now it's starting to get frustraiting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Jones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: now it's starting to get frustraiting Reply with quote

Well all my other Linux expierence has given me some patience...

However, this is starting to test it. I've been trying to install Gentoo for about 4 weeks now. I lost count exactly, but I think this is somewhere around my 11th-13th attempt. Each time something different seems to occur. I went through the instructions piece by piece, without error.

The one just now seemed to be going good, was bootstraping for a while (3 hours). I didn't see it all, but I think it compiled gcc, and the libs, and it started doing some non-compile stuff (think it was installing). Then all the suddent it checked an md5 that was invalid.... That happened before too. So taking the advice I got last time, I cleared the distfiles and redid emerge sync, which went good for about 15 seconds, then my comp randomly rebooted....

Every time it's something different. I thought/think it might be a hardware problem (Windows wouldn't even format the drive), but I did a memtest-86 on the ram (4 sucessfull passes), and did a badblocks on the HD. I wasn't sure exactly how to do that one, I think I just did badblocks /dev/hda, it didn't say it was good, but also didn't report any errors, it didn't say anything (is that normal?). I have another drive that I can try... I don't want to format it but I guess I can try...

I think I only have the patience for another few attempts. I really want to bootstrap it just to have a pure system. I also really like how gentoo looks, and I want it to be a sucess...

I might need somone from CO to give me a hand. (there will be a case of beer/soda in it for you :D )
Scotty49
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

When I first attempted to install Gentoo, I encountered all kinds of strange problems, too. I found out, that the cooler of my CPU was not in the perfect position and so the whole thing overheated sometimes, causing a great variety of errors from kernel panics to reboots, segmentation faults, ... Perhaps that might be your problem as well.
Concerning your harddrive I would suggest you to download a special utility from your manufacturer, this is the best thing to check it.
A last, but pretty improbable possibility was, that your Internet Connection is a little faulty, which would explain the MD5 errors.

I hope, one of this ideas can help you to fix the problem!

Scotty
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

give us soem specs on your hardware, the more details the better. And have u tried a stage2/3 installation by skipping the bootstrap?

The random system rebooting sounds like your running windows :D but hardware can couse this problem also.

In my previous pc build I had a broken CPU, it worked but not properly and couse stranged computer behavier.
mb4guns
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotty49 was a bit faster but the point has been made...
Dr. Jones
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any good test sweets I might run (like memtest-86) to see if any other hardware parts are bad?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: