New desktop suggestions.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:16 pm    Post subject: New desktop suggestions. Reply with quote

I'm wanting to design a new desktop for myself. I've used a good bit of different DE and WM but I haven't found anything that I like as much as my kde. I have tried:

Kde
XFCE4
Fluxbox
Enlightenment
Kahakai

As you can see I haven't tried gnome, although it's looking more and more attractive. What I want is something that is fast. I like the speed of fluxbox and kahakai but some features I want seem to be missing. One is that I like to be able to set a window to always be on top, for if I'm watching a video while I browse the web, or if I want a terminal on top. I didn't have that option in XFCE4 and for some reason it seemed to run away with the cpu and memory sometimes on my system. Kahakai seems to have that option but fluxbox seems to be missing it. Another thing I like is that when iconified windows go into a bar rather than a little window like in enlightenment. This is one thing I liked about fluxbox.

I like kde but the simplicity of just a WM looks nice sometimes. Plus I like the speed of a light weight desktop. Sometimes kde just feels bulky, but I am anxious for when 3.2 comes out.

I've thought about giving gnome a try but I don't really like nautilus as a file manager. I guess I could still use konq or something else. I like the look of gnome. It seems a little more simple than kde. I guess that's where the KISS thing came from.

I guess what the ideal choice would be is a lightweight window manager with an icon bar that I can set windows to always be on top. Maybe if I could use the gnome panel and bar with Kahakai or something. Can't gdesklets and karamba give you a bar?

So any suggestions are welcome. Any at all.

Thank you.
Aurora
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I know this is quite unconstructive and not very helpful, but...)

Wow you've tried 'em all! ;)

j/k with ya buddy
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is to just try GNOME. It is however, a full desktop environment, and you may not like that. If you don't like it, just switch to something else =)

Remember though, that you always mix and match.

No stay on top in xfce4? No problem! Just run kwin on it. KDE feeling bulky? No problem! Just run openbox3 with it, and compile KDE with DO_NOT_COMPILE to not install any cruft you don't need.

If you're waiting for KDE 3.2, the first beta is coming out early this week. The biggest changes aren't necessarily in the desktop environment though, but in the apps. Although there are nice little things like many control panels getting redesigned and konq's menus getting a rundown.
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, yeah actually when I looked at my list. I was thinking, "I haven't really tried that many at all considering the plethora of WM out there." That's the cool thing about linux though.
nrl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the number of WM you have tried is inversely proportional to the amount of work you do ;) BTW I have tried quite a few more than you :roll:.
Ziljian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: New desktop suggestions. Reply with quote

Yossarian wrote:
Maybe if I could use the gnome panel and bar with Kahakai or something. Can't gdesklets and karamba give you a bar?

So any suggestions are welcome. Any at all.

Many folks use Gnome-panel with Kahakai, this topic was recently discussed in the following thread -

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=101315
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always Rox desktop.

No, seriously. Give it a try. You might be shocked.
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
My suggestion is to just try GNOME. It is however, a full desktop environment, and you may not like that. If you don't like it, just switch to something else =)

Remember though, that you always mix and match.

No stay on top in xfce4? No problem! Just run kwin on it. KDE feeling bulky? No problem! Just run openbox3 with it, and compile KDE with DO_NOT_COMPILE to not install any cruft you don't need.

If you're waiting for KDE 3.2, the first beta is coming out early this week. The biggest changes aren't necessarily in the desktop environment though, but in the apps. Although there are nice little things like many control panels getting redesigned and konq's menus getting a rundown.

This is a good way to go. I run xfce4 but didn't like the file manager or the term so I use gnomes. You might want to try kahamai with xfce4. They all generally work fine this way.

If you like xfce4, which I do, just edit startxfce4 to open fluxbox or whatever.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
Yossarian
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! Every single one of your posts have been really, really helpful, and have given me some useful insights into my questions.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linus uses KDE, so we should all just use KDE as well ;)
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New desktop suggestions. Reply with quote

Yossarian wrote:
One [feature] that I [would like is] to be able to set a window to always be on top, for if I'm watching a video while I browse the web, or if I want a terminal on top. Another thing I like is that when iconified windows go into a bar.

Kahakai does have the 'always on top' feature and, for a bar, there's a plethora of panels available which offer said functionality - fspanel, pypanel, perl panel, gnome bar (a gDesklet) or it's super karamba equivalent, the gnome panel or kicker.

It's not like you're short of choice. :)

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
Linus uses KDE, so we should all just use KDE as well ;)

:D

note: hook's a KDE user from 1.x series on

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: