Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
M-Audio Delta 44 (ice1712) and XMMS...WHY ALL THE HATE?!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
makoffee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: M-Audio Delta 44 (ice1712) and XMMS...WHY ALL THE HATE?!! Reply with quote

I'm having some trouble with my new Delta 44 soundcard
so far it "works" fine in linux, I get sound in most games and audio programs except probably the most important audio app, XMMS.

When I try playing a sound sample in XMMS via the alsa plugin or the oss plugin, xmms just hard locks.

Any ideas?
makoffee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: ehh Reply with quote

Well I guess I've got it KINDA working.... It seems that I can run xmms in oss but not alsa... Not really the way I want to do things.

Anyone run into this before?
orb9
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're an KDE user, right? If so, this behaviour is normal, at least if you're running artsd (which is the default in KDE).
The reason for not being able to use ALSA in xmms is a running artsd which has captured your audio-device and the XMMS-ALSA-plugin cannot access it. Shutdown xmms and artsd wait some seconds and retry xmms with XMMS-ALSA-plugin and it should work - but not correctly :-(
The ice1712 is running at 48kHz. Most mp3 are 44kHz and therefore xmms complains about incompatible sample-rates. IMHO the output rate of the card and the rate of the mp3's should not matter at this point (conversion should be done - don't know whether in ALSA or in XMMS) but for now this isn't... so try to play a 48kHz (if you have one) and it should work.
A way out of this hell is to use the artsd output-plugin in xmms, because arts does the sample-rate conversion :D Unfortunately this requires a running artsd, which you don't have according to your post.

The reason for being able to use the XMMS-OSS-plugin is a bit trickier. To put it in a nutshell: ALSA emulates OSS - and if using OSS output in XMMS all audio data goes through OSS->ALSA->ARTSD (at least that's the way i understood it - feel free to correct me).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: