Raspberry Pi 2 Masked Packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneghost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Raspberry Pi 2 Masked Packages Reply with quote

In many tutorials for installing Gentoo on Raspberry Pi 2 I see instructions to install raspberrypi-sources and raspberrypi-userland, but none of them are saying anything that these packages are now masked. Is there a reason for this? Should I just unmask them with all dependencies or is it a bad idea? I recently installed Gentoo without these packages and tried to install xfce4-meta, xorg-11 and lightdm. These have installed with some serious warnings, but I can't make them work. After starting xdm I see black screen (i changes /etc/conf.d/xdm to use lightdm). I suspect this can be because of lack of userland or I am missing some important settings. Please explain me current situation with these packages.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneghost,

Welcome to Gentoo

The raspberrypi-sources-3.10.1_pre-r20130719.ebuild has
Code:
KEYWORDS="~arm"
The .9999, that means live up to the minute ebuilds have KEYWORDS=""

First off ARM development is fairly rapid. There are no raspberry Pi kernels keyworded for stable.
raspberrypi-userland is the same.

You can either have comparativly old versions by adding the package atoms to your package.keywords file of you can have the as it happens versions by adding the packages to your package keywords with the special keyword **, which matches any keyword - including no keyword at all.

The problem with building the live versions is that they may not build, or if they do, they may not work, as they are always a work in progress.
The problem with the testing versions is that they may be too old.
That raspberrypi-sources-3.10.1_pre-r20130719.ebuild is from July 19, 2013 - two year ago.

As the pace of ARM development is fairly rapid, I would install a complete testing system and back off a few things that caused problems and add in a few live builds to get the functionality I needed.
I only have the arm6j Pi One with 256M RAM though.
With this approach, you should set FEATURES=buildpackage, so you keep a copy of all the binaries you build. In future when you get a dud, you can install from your binaries, without waiting the rebuild time.

You might want to play with crossdev and pump mode distcc if you have a more powerful system.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
oneghost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your response. I will definitly try distcc, I was planning this in the future. I am currently working on bash script, that would automatically download, install and configure gentoo on my raspberry sd card. So far I managed to install base system with some most important packages, and now I'm working on desktop environment (as optional).
As you suggested I will try to emerge live builds and unmask using package.keywords. I'll let know if this helped.

By the way could you tell me how did you configure VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES in make.conf? I know that for RPi-2 this will probably be a little different, but would make a nice starting point for me.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onedhost,

I have
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="omap omapfb fbdev"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev"
then discovered that omap and omapfb are not supported.
However, this was set up in the very early days of Raspberry Pi.- before there was open accelerated video drivers for the Pi 1.
Your arm7 based system may well have a different graphics engine to my arm6 based Pi.

fbdev is always safe. That means that the CPU does all the work and uses the video RAM as just another area of memory.
There is no video acceleration at all.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
oneghost
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing unmasked raspberrypi-userland worked. Thank you for help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: