Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
first post: would gentoo be appropriate for this system?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: first post: would gentoo be appropriate for this system? Reply with quote

hi all,

first off let me say what a great resource this forum is and how happy i am to have come across it. i've been playing around with linux for a few years now (mostly redhat, suse, mandrake) and i've been working with unix systems (suns and sgi's) since the early 90s. i've also tried the different BSD's and had a powerbook that i converted from OSX to yellowdog, so i'm not quite a newbie, but i'm a little confused as to whats the best distro to use on my girlfriends PC.

right now i've got gentoo on my PIII 500 system, and i was able to emerge and compile everything in a "reasonable" ammount of time, but her machine is a PII 266 with 128MB of RAM and a 4.3GB disk (she's got another 3GB that's got win2k on it and is expressly for playing The SIms) .

i've got gentoo on it right now, but i downloaded the 2 live CD's and emerged the binary packages-- it took a pretty long time to compile the kernel, so i don't think i'll want to make a regular habit of compiling stuff on it.

she's a photography buff and basically wants her computer for image manipulation chores-- so i figured i could eek the most performance out of it with gentoo, but now i'm thinking maybe i should just put redhat on it and turn her loose?

any thoughts? i haven't played with gentoo enough to know how much maintenance it requires-- she's getting tired of not being able to use "her" computer! :)

i know you all have probably been thru similar situations, and i would really appreciate any direction you can impart.

thanks much!
patrick
Mactabilis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming all your computers are networked I would setup distcc so you can use the combined computer power to compile software on her computer.

Here is the official gentoo distcc guide, you can find lots more information on these forums.

Hope that will help you somewhat.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Gentoo on a 300mhz K6-2 with 128mb, but it really is primarily a nameserver, not a desktop.

distcc may be a good option, as would a GRP install. If it seems like too much waiting, Debian's great for slower boxen.
RedBeard0531
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add 64-128Meg of ram to get the most performace increase. Im on a TP 600 with a p2 400 and 167MB. With a 2.6 kernel (love-sources to be specific) I can compile to my hearts content while surfen the web and playenmusic in beep(a gtk2 xmms) from over the network. That is untill I start using swap. Since Ive made the move to -Os I rarly swap and my sys is superfast and responcive. I sugest you try it, and NEVER user -O3 EVER!!!
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.ebay.com
get a new computer, man. you can get something much better for nothing these days. If you stick with the current com, try FreeBSD. It's as fast as gentoo, uses a similar package system, but as a lot of prebuilt binaries (for everything) available.
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the feedback! i didn't know about distcc-- sounds cool, but the only problem is the computers are not in the same place-- do they have to be on the same LAN or is a cable connection on each end fast enough?

i rescued a cyrix 366 machine from the dumpster the other day, and it works fine-- only problem is i can't get it to run at 366MHz-- fastest i could get it to be stable at is 315MHz (it says 100MHz bus and 2.5 mult on the chip, which would be 250MHz, which is what it was running at when i found it, but i don't know why then it was labled as a MX366 or something like that....

i'll probably give her my pIII when i build a new system here shortly. i was working on a sun ultra5 and i've got an old VAXstation that i fool around on, so i really need to upgrade my hardware a bit.....

i've got the debian (woody) 7 CD set that i made up, but i don't care much for the installer and the lack of choice when it comes to filesystems (ext2 or ext2 or ext2) i'm told there are ways around this, but i can't see any reason to put forth the extra effort.

and yea i was thinking about trying out freebsd on her machine-- i remember it was very quick when i had it on my pIII-- so that might be something to try in the mean time.
Naughtyus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think The Sims works with Winex
torchZ06
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i guess this is a non issue now that i'm giving my GF my old system (piii 500, 256MB, 40GB)

i took a look at the current HW prices and couldn't resist-- so here's what the fedex guy otta bring tomorrow: p4 3.2, abit ic7-g, 1GB mushkin L2, 80GB SATA barracuda, antec 480W true blue, still waiting on the antec p160 case to be available... it looks too suhweet! i'm gonna keep my old asus geforce2 GTS for now-- i want to get an LCD monitor and i'll pick up a card with DVI support then. first i gotta get rid of my 24" sony-- i know its a great monitor but i don't do graf/x stuff anymore and for me reading code on a flatpanel is much easier on the eyes than a CRT-- personal preference i guess-- or im just getting old-- so anybody looking for a cherry gdm-fw900, drop me an email :)

thanks again for the input and i'll let y'all know how the system runs when i get in put together and get gentoo installed.

best,
patrick
nlightn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torchZ06 wrote:
i've got the debian (woody) 7 CD set that i made up, but i don't care much for the installer and the lack of choice when it comes to filesystems (ext2 or ext2 or ext2) i'm told there are ways around this, but i can't see any reason to put forth the extra effort.

If you boot from disc 5 -- can't remember if it's disc 4 or 5, pretty sure it's 5 though -- instead of disc 1, you can use the 2.4 kernel, as well as choosing from ext2, ext3, reiserfs, and I believe 1 or 2 more. You boot like normal, change BIOS, pop in disc 5... the only difference is when you start to install system packages, you will be prompted for disc 1. I don't think that is a whole lot of extra effort.

Oh, and as for the installer, with apt-get (as with Gentoo's Portage), you only have to use it once because of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and 'emerge -u world' respectively. I think this puts some needed perspective on the installer vs. usability issue.

EDIT: Just read that you ordered a new PC. Whichever route you go, good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: