[SOLVED] Why no mozc_tool?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Why no mozc_tool? Reply with quote

I have installed mozc, the FOSS version of Google Japanese Input, and am very much missing the executable mozc_tool, which performs some important configuration functions. I realize that the package is still masked (~arch), but this tool is a very important part of the system and should not be missing. Can anyone explain why, or say when the package will be feature-complete? Thanks.

(edit: yes, I've done find / to see if it's in an unexpected place, but... it is not.)

Last edited by Punchcutter on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

From a quick-like look-see, it seems that it's installed (under /usr/lib64/mozc/mozc_tool here) if the USE-flag qt4 is enabled.

It just opens an about dialog here, but I didn't really look into how to actually use it. ^^;
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! Thanks Chiitoo.... you hit on the problem. I didn't realize the tool was tied to the qt4 USE flag, which was turned on when I first tried to build, but it came up with a compile error, so I thought "oh, I don't need any GUI stuff", and deactivated that flag, to get it to compile successfully :(
Punchcutter
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the mozc package maintainer is reading this, it would be nice if there were a "yellow star" warning at the end of the ebuild process saying that because qt4 is turned off, you are missing the most important configuration tool. Also, the blurb for qt4 when one does equery uses mozc should also mention that configuration tools will be unavailable. Just saying "this flag adds support for QT4 toolkit" is rather useless, and led me to believe that it was something I could turn off without any harmful side effect :roll:

Other package maintainers should take a hint from this: make the USE flag descriptive blurbs as useful as possible! Often they are not. Thanks.
bandreabis
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchcutter wrote:
If the mozc package maintainer is reading this, it would be nice if there were a "yellow star" warning at the end of the ebuild process saying that because qt4 is turned off, you are missing the most important configuration tool. Also, the blurb for qt4 when one does equery uses mozc should also mention that configuration tools will be unavailable. Just saying "this flag adds support for QT4 toolkit" is rather useless, and led me to believe that it was something I could turn off without any harmful side effect :roll:

Other package maintainers should take a hint from this: make the USE flag descriptive blurbs as useful as possible! Often they are not. Thanks.

Very right.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: