View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Metacity raise-on-click behavior gone? Reply with quote

I just upgraded to GNOME 2.4, and am quite happy with it, all told :-) However, one thing is driving me nuts: In hover-to-focus mode with auto-raise off, clicking a window's contents no longer seems to raise it. I have to go to the titlebar, or hit Alt+Tab, or Windows-click (as if starting to move the window), or some such if I want to raise it. This breaks a bunch of UI precepts, IIUC - Fitt's Law and the Principle of Least Surprise come to mind - and it's a pain in the ass. Is this the new global default? (If so, I'm going to have to have a nice little talk with Havoc about what "just works" and what "just makes me want to strangle him" ...)

Jyrinx
jyrinx_list@mindspring.com

(BTW, I don't have anything exotic enabled in GConf, to my knowledge. Not the disable default workarounds thingie, certainly.)
TheWart
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm

So what is your setting in:

Applications > Desktop Preferences > Windows

Is it set to raise on click? (It was by default for me)

On the box it said it was designed for Win XP or better, so why won't it work with Linux?
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm? I don't have a raise-on-click option. I have a focus-on-hover option and a raise-on-hover option, but no raise-on-click.

I see the following:

• "Select windows when the mouse moves over them" (checked)
  • "Raise selected windows after an interval" (UNchecked)
  • "Interval before raising" (slider, grayed)
  • "Double-click titlebar to perform this action:" (drop-down; "Roll-up" selected)
  • "To move a window, press-and-hold this key then grab the window:" (Radio buttons; "Super" selected)

'Zis what you got? (Wondering if something hasn't been updated ...)
ronmon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the direction of GNOME-2.4 development, one of Metacity's main claims to fame seems to be lack of configurability (a.k.a. dumbing down). That's why I've stayed with Sawfish, which I have used since Dec, 1999 when it was still called Sawmill.

In the interest of fairness, and wanting to be able to use meta-themes, I tried switching to Metacity after the latest gnome updates. The experience was pretty disappointing and I found exactly the problem you did with window raising behavior along with other stuff I didn't like. It was a deal killer for me and I switched back to Sawfish before the end of the day.

Unfortunately, Sawfish development has slowed way down. But it still works better than anything else I have tried, including xfwm4. The only feature that I still miss from earlier Sawfish versions is the option to save window position and size.

Edit: Even though the save window position and size option is still missing, it appears to happen automatically now to a certain extent. The exception seems to be child windows such as playlist windows in apps like totem, mplayer, xmms, etc., as well as 'save', 'save to', or 'save as' dialogue windows in all apps.
nemhain
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wohooo!
I always used this bahavior in sawfish and missed it badly when I switched to metacity. Hope it's not a bug, because I love it! :)
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big sawfish user before metacity as well. I found that I didn't really need a lot of the stuff that sawfish did, although once in a while I miss something.

However, the placement algorithm in metacity is truly awful. Other than that, it really is pretty well done.
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronmon wrote:
Following the direction of GNOME-2.4 development, one of Metacity's main claims to fame seems to be lack of configurability (a.k.a. dumbing down).

I don't think that's a fair assessment; Havoc has many good points in his manifesto about what happens with too many options. Hyperconfigurability is indeed a serious problem that has hindered development in real ways.

The worthwhile question, then, is how many is too many. For instance, the option of whether to pass the click event that activates a window to the window itself (i.e. whether clicking in the middle of your inactive AbiWord document should move the cursor as well as activate the window) is excessive - nearly everyone is more comfortable with that option on, having it off could only confuse new users who don't understand what an active window is ("why did I have to click twice?"), and if you need to raise a window without disturbing the selection (by far not the more common case), that's not difficult (click the titlebar, use Alt-Tab, maybe use a modifier key, etc.).

But if Havoc has decided that everyone should live with clicking on a window should not raise it, he's misjudged badly. There are times when it comes in handy to keep in front what's in front, but 95% of the time I click in a window to work in it, and I want to see the whole window. It's a pain in the ass to Alt-Tab or click the titlebar every damn time. More reasonable would be to have Alt-click or something activate a window without raising it.

(Hell, there is a plugin system for Metacity (in libwnck) that seems completely unused. I think some of these power users should just write a plugin to add, e.g., window matching and selectable placement algorithms. Maybe call it libcrackpipe :-) )

I'ma go check out bugs.gnome.org and see if Havoc considers this a bug ...
Obz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a *bump* that this annoys the heck out of me as well. trying to click on a window border or using alt-click, just isnt the same.
peabody12
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: solution Reply with quote

in the options somewhere there is a button you can select to be able to hold it down and drag the window to move it. it also serves the function of brining to to the top. i always click w/ this button to raise (it's the windows button for me)
(under windows preferences)
Ricky
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as other people are chiming in, I'll throw in my $2e-2 too. 8)

I'm a fan of focus-follows-mouse, click-anywhere-raises-window. As stated previously, have to click the taskbar or titlebar or alt+tab is just annoying. Not to mention often slower. I mean, the whole point of sloppy focus and clicking to raise the window is that it allows you to move through windows quickly and without much effort. And I don't like raise on hover. If I'm hovering over a window and not clicking, it's specifically because I want to type in that window with it in the background.

I'm not asking for much, you don't have to put it in the dialogs, at least give me an option that I can get to in gconf-editor or something. :P
asimon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jyrinx wrote:

Havoc has many good points in his manifesto about what happens with too many options.

That is right, but Pennignton's arguments are not universally and don't apply for everyone. There are people who need/want more configurability. GNOME moves in a certain direction where it makes indead sense to strip down configuration option to a minimum. But not everyone fits in this market.
dreamer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemhain wrote:
wohooo!
I always used this bahavior in sawfish and missed it badly when I switched to metacity. Hope it's not a bug, because I love it! :)

Dreamer agrees fully with that 8)
Crg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjimmy42 wrote:
I was a big sawfish user before metacity as well. I found that I didn't really need a lot of the stuff that sawfish did, although once in a while I miss something.

However, the placement algorithm in metacity is truly awful. Other than that, it really is pretty well done.

Anyone use it with multiple screens and find it seems to purposely place new windows on the screen you don't have the mouse currently on?

I really miss sawfish's feature where you could save window size/position.
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually referring more to the fact that the windows get placed with top and left priority if there is room. If not, just throw it up in the top left corner. So once your desktop is full of windows, all new ones appear in the top left corner. Ugh.

Also, I seem to remember something in the new changelog for meta, that it handles multiple screens better. Have you tried the new version that comes with gnome 2.4?
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm ... looks like it was unintended after all: see http://bugs.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=122577. (Though I'm not sure how annoying Havoc realizes this is; raising on click is far more than "marginally better" for the vast majority of people ...)
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. It sounds to me like Havoc has a pretty good grasp of the problem. He understands that there are times (DND and selecting text) when you don't want the window to be raised, but most of the rest of the time you do. I have read a lot of what Havoc has written on the subject of usability. I wouldn't expect a sawfish-like "prase-the-title-of-the-window-in-a-regexp-to-see-if-I-should-raise-it" because that's hacky and doesn't work all the time, even though it may look like it to any one person.

If it can't be done "right" he won't do it at all. However, in my one experience, he's very responsive and helpful with patches.
rowi
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the new behaviour of metacity. But I do understand that not everybody likes it (OTOH I hate raise on click). Since metacity know both ways now this should be an option, at least within gconf
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Since metacity know both ways now this should be an option, at least within gconf

Sounds to me from the bug commentary that it's not that simple; it's some sort of weird implementation issue that had a side effect of getting rid of raise-on-click. IOW, it's not just a matter of changing the default option. (And I'm positive Havoc won't make this into an option. For good reason.)

Yeah, I tend to agree a good deal with Havoc's approach to UI functionality. Sawfish is just insane. (It would be nice, though, if someone would write a libwnck extension to put back some of the über-fancy-nifty stuff. I miss my frameless terminal windows, and always-on-top comes in handy.)
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have frameless terminals. Use Eterm. smoked_glass theme is probably what you want.

check it out.

http://russellcentral.2y.net/screenshots/frameless_terms.png
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the gconf key

/apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_above

sets the key binding for setting a window to be always on top. Theres a lot in the gconf keys that isnt' exposed through the UI. I guess this is Havocs idea of comprimise. Works for me.
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drjimmy42 wrote:
Also, the gconf key

/apps/metacity/window_keybindings/toggle_above

sets the key binding for setting a window to be always on top. Theres a lot in the gconf keys that isnt' exposed through the UI. I guess this is Havocs idea of comprimise. Works for me.

?!! Huh ... thought I'd looked through all those, guess I missed some. Slick. (Though the point is moot at the moment ... all windows usually stay on top :-) )
Corhonio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case u haven't figured out how to enable raise on click
set the following key (with g-conf obviously) /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode to click
Freak_NL
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We HAVE figured that out, it is the missing option of raise-on-click AND focus-on-mouseover that irks us..

Single screen users with this problem are better of with kahakai for their WM. Unfortunatly, kahakai maximizes/fullscreens on the whole virtual desktop (all monitors) when using the twinview option in the NVidia drivers.. (so I'm stuck with metacity)
drjimmy42
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried openbox3. I just gave it a whirl after giving up on metacity for the moment, and am quite impressed.
labrador
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: I can't stand it! Reply with quote

I have used Windows and many flavours of Windows managers, going back to
the days of motif and olwm. Having to Alt-Click or click on the title bar to raise a window
is very bad.

Whoever can change this, please do.

Now if Metacity is the problem, what is the solution?
Someone mentioned sawfish...
What about Enlightenment?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: