Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adriang
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it available in beta1? the kde 3.2 release plan seems to indicate that it's in progress and possibly not complete yet. I've not got it compiled yet myself but wysiwyg editing would be great for form design but I tend to prefer to be anal and type out my html by hand (which generally isn't hard since I'm pretty spartan about my tags and tend to make heavy use of CSS)

I had hoped that it would be available in the beta, since it's a feature that must be tested heavily by users. The quanta website also hasn't been updated for years, and the mailing list wasn't very revealing.

Really, I'd love to give Quanta a try, but I'm pretty much stuck with Dreamweaver for several reasons:
    It needs to be visual, otherwise people at work will have the impression that I either want to show off, or that Linux webdesign is like that. I think I'm excellent writing HTML-code by hand, and it's useful, but clicking in the right place in the preview saves a lot of scroll work in complex tables. Same with deleting regions.

Legacy, the worst and best reason... Since where I work we used Dreamweaver for years, many if not all pages rely on Dreamweaver Templates and more important, DW-generated ASP code. Even someone with not that much knowledge can open these pages, and click around in DW to change things, like the password to the database, an additional column in a table, etc. I don't suppose Quanta will really try to emulate DW behaviour one day (why should it?), but a similar level of capabilities would be very nice.

I haven't used Quanta very much, but I see that its HTML editor is already very mature and feature rich. I hope the programmers will succeed implementing a sane VPL mode, and will concentrate on site management and RAD-features afterwards, since these four aspects are those that count in web design/programming when you want to get things done and keep code maintainable.

adrian
monotux
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when you people will learn your lessons: don't use kde! :-P :-D :-P :-D
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:
I wonder when you people will learn your lessons: don't use kde! :-P :-D :-P :-D

I wonder when you people will learn your lessons: read the guidelines. If you don't like KDE, don't bash who like it.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edgaer wrote:

Is it available in beta1? the kde 3.2 release plan seems to indicate that it's in progress and possibly not complete yet. I've not got it compiled yet myself but wysiwyg editing would be great for form design but I tend to prefer to be anal and type out my html by hand (which generally isn't hard since I'm pretty spartan about my tags and tend to make heavy use of CSS)

Short Answer: No
Long Answer: Yes, you can enable it, --enable-kafka in configure (I think.. you'll need to edit the ebuild), but it's not finished yet in time for kde 3.2.

Good thing is that it brought about caret browsing in khtml, which was complete enough for 3.2 (f9 I think in konq)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retribrute wrote:

I've tried everything else under the sun, and despite not using kde 2.x or 3.0 at all (I used gnome 1.2 and 1.4), I always keep coming back to KDE. It's good that we have choice to use whatever we want. 8)
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sad, but I think the best addition to the beta after the alphas was kmix supporting ALSA mixers!!!! YEAH! Now I can actually control my digital Audigy from a system tray app.

And Juk doesn't suck for me anymore. Those are my two favorite features right there.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting some wierd behavior. khotkeys crashes in the start, noatun does not play without hickups (that's not new :) ) -- xmms works just fine, and worse of all -- kdeinit has some leaking and eats all my memory.

Does anybody else have the same problems?
sessionID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khotkeys seems to work, noatun dies now and than (on every plugin change) + on startup it kills artsd :?

Xmms does not work (segfaults with the arts plugin), beep-media-player is ok

I don't see memory problems, well, maybe KDE uses a bit more than 3.1, but I'm not even sure.
yanos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good thing is that it brought about caret browsing in khtml, which was complete enough for 3.2 (f9 I think in konq)

What exactly is caret browsing? f9 only show up the sidebar.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yanos wrote:
Quote:

What exactly is caret browsing? f9 only show up the sidebar.

It's either f8 or f10 then (i'm in windows at work, can't check).. press it and then click on a html view, and you can navigate everything using the keyboard.
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F7 actually. Neat.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bssteph wrote:
F7 actually. Neat.

Yeah.. it's not as much useful by itself as it's a prequesite for khtml's design mode and find-as-you-type mode, which I expect to be stable for KDE 3.3/4.0.
HelloWorld82
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject: kde improvements ? Reply with quote

KDE 3.2 beta is working very nice for me. it also seems faster .
But ... do you also have the impression, that where isn't anymore big changes in Desktop envirenment ? What are the big changes ? I know where was a rewirte of kwin, but it looks the same for me ... konqueror is good andd fast as always (ok, its faster to browse the internet, but i dont find it to be soooo much faster).
If I hadn't look at "about kde" I would have thought that it's kde3.1. I thing its because everything looks sweet now - in gnome, or in kde. There isn't anymore areas where it's possible to make big improvements.
I thing, I will be much happy because of kdevelop 3, as because of kde3.2 or gnome 2.6.

p.s. : I didn't test kmail, I heard its now much better.
Angrybob
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to create a script to run the old version of konqueror(3.1) in 3.2? would be handy just to see the differences in rendering for web design. I thought of doing this:-

#!/bin/bash
export PATH="/usr/kde/3.1/bin:${PATH}"
export LDPATH="/usr/kde/3.1/lib:${LDPATH}
export KDEDIR="/usr/kde/3.1"
konqueror

It loads the proper version of konqueror but then when i try visiting a website it says it cant find libkhtml.la
sessionID
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: kde improvements ? Reply with quote

HelloWorld82 wrote:

But ... do you also have the impression, that where isn't anymore big changes in Desktop envirenment ? What are the big changes ?

I don't know the big changes in the code, as I'm not a coder. And I don't think there should be really big news, it's only a minor version upgrade, plus the whole interface-system won't change fundamentally. But if You check all kcontrol options You'll find a lot of small and very handy new features. Like scroll virtual desktops with the mouse-wheel (on the desktop, not the pager), really cool new hotkey manager, etc, plus new QT, more small improvements in the toolkit.

But for me the most important thing is the sweet screensaver-clock :D
j-kidd
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
I am getting some wierd behavior. khotkeys crashes in the start, noatun does not play without hickups (that's not new :) ) -- xmms works just fine, and worse of all -- kdeinit has some leaking and eats all my memory.

I also encounter the "khotkeys crashes in the start" problem, which is quite annoying.
Edgaer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: kde improvements ? Reply with quote

HelloWorld82 wrote:
KDE 3.2 beta is working very nice for me. it also seems faster .
But ... do you also have the impression, that where isn't anymore big changes in Desktop envirenment ? What are the big changes ? I know where was a rewirte of kwin, but it looks the same for me ... konqueror is good andd fast as always (ok, its faster to browse the internet, but i dont find it to be soooo much faster).
If I hadn't look at "about kde" I would have thought that it's kde3.1. I thing its because everything looks sweet now - in gnome, or in kde. There isn't anymore areas where it's possible to make big improvements.
I thing, I will be much happy because of kdevelop 3, as because of kde3.2 or gnome 2.6.

p.s. : I didn't test kmail, I heard its now much better.

A list of changes can be found at...the kde release plan. Stuff in the green box is finished. Stuff in the yellow box isn't
Nicom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: kde improvements ? Reply with quote

sessionID wrote:
Like scroll virtual desktops with the mouse-wheel (on the desktop, not the pager)

I love that feature , it's great for productivity when you get used to it.
Xiderpunk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding quite a few behavioural problems, especially with Noatun.. XMMS also won;t run at all.

Also experiencing frequent lock ups with kicker, seems it just randomly freezes. Even Konsole fails to redraw properley at times.

Kmail + IMAP breaks preview pane.

I like many of the new features but not stable enough yet for a useful desktop.

Kernel: 2.6.7--rc1-mm1
gcc: 3.3.2
desktop: kde-3.2.2 / XFCE4
NoUseForAName
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-kidd wrote:
pilla wrote:

I also encounter the "khotkeys crashes in the start" problem, which is quite annoying.

Should be fixed in KDE CVS now
NoUseForAName
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j-kidd wrote:
pilla wrote:

Should be fixed in KDE CVS now
MasterX
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an important question to ask you.
Are you having all these problems, because you did not install correctly KDE or because of bugs. It is very disturbing if it is the second, since KDE 3.2 is being released in a month or so.

Could someone be kind enough to post any screenshots for the rest of us, who are not brave enough to try unstable things. :)

Thanks
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterX wrote:
Could someone be kind enough to post any screenshots for the rest of us, who are not brave enough to try unstable things. :)

Brave?! A bit masochistic maybe... There are lots of annoying bugs, but I didn't lost data so far.

Carlo
VisualPhoenix
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualPhoenix wrote:
Hmm i just noticed a strange bug... On most applications (in konq, mozilla, etc) when i click File or Edit i get a blue highlight on what my mouse is currently over... HOWEVER... in GAIM when i click Buddy Tools or Help I get NOTHING to highlight what my mouse is over. Not only that in Mplayer the middle click doesnt work as expected... I cant get the dropdown list of options... Keep in mind the only thing that has changed was KDE from before to now so KDE must be at fault for this strange behavior in some fashion. Anyone else notice things like this?

Aah.. i had to re-run gnome-control-center (even tho i use kde) to fix it... very odd...

Can anyone explain why both gnome-control-center and kde control center can not adjust the system fonts globally? Its such a pain to have to open both and tweak both to get the desired font sizes set.
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VisualPhoenix wrote:

Can anyone explain why both gnome-control-center and kde control center can not adjust the system fonts globally? Its such a pain to have to open both and tweak both to get the desired font sizes set.

Because this isn't standardized (yet).. if you want it to be, write up a proposal and send it to xdg-list@freedesktop.org
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: