FYI: Dual Boot Windows 10 - Mount Windows Disks
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: FYI: Dual Boot Windows 10 - Mount Windows Disks Reply with quote

I recently updated my dual boot system to have Windows 10 as well as my preferred system, Gentoo.

I found that Gentoo no longer mounted my windows drives.

It turns out that Windows 10, when you shutdown, does not actually shut down, but hibernates. I understand the same thing happens with Windows 8, but I skipped that one.

When windows is hibernated, ntfs-3g refuses to mount the file systems because mounting them will cause Windows, when it returns from hibernation, to get horribly confused and possibly corrupt the disks. Windows does not expect the disk content to change between hibernating and resuming.

The solution, from my perspective, was to simply disable this hibernate shutdown behaviour and return to the old Windows 7 behaviour, where windows actually shuts down, rather than hibernates. The price I pay is slower startup times on windows boot, but I can now mount my windows disks from the dual booted Gentoo.

Steps as follows...
1. In the Taskbar search, look for "control panel"
2. Open Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Power options
3. Click "Require a password on wakeup" on the left-side of the screen
4. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable"
5. Now under Windows Shutdown settings, Uncheck for "Enable Hybrid Boot (recommended)"
6. Click "Save Changes" button.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, and here I had to do just on my system a few hours before you posted this (so I can see how bad I break windows for moving the Program Files folders to another partition).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: