working session saves even when not using policykit or upower in the past ..

anything unusual in your install?
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anything unusual. I am running xfce4 4.12.0, but the old xfce4 was giving me trouble as well. My use flags for xfce4-session are: nls policykit systemd upower xscreensaver. I have no idea what to look for, but xfce4 has been a bit flaky with respect so saving windows for a long time. Etc. for not having a working restart from the logout menu.
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking more about your data, I located a /root/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-mon1:0 and copied it into ~/.cache/sessions. Logged out and back. My terminals stayed where they were, a godsend! Logout still won't restart, but having all those terminal windows come back where they were and active in the desired directories takes care the most important part of what has be bothered. Thanks.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm .. I'm using consolekit2.git version (eric koegel's) which should behave similarly to logind(systemd) ..

are you sure you are actually running systemd as your init system and not openRC with systemd supplying udev only ..

checkout the systemd entry in the gentoo.wiki if needed .. just an oddball guess .. w/o further info

it seems odd that restart etc is grayed .. means that something is not detected or is mis-configured ..
when I briefly tried systemd a few months ago it worked fine with xfce4-session-pre-4.12 (git/development versions)
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using openrc to get started. And sadly I don't know if systemd is doing anything more than supplying udev. Should I not have systemd as a use flag? I have it part of USE in /etc/make.conf.
derk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

recompile xfce4-session with -systemd use flag for it alone

i.e. in /etc/portage/package.use have the line : xfce-base/xfce4-session -systemd upower

if you use xfce4-power-manager do the same for it ..

and see what happens .. might work until you switch over to complete systemd then recompile it again with systemd
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thoughts, but that did take of that last little problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: