View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roarinelk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: KDE 5: I see only black windows Reply with quote

Hello,

I've installed KDE5 (kde-plasma/plasma-meta to be exact), but when I launch it, I see no desktop. I can see the
mouse cursor, and on right-clicks, the desktop context menu pops up. I select "desktop settings" and
a window opens up, with everything black inside. Only all kwin-configuration related windows and the
lockscreen show any content.

I did notice that when the mouse hovers above what is supposed to be the K-menu the cursor changes, same goes
for example for the invisble logout dialog when I hit ctrl-alt-delete. So the windows are there, I just don't see anything.

gfx driver is the nvidia blob. What USE flags do people who can use KF5 use with Qt5 and kwin?

Any hints appreciated!
FunzZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I got exactly the same problem !

I have found a workaround:

Changing the eselect opengl from nvidia to xorg-x11 fixes the problem.

So it seems this is related to the nvidia driver.

I have no more information about it, but now I am able to display a kde desktop.

If anyone has more information, please help !

Thanks.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizarre... I used to have exactly the same bug on nvidia hardware 8-9 years ago when running compiz. They really haven't fixed it in that time?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a bug with eselect, currently.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's cool - I've got a working fix that I'm currently baking 8)

Surprise, surprise... it's all down to the broken open-eselect-1.3.1 implementation...

I've been polishing up my fixes today - so that hopefully they can get mainlined into the main Gentoo tree. Sadly that means I've got to test the re-modified media-libs/mesa and app-eselect/eselect-opengl packages first... I'll push them to my Layman Overlay when the testing is done...

Man, it's taken ~3 weeks to transition to Plasma 5 - but it's worth the wait - once you get it working!! Just as good - if not better than my Arch install of the same... Plasma 5 appears to be quite stable when your GL libraries aren't completely borked... 8)

Bob

Please could I request anyone experiencing issues (primarily with the Nvidia proprietary drivers and starting a Plasma 5 Sessions / SDDM) to test the following (pre-patched) packages:
media-libs/mesa::bobwya
app-eselect/eselect-opengl::bobwya

from my Layman Overlay bobwya

Please also see the Gentoo Bug report "Plasma 5 + Nvidia drivers 361.18 - only EGL support, no GLX support - unable to start Plasma 5 Session" for more information!!
Just remember to rebuild all packages depending on media-libs/mesa::bobwya !!

Ta
Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
roarinelk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did manage to get it working, on another desktop with the nvidia blob. I don't know *exactly* what I did
to make it work, but I attribute it to removing the "egl" and "gles2" use flags from all qt5 builds.
@BobWya: I'll give your modified builds a try in a sec.
BobWya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarinelk wrote:
I did manage to get it working, on another desktop with the nvidia blob. I don't know *exactly* what I did
to make it work, but I attribute it to removing the "egl" and "gles2" use flags from all qt5 builds.
@BobWya: I'll give your modified builds a try in a sec.

Yeah, that sounds like the best build options to choose.

I don't have egl USE flag enabled for my dev-qt/qtgui:5 library (which should reduce the chance of breakage)...

You can easily see what GL libraries Plasma 5 is linking against. I guess you'd have to add these checks to a cron job to dump the output to a file - if you've got a black screen!!

On my system:
Code:
ldd /usr/lib/libQt5Gui.so.5.5.1 | grep GL
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x00007f92107ec000)
        libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007f920e03f000)
        libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007f920dd30000)

Code:
ldd /usr/bin/kwin_x11 | grep GL
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x00007fa3cc7a8000)
        libEGL.so.1 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libEGL.so.1 (0x00007fa3c8daf000)
        libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007fa3c6e83000)
        libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007fa3c6b75000)

Code:
ldd /usr/bin/sddm-greeter | grep GL
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1 (0x00007fc19fc45000)
        libGLX.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLX.so.0 (0x00007fc19df54000)
        libGLdispatch.so.0 => /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0 (0x00007fc19dc46000)

It's not clear to me why Qt5 / KWin 5 is not respecting the:
Code:
LDPATH="/usr/lib32/opengl/nvidia/lib:/usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib"

env variable - in some circumstances - when this set by the existing eselect-opengl utility.

Perhaps I should try re-enabling the egl USE flag to break everything again 8)

Bob
system: G751JT (ASUS-NotebookSKU); processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4710HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz; memory: 32GiB System Memory; display: GM204M [GeForce GTX 970M]; disk: 2048GB Samsung SSD 850;BD-CMB UJ172 S;1024GB Samsung SSD 850
frares
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on this issue?

I've just moved to KDE-5 and got the same effects as described by the original poster and followers.

Would like to use the nvidia (although proprietary) instead of xorg-x11 on "eselect opengl".

Thanks!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without any information from your side and previous history of Nvidia woes I'd say disable any mention of gles* and egl USE flag.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: