View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
weylik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Locale setting is trying to bring in non-installed fonts Reply with quote

NOTE: Please excuse me if this is the wrong place, but this is to do with fonts so seemed the most appropriate place to mention it

Hello

Recently I installed and compiled a game (ZDoom) to be exact and all went well until it crashed at a certain point where text is displayed with the error 'Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion' in the terminal. I did some research to discover what this was thinking it was to do with the game but as it turns out (according to This website scroll until you see the slowness section) it is a problem with my locale trying to bring in fonts which are not installed. I tried this with xclock as the website says and I get the same error, proving it is not a problem specific to the game.

However, I am not sure where to go from here. The only locale I have enabled on the system is standard en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 (according to me locale.gen file). So if anyone could tell me how I could perhaps go about finding the solution to this problem, that would be great.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you please show us your output of both
Quote:
$ locale
and
Quote:
$ locale -a

BTW:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Localization/Guide is a good starting point, and also https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/UTF-8#Setting_up_UTF-8_with_Gentoo_Linux
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@weylik: you're asking the wrong question.

ZDoom for somewhat misguided reasons is using xmessage to put the crash output on screen.
The proper solution is to ignore the error and not have xmessage installed in the first place.
The errors are written to the log file anyway and if you're in need of proper debugging, gdb is the way to go here (of course, you need it built with debugging symbols in such case).

On a semi-related note: are you using one of the release tarballs or are you building from git ?
weylik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locale gives me

Code:
LANG=en_GB.utf8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.utf8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.utf8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.utf8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.utf8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.utf8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.utf8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.utf8"
LC_ALL=

Whilst locale -a gives me

Code:

C
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

And I shall have a look at those guides, thanks

@VoidMage
Right, but since it shows up in other programs surely it is a problem with my system not the game? I have will give it a go with gdb and different builds and see what happens. I am using git yes, release tarballs are very old so I prefer to use git.
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weylik wrote:
Whilst locale -a gives me

Code:

C
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

Then printenv should show you what's set in your envirenment
Quote:
$ printenv | grep 'LC\|LANG'
LC_COLLATE=C
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Places to set is your ~/.bashrc per user or /etc/env.d/02locale per system wide setting.
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weylik wrote:
Right, but since it shows up in other programs surely it is a problem with my system not the game? I have will give it a go with gdb and different builds and see what happens. I am using git yes, release tarballs are very old so I prefer to use git.

Not really. Only apps printing those errors are those still using xfonts - IMHO all of them that can use only xfonts are useless.
The others at minimum can use xft (which still sucks, though a bit less) or make use of fontconfig (or an equivalent mechanism).
Those that are still bound to xfonts by this date, are simply broken by design.

I simply call 'Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion' 'A Problem That Doesn't Deserve A Fix'.
weylik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VoidMage wrote:

Those that are still bound to xfonts by this date, are simply broken by design.

Ah I see, so it is a problem with the program because it's just using outdated methods of font management. I guess I'll try and take it up on the forum for the game then, thanks for the help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: