Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
gentoo instability compared with other linux'es ??
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
payam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: gentoo instability compared with other linux'es ?? Reply with quote

I was running Gentoo for several months on my computer, and I noticed the following:

a) there is a clock skew -- every few days my clock will be 5-10 minutes ahead
b) there is a high-pitched whine eminating from the southbridge chip (it's either from the onboard audio, onboard usb controller, or onboard ethernet -- not sure which but i know it's one of them, and maybe more than one)
c) my system will lock up once ever 2 days or so, whether in x or not, whether anyone's logged in or not.

All three problems (a), (b), and (c) were NOT evident when I ran RedHat and Mandrake, and I ran both of these distros for a few months. The three problems also don't exist when I leave my computer in the BIOS setup program.

What's the deal?

I figured at first that my CFLAGS variable was too intense -- it was something like "-O3 -march=athlon-xp -fomit-frame-pointers -funroll-loop -f1morething -pipe" so I wiped clean and reinstalled with "-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe" but I still have problems (a), (b), and (c). I also switched from ReiserFS partitions to ext3 partitions. So essentially, I made two efforts to promote stability: less rigorous CFLAGS, and an older more robust FS. (oddly enough, the system is about as fast as it was before, although doing an updatedb has gotten significantly slower, but that's beside the point)

My hardware is as follows:
CPU: Athlon XP Barton 2800+ (2.08, 333)
Mobo: Biostar M7NCD Pro (nForce2 Ultra 400)
Mem: 1GB Crucial PC2700 DDR, dual channel
Vid: EVGA GeForce FX5600 256MB
HD: Hitachi 180GB 180GXP
Onboard nforce net, nvidia audio
CD-RW, floppy, etc

I'm using vanilla-sources 2.4.22, and all packages are from the "stable" portage tree (i.e. no "~x86").

It's a real shame because Gentoo is definately faster than the other two distributions I've tried on this hardware, and I like how only the programs I want are installed, not some set of software that someone chose for me. Also, all the programs are (near) bleeding-edge (I'm a bit disappointed, actually, that Gentoo still uses GCC 3.2.x while other stable *binary* unix operating systems have switched to GCC 3.3.x, e.g. Mandrake, MacOSX, FreeBSD, etc...)

Does anyone have any suggestions? All comments and personal experience logs are appreciated, as well as possible solutions on how I can stick with Gentoo and be stable.
senectus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of interest.. how was the nforce support under redhat?

Also.. what kernel version does redhat use? Do they do a 2.6 version?

Sorry about being OT
Wise man say: A skilled troll is a master baiter.
paulisdead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try disabling apic in your kernel, and add these options to your lilo append line, or grub kernel line: pci=noacpi pci=biosirq. Those helped make my system pretty stable. Without them I'd get a hardlockup when there was a lot of disk activity with my Abit NF7-s.

You could also use rdate to sync up with a time server periodically. I run it at each boot up.

I don't really understand what you mean by a highpitch whine coming from the southbridge. You're literally hearing this from the chip itself, or over your speakers?
payam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try disabling apic in your kernel, and add these options to your lilo append line, or grub kernel line: pci=noacpi pci=biosirq. Those helped make my system pretty stable. Without them I'd get a hardlockup when there was a lot of disk activity with my Abit NF7-s.

i did this and i'm still experiencing the whine. we have yet to see about clock skew and locking up (i think all three problems are related, btw... so i'm not too optimistic)

Quote:
You could also use rdate to sync up with a time server periodically. I run it at each boot up.

i used to do this, it was crappy.

Quote:
I don't really understand what you mean by a highpitch whine coming from the southbridge. You're literally hearing this from the chip itself, or over your speakers?

the chip itself. i'm serious.

Quote:
just out of interest.. how was the nforce support under redhat?

redhat nforce support is basically this: download the rpm's off of nvidia's website before going into x (graphics card) and before doign anything over the net (onboard ethernet). sound works because it's basically intel8x0. mandrake and nvidia stuff is the same.

Quote:
Also.. what kernel version does redhat use? Do they do a 2.6 version?

they're using 2.4. no mainstream distro is gonna use 2.6 until it is officially released, and they have time to apply their patches to it.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is pretty much a build it yourself distro so problems are usually the cause of the system setup.
A: is kernel configuration.
B: I have no idea as it sounds bizzare.
C: Might be hardware related regardless of whether or not it happened in different distros. If not hardware maybe kernel setup.
payam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can i get a "smart" kernel .config file?

i tried using genkernel once and it ruined my gentoo installation! i had to wipe clean is any kernel i built afterwards wouldn't boot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: