booting from SCSI disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pksings
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:55 pm    Post subject: booting from SCSI disk Reply with quote

For the last 10 days with whatever few minutes per day I can work with it. I have been trying to make a bootable scsi kernel/ initial ramdisk setup from the Win4Lin sources. I have not been successful. I have read all remotely related posts in the forum. I have read the documentation included with the kernel source.

I still cannot get the root filesystem to mount during boot, the messages are "failed to create /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc, port1,port2 etc..... The rest goes by too fast for me to read, and it "panics" and leaves those messages on the screen.

There are two scsi adapters in this machine, a Sym53c8xx and an IBM megaraid (ips).

The ips has the disks attached configured in a stripe, the cdrom, burner and tape drive are on the sym53c8xx.

I installed with genkernel, it boots and runs fine, I in fact am typing this from it. However for legal reasons I have to run Quickbooks to track my conservatee's accounts. Thus I emerged win4lin-sources, which brings with it a completely un-configured 2.4.20-win4lin-r1 source. Until I get this working I cannot pay my Conservatee's bills......

I made dep, bzImage, modules, modules_install with ips and sym53c8xx modules compiled in, and as loadable modules. Devfs is selected and compiled in, both as a module and after that failed, into the kernel directly. Unix98 pty's are not being compiled in at all. I made the intrd --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --with ips --with sym53c8xx. And without all of the above. I then tried --with ips --sym53c8xx. or something like that. I forget, that was five or six days ago.

I really don't have the time to try all the different combinations. I need to know what to put in to make it work, is there an "expert" that can tell me? Maybe somebody that can tell me what is in the genkernel? I have ten days before I have to format and put Windows or a different version of Linux on it to pay bills and then start completely over.

This used to be a Mandrake 9.1 machine, but the Mandrake 9.2 update hosed it so completely that I dropped Mandrake. It worked fine with 9.1 but I like the Gentoo approach much, much better so I don't want to go back.

Your help is greatly appreciated..

Pluvius
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you added the modules to the /etc/modules.autoload file?

Is the scsi controller on the motherboard, or is this a scsi PCI controller? If it is a scsi PCI controller, then the boot drive is not hda. It will be something like sg1 I believe. Someone with more scsi experience please help out here.

Also, have you editted your /etc/fstab file?

I have not use genkernel. It is supposed to automatically detect, configure, and compile the appropriate options in your kernel configuration, but in your case, with this out-of-the-ordinary set-up, I don't think it is detecting and setting everything up properly. I learned quite a bit the first few times I manually configured my kernel. I was able to make a list of all the modules I configured in the kernel so I could add them to /etc/modules.autoload.

Sorry, I haven't been too much help here.

Pluvius
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: