Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
About Gentoo 1.4...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
That's not true

That's correct. I didn't write what I was thinking :oops:
I meant there was no communication about any time frame... I mean after the one which says it could be ready for the Linuxworld Expo (which ended 20 days ago).

I just wish we would know the status of what's going on...
I understood there were packages not working with gcc 3.2, but I also read this wouldn't work till the developpers fix their code.
Why not giving a status of the work, something like:
Compiled x packages / y packages correctly, that's 80 % of the total
List of packages not compiling: xxx, yyy, ...

I'm sure this list has to be maintained somehow, too bad it's not published.
A lot of people could help to try to fix some ebuilds... thus this would have to be managed, and then it's maybe what you don't want.

Whatever, it's fine for me. I can wait, I'm not in a hurry. If I can help in any way the Gentoo dev team, I've got some time...
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
it's probably because there are issues with some packages.

Well maybe if we had more willing to beta TEST and report bugs, with possible fixes/workarounds then things could move more quickly. I don't see much reason in everyone just sitting around leaching and whining about not getting what we want, while it is someone else that is working hard to get it done. I think that if someone is impatient they should try to pick-up some slack. You are correct, I am lucky to not have any challenges with 1.4 beta!! However I had the courage to try it so that I could report any problems I did run into. I am merely testifying to how good and stable 1.4 beta already is. I never did post my list of packages or what C flags I used-- I do intend to do this, however my machine is packed up currently as I am moving. I will get it up for others to reference ASAP. Are you sure that you are not as lucky as I am, or do you suppose? I don't know how you can count your chickens before you have even bothered to try and hatch the egg. I'd be interested to hear what packages you have issues with, and what you have done to resolve them.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On reporting 'status' information, percentages aren't usually very good. High (or low) percentages can be misleading. I like how the OpenBeOS team decided to do their 'status' page.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
I like how the OpenBeOS team decided to do their 'status'page.

Indeed, this page gives a good overview without going on the detail, so nobody can expect something at a particular date.
Was there any discussion about giving a status of Gentoo 1.4 to the community?
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
I'd be interested to hear what packages you have issues with, and what you have done to resolve them.

As a matter of fact I haven't tried gcc 3.2.
The reason is I'm working on another project. I could spend some time if I knew it would help.
I don't want to spend two days trying to install it - and not working on my project - to learn the morning after that Gentoo 1.4 is released.
Nonetheless, I hoped you noticed I proposed to help... but I'm willing to do it only if it's helpfull.

Sorry if I sound like critisizing the Gentoo dev team. I really don't mean it. If it does, I think it's more a language issue as english is not my native language.
I just try to bring a discussion on the progress status on new releases.
I noticed a lot of people ask for date, and I understand coming with date is not possible for the Gentoo dev team. I just try to propose a solution to satisfy everybody, and I believe a status report would satisfy most of us, and involve us in the fix of none working packages.
And I try to come up with basic proposition about it.

Sorry if I offended you.
Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

I post this for the Gentoo Staff...

Can you inform us about the next release of Gentoo (1.4 and other) ??
Speculation is not very funny. I would like to say what will be inside of the new release, approx. out date, some news and info !!! , like some other distro.

I very like Gentoo, but we don't have a lot of news and info :(

I hope this will change !!

Thanks !!
markyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:39 am    Post subject: Silence is not golden..... Reply with quote

I like most of the gentoo users, I am currently awaiting the next release of gentoo with baited breath. However, the developers have seen fit to remain silent as to when it will be released. The question is why?

This silence has lead to many a rumour about when v1.4 will finally be release; 1 Aug, 14 Aug, 16Aug, 1 Sept, 15 Sept to name a few. So we hold off a our installations/upgrade for a few more days, hoping that the next fabled release date will hold true, only to be disappointed when the release date passes without a word from the developers.

Whats actually funny is I remember one of the developers saying that they didn't what to have a product that was promised by a certain date, only to have it delayed (hence stringing the users on). However, this is exactly what they are achieving by remaining quiet.

Is it too much to ask to have an news post on a weekly basis to let us know that the statis of the release? I recall a post about 2 months again mentioning that they were in the "final" stages of testing the new release. Final would indicate near completion. Near completion would mean that we should have copys of 1.4 in our hands now. So a news update would be much appreciated.

Bettter yet, how about a page indicating what features have been added or are being worked on. Currently there are rumours mentioning a graphical install or that it will not use gcc 3.2, for instance.

Another request would be for a release candidate to be produced. Yes I know of the existance of the beta tarball but it has not been updated for well over a month. I would think that there have been developments since then.

Don't get me wrong I love gentoo. Its definately the best distro I have seen in a long while. Its just a pity that its development is handled so poorly. Mandrake is a prime example on how to keep the users informed to updates. This idling by the developers will only turn users away from gentoo.

Eagerly awaiting the vapour-ware "Gentoo 1.4"....
french tony
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't what the fuss is about. I am running 1.4, beta or not is 1.4 since it is up-to-date thanks to portage. it is as close as you'll from a candodate release AND the release

I'm fortunate enough to have enough disk space (40 gig). So I created a 4 gig partition, mounted it as /mnt/gentoo, downloaded the 1.4 tarball, and followed the install instruction, untar the 1.4 tarball, and installed the whole base system from within X on a 1.2 gentoo.
What more would you want?
next time I need to do a clean install, I format the 1.2 partition, and follow the same procedure.
virtually no down time.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what all the fuss is about Gentoo 1.4 being released because 1.2 works just fine. I'm most happy for the portage system. It's about time someone created a really good from-source distro for Linux. Whether or not it's got gcc 3.2 or gcc 2.95.3 isn't all that big a deal. Plus, it seems like everything that's highly anticipated is going to be late relative to the person who's anticipating it. Just look at video games.. :)
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
gcc 3.2 or gcc 2.95.3 isn't all that big a deal

I haven't tried, but people who did talk about 20% speed gain with code compiled with gcc 3.2 compared to 2.95.x.
For those who tried, did you notice such a gain?

Nonetheless, I'm very happy with my Gentoo based on 2.95.x, I use it everyday and haven't had issue with it.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess a better way of saying it is, "Oh my gosh! How did we ever live without a 20% speed gain?" :)
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
I guess a better way of saying it is, "Oh my gosh! How did we ever live without a 20% speed gain?" :)

I lived with my 386sx, I was running Linux 0.x on it and it was working fine.
Nonetheless, I now have a P800 and I appreciate the speed gain :lol:
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, people are getting pretty worked up over this! I've GOTTA come to the defense of the developers here. I do recall that there was only one time when anyone gave any sort of timeframe for the release (the Linuxworld expo), and that was contingient on gcc 3.2 final being released AND not breaking too much. The gcc release was pushed back a bit, which delayed any testing, fixing, etc., and from what I see (having used gcc 3.1, 3.1.1, 3.2_pre and 3.2) there were some changes (i.e. 3.2 wasn't just 3.1.1 with C++ ABI fixes as it was originally going to be).

People have mentioned the new Mandrake RC1 with gcc 3.2, and I think there is a RedHat beta using 3.2, but by my count Gentoo has had at least 4 betas/release candidates using the gcc 3.x series (1.3a, 1.3b, 1.4_beta and the "hidden" .1.4), and IIRC was the first major distribution with gcc 3.x available as the default compiler. The next release is certainly a final non-beta release of 1.4. I'd bet cash money that Gentoo will be the first major distro with gcc 3.2 in a non-prerelease release (if you can parse that).

If you're too anxious to wait for 1.4 final, lots of people are having a great time running the 1.4 betas, and I myself am running the hidden .1.4 with zero problems (OK, a couple problems, but they were all my fault, and were non-serious).

As far as 1.4 features - I think a shift from gcc 2.95x to the 3.x series is MORE than enough for a whole minor revision number. Heck, with Redhat a gcc version change usually shifts a whole MAJOR revision number IIRC. If there's something more I'd be kinda (pleasantly) surprised and call it gravy.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what I'm really saying is that there's really no huge, all-consuming need to immediately have gcc 3.2 and gentoo 1.4 (like right now). They are working on getting it out in a reasonable time frame, but more importantly they want it to be done right. I like what phong said. He was very eloquent. It's not like we're running 386's here either, but at the same time if it's really all that important I would think that most people who absolutely have to have a 20% speed increase could simply go out and buy better hardware to achieve that end because most people are not running on the latest and greatest hardware. Even if you are running brand new stuff, if you have to have that speed up and there's no room for error go out and get a dual-processor system or buy a few systems and setup a beowulf cluster.
fmalabre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
I like what phong said. He was very eloquent.

I definitely agree.
I believe it's a very good summary of what everybody think.

Beside Gentoo 1.4 and all those discussions, what do you think of a page on the Gentoo web site which summarize the advancement of the new Gentoo versions?
Something like what people are working on, what is expected in the next version and what the status no tasks.
I believe that would be a real added value to the distrib and maybe can bring some feedback and propositions from the users for the evolution of Gentoo.
I am volunteer to start something like that if Gentoo dev team is interrested in providing something like this.
I understand it's no time for it now as Gentoo 1.4 is closed (is it? just kidding :lol: ) and I believe people are busy working on it.
But that would be a good addon for the future of Gentoo.
Mustard007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

For me, is not a question of "what is the out date of 1.4" but more an info and news problem. I use now the hidden .1.4 version.

I would like to say what will be included in the next release, what is the supposed due date, what will be the major addition. And, what projects is in the table now ?? (graphical installer, anything...).

I think the home Gentoo News page have to be more often updated and maybe a creation of a new "Projects News" will be appreciated.

It's a suggestion, but i hope you (the staff) will do sometings to remediate this lack.

Gentoo Linux is very cool, and is my OS.

Thanks !

Danny.
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
I haven't tried, but people who did talk about 20% speed gain with code compiled with gcc 3.2 compared to 2.95.x.

Boy that fish keeps getting bigger and bigger! Let's quote some benchmarks from gcc's page:
Quote:
According to the SPECInt2000 results on an AMD Athlon CPU, the code generated by GCC 3.1 is 6% faster on the average (8.2% faster with profile feedback) compared to GCC 3.0. The code produced by GCC 3.0 is about 2.1% faster compared to 2.95.3. Tests were done using the -O2 -march=athlon command-line options.

Now even assuming that there has been a further improvement of say, 1% in gcc 3.2 over gcc 3.1 (which is pretty unlikely, since I don't think there have been significant performance enhancements between those versions), my math gives me a total improvement of about 9.2% over 2.95 (speaking optimistically). That's nothing to sneeze at, and probably somewhat noticeable in computationally intensive stuff, but 20% sounds way out there. Also, those are CPU benchmarks - real world stuff is usually more IO bound than CPU bound so we're probably looking at a performance increase of maybe a couple percentage points in an average app. But then again, my glass may be half-full while others contain a 20% tastier beverage.

Also... That OpenBeOS status page IS really cool...
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmalabre wrote:
Beside Gentoo 1.4 and all those discussions, what do you think of a page on the Gentoo web site which summarize the advancement of the new Gentoo versions?
Something like what people are working on, what is expected in the next version and what the status no tasks.
I believe that would be a real added value to the distrib and maybe can bring some feedback and propositions from the users for the evolution of Gentoo. [...]

I think they are just trying to avoid creating a possible rumor mill. I don't know if that's the best route to take because there's already a rumor mill alive and well right here. :) I think they are just trying to concentrate more on actual development rather than inspiring dreams about what will come in the future. I don't know if there would be a whole lot of added value for something like this. I think most of the "New and Upcomming" updates from most companies are just loaded with a bunch of PR crap. Personally, I think reading mailing list is a lot more accurate and easier for the developers because they don't have to do anything. (Although if you are willing to work on it, they might be willing to help in some small way...)
hubick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a C++ programmer, and as such telling me the difference between GCC 2 and 3 isn't that big a deal is like telling most users that the difference between Gnome 2 and the command line isn't that big a deal!
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I like Gnome that's not too far off.. :D

Seriously though, from a developer standpoint there would certainly be a big difference, but the Gentoo crew has posted several beta versions of 1.4 where a developer (any developer, not just a gentoo developer..) can access it and use it. From a user standpoint there's really not a big difference and certainly not something that would require wailing and nashing of teeth.
markyd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:01 am    Post subject: time waster... Reply with quote

Seriously, who wants to spend a weekend installing gentoo when its going to be outdated possibly a few days? It would seem like a waste of time to me. Thats the main reason people are getting frustated with waiting. I guess I'm not the only one who feels like this as I see an increasing number of threads about 1.4's release date.

For those out there who state that there will only be a portage tree difference between 1.4beta and 1.4, then think again. In previous releases of gentoo many hacks have been required, in some cases, to "upgrade" a old version to the latest.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who wants to know Gentoo 1.4's release date, here is the definitive way to find out:
  • First, identify all the bugs in 1.4, including the ones that haven't been found yet. This should be very easy to do.
  • Next, triage those bugs to determine which ones are release critical.
  • Figure out what is causing those bugs in the first place. Again, this should take 5-10 minutes tops.
  • Figure out how many hours are needed from the dev team to solve those bugs.
  • Get a solid, unbreakable commitment from the entire dev staff on the amount of time they can contribute to Gentoo over the next few weeks. Never mind the fact that many of them are just starting school -- they obviously need to readjust their priorities.
  • Create a simple gantt chart to forecast the completion date
And viola! You have a guaranteed release date for 1.4. Sounds really easy, doesn't it?

--kurt
Chris Hickman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
For anyone who wants to know Gentoo 1.4's release date, here is the definitive way to find out:
  • First, identify all the bugs in 1.4, including the ones that haven't been found yet. This should be very easy to do.
  • Next, triage those bugs to determine which ones are release critical.
  • Figure out what is causing those bugs in the first place. Again, this should take 5-10 minutes tops.
  • Figure out how many hours are needed from the dev team to solve those bugs.
  • Get a solid, unbreakable commitment from the entire dev staff on the amount of time they can contribute to Gentoo over the next few weeks. Never mind the fact that many of them are just starting school -- they obviously need to readjust their priorities.
  • Create a simple gantt chart to forecast the completion date
And viola! You have a guaranteed release date for 1.4. Sounds really easy, doesn't it?

--kurt

You'd think they'd already know which bugs will be fixed before 1.4 final, since the projected release date was 8/15 per Daniel Robbins (in his interview)....

Chris
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Hickman wrote:
You'd think they'd already know which bugs will be fixed before 1.4 final, since the projected release date was 8/15 per Daniel Robbins (in his interview)....

They might have known which bugs would be fixed of those already identified. Don't you think it's possible that a few unforseen ones cropped up between then and now?

--kurt
sulu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now klieber, dont get angry with us "impatient-pain-in-the-neck-users". ;-)

Were are just all eagerly awaiting this 1.4-release.

And a tiny little announcement like
"Hi folks.
Due too problems with gcc-3.2 the 1.4 final is not to be expected before 30.09.2002!"
would be appreciated.

So long
Sulu
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: