Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
tiny ugly fonts because of some bloatware i decided to inst.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
misc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 2:27 am    Post subject: tiny ugly fonts because of some bloatware i decided to inst. Reply with quote

Hello, all was well a few weeks ago while using fluxbox until I decided to install gnome and use that as my WM. Done that, everything was fine for a while then last night I decided to install KDE. That was alright too until I relised that, I never use menus and its too big and clunky and so is gnome so I thought I'd go back to fluxbox. Ohhhhhh not so fast!

Well, although it almost looks the same as it use to, for some reason, gtk apps that I use (xchat, evolution, mozilla-firebird) had some tiny fonts instead of the originals. I eventually got mozilla working to the point where webpages look fine, but the menus up the top are still small, and xchat2 has tiny fonts as well.

Someone said to install switch2 for gtk which allows you to switch gtk apps. I did that, and you can select the font as well which fixed evlolution, but mozilla and xchat still display 1micrometer fonts.

So how do I get them back to normal?

One other thing, I want to completely get rid of kde and gnome. I was going to do an emerge depclean, which apparently removes files that are not in use *and* not in the world file. I have a sneaking suspsion though that doing that command will completely stuff everything up though, especially after relising it wants to unmerge ati-drivers.

If I completely unmerge gnome, then I can still run my gtk apps right? I'm just a bit confused over gtk and gnome. Is it that they are completely seperate from each other, or do they depend on each other? If i remove gnome, then will mozilla still work?

I just want to completely clean up this box but I dont want to re-install because I dont have the CD with me at the moment, lent it to someone. I have a feeling though that I'm eventually just going to do a emerge depclean and then just re-emerge anything that is needed. It will probably fix up my font problem too.
sa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if this will help but try:

cd ~
rm -rf .fonts.cache-1 .gconf* .gnome* .gtk* .metacity .nautilus

or, mabey you could use the gnome-font-properties app, click the details button and increase the Resolution (dot per inch)

hth,
sa
misc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks but I decided to just ditch fluxbox and go with xfce :) btw, I found a solution to remove full packages...

Just do this:

for package in `/usr/lib/portage/bin/pkglist |grep kde|cut -d / -f 2|cut -d \- -f 1`
do
emerge -C $package
done

Thats just something I made up and obviously you would want to run the pkglist command first just to make sure that it's not removing any packages you need. I removed KDE this way and it worked a treat.[/code]
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: