Raspberry PI2 Git-Kernel and Kernel Packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Raspberry PI2 Git-Kernel and Kernel Packages Reply with quote

Hello guys,

at the moment I try to install gentoo on a raspberry pi2. I am wondering about the installation of the kernel via "git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/ " and what are the packages "raspberrypi-image", "raspberrypi-userland" and "raspberrypi-firmware" good for?

Can it be that installaing the Kernel via git or emerging these three packages has the same effect but via two different ways? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
GOS
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may do your homework

Google the terms: firmware, git

and i am sure some hundred or thousands people already wrote how to compile a kernel for your rasperry pi.

It seems these are just common questions, which are answered in any faq, any newbie tutorial, any guide.

Therefore I kindly want to ask you to utilize google and serach for those terms.

When you are able to make a kernel for one box, you should understand the terminology for making it for another platform.

In the very early days we hat a term called, which i do not want ot write now .. RTFM.

any arm platform related documetnation will guide you

regards
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tw04l124,

A Read The Friendly Manual response here is normally accompanied with a pointer to the piece of the friendly manual that needs to be consulted.
On the other hand, we teach fishing here, rather than hand out fish :)

Embedded kernels in general are a bit of a black art. The mainline kernel tends to lack all sorts of required patches.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
GOS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tw... what is wrong with you??? The question was in short: what are these three packages goof for because one can also install kernel and firmware via git. If you know the answer it would be helpful you wrote it down. By the way it is not googeling firmware and git.
Leio
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Raspberry PI2 Git-Kernel and Kernel Packages Reply with quote

GOS wrote:
Hello guys,

at the moment I try to install gentoo on a raspberry pi2. I am wondering about the installation of the kernel via "git clone --depth 1 git://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/ " and what are the packages "raspberrypi-image", "raspberrypi-userland" and "raspberrypi-firmware" good for?

Can it be that installaing the Kernel via git or emerging these three packages has the same effect but via two different ways? Any ideas?

As the package descriptions say:
  • raspberrypi-image is precompiled kernel and modules
  • raspberrypi-userland is userspace tools and libraries
  • raspberrypi-firmware is bootloader and firmware

But to put more information behind that:
  • raspberrypi-userland is various Pi specific userspace stuff, such as its OpenMAX bits, graphics libraries (the semi-open source stuff that came out long ago, not what Eric Anholt is working on to mainline kernel and mesa), various demos and more. You probably want this if you want hardware accelerated video decoding or anything graphics related when not playing around with the new mesa stuff; however the 2014 snapshots in main tree are too old for Pi2, I believe the ARM overlay has newer stuff, or various community overlays.
  • raspberrypi-image seem to be some gentoo precompiled kernel and modules, and they seem awfully outdated and not worth using. I also use the raspberry foundation precompiled kernels from that git location out of lazyness, but keep in mind you should not forget to get the matching kernel modules found in there to your /lib/modules in rootfs. Another option is to use raspberrypi-sources package or the relevant git tree from an appropriate git branch directly, to configure and compile your own kernel. That might be a good idea, especially if you start with the appropriate Pi default kernel configuration (or that used by the firmware git tree) and tweaking from there
  • raspberrypi-firmware is pretty much what goes to the boot FAT32 partition thing. Seem awfully outdated in main tree as well, so I'd use the files from that git tree instead as well.

Hope this helps more.
GOS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Thanks :D . Your Infos helped me a lot.

I have one further question: Is there a possibility to download the .config used by the raspberry foundation for their precompiled kernels? That would be helpful as starting point for a self-compiled kernel.
bbgermany
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

if you have booted a kernel from the git repo, you can run "modprobe configs" and you will find the running config compressed in "/proc/config.gz"

greets bb

EDIT: you can contact me in the german forums as well, i have a rpi b running gentoo with git kernel from hexxeh ;)
Server #1: Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G, 64GB, 16.5TB
Server #2: Ryzen 4800H, 32GB, 22TB
GOS
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, I will try it! :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: