View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmokinBudda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: x freezes Reply with quote

I've come to the desktop installation manual and just finished emerging kde. I followed the directions pretty well (did it 3 or 4 times, but so far all of my mistakes have been dumb mistakes so I won't rule out poor instruction following) and I get a system freeze when running startx.

It gives me a splash screen and just starts to draw the component loading window when it decideds to give me a hard lock. If I try to run kdm it will get as far as painting the username password window before locking up.

Let's see, I've got a Radeon 9800 - but I haven't even begun to install 3d support or anything like that yet so I would imagine I should be fine on that reguard, but I don't know.

I cannot hit alt-ctrl-backspace to cancel x. I have to flip the switch on my PSU to get it to reboot (I haven't tried getting through via ssh yet though). Ideas would be greatly appreciated as I'm not even sure if this is an X problem or a KDE problem.

www.davinatkins.com
Anime_Fan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, delete the extra topics you created...

Next, try just starting X or startx, and see if it locks up. Try moving the mouse around.

If it doesn't work, try to change the driver used in X ( driver=vesa). This is a sanity test of a sort. Then try the first check.

If it still just hardlocks, you might think it is X that's messing with you. Otherwise, I'd be inclined to think KDE/qt.

Changing kernel and/or checking logs might give you more help than I have given.
SmokinBudda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: perfect Reply with quote

Ha!. Yeah, I saw those extra posts. Took care of it, sorry.

Anyhoo, what you said did the trick. I changed my driver to vesa and it worked like a charm. Now I have a base point to play around with. Thanks for your help.

www.davinatkins.com
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: