Gentoo BSD anyone?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linux_matt
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Gentoo BSD anyone? Reply with quote

I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences of using Gentoo BSD. Gentoo Linux works great for me, what would be the advantages of Gentoo BSD?
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it. I run it in VirtualBox. Documentation is good and easy to follow. But most packages will not install yet. I think "real" FreeBSD also is worth looking at. Their package system has improved much lately. But I still think the Gentoo approach is better.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect more people will be following this thread if L.P. has too much more success with systemd and Linux.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using FreeBSD for 12 years now. Despite what they keep expressing on FreeBSD forums portage is superior to ports. Unfortunately I do not believe Gentoo BSD project will be usable in production environment any time soon, may be never. :(
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The advantage will be that it is freebsd.

I read recently about it and the net claims that the only good bsd is from freebsd and gentoo bsd is some hybrid.

freebsd seems to support the major open source components what i saw related on their docs / homepage. I am still 50 / 50 if I should stay wiht gentoo or move over to freebsd.

I also think about switching over in the long run, as I changed hardware. Gentoo is far too unstable / unrelyable in the past few months. My personal impression (opinion) is that the developers do not really test out things / talk to each others, else you could not explain that most of the stuff breaks in a repeated way. Breakage includes visual artifacts with ncurses. having old boost libaries still in /lib/boost although it was unmerged ages ago. that causes builds to fail at the configure stage. Heavily slotting of packages which seems to worthless. Slot package versions do not reflect the slot package current versions, e.g. ncurses and a few other packages.
gentooP4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a home user i've always found BSD a disapointing experience. Boot times are slow, software old and features slow to be introduced. Apart from that I would use it anyday. :D

If you voted for Trump or Brexit, you were likely influenced by the Cambridge Analytica propaganda machine.
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Gentoo, as a meta distribution, eventually will support all operating system (linux, FreeBSD, minix, Plan9, android) and compilers (gcc, clang) and all hardware :)
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irre wrote:
I hope Gentoo, as a meta distribution, eventually will support all operating system (linux, FreeBSD, minix, Plan9, android) and compilers (gcc, clang) and all hardware :)

https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/about/ wrote:
What is Gentoo?
Gentoo is a free operating system based on either Linux or FreeBSD ...
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't mean building gentoo with other kernels is impossible. It just says it's not supported right now because someone has made that decision.
If you want to spend your time pushing gentoo towards other kernels, it may some day become linux/bsd/slowaris/minix/something/else.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, go all the way. Gentoo / Hurd!
sitquietly
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo BSD anyone? Reply with quote

linux_matt wrote:
I'd be interested to hear anyone's experiences ... what would be the advantages of Gentoo BSD?

I dual boot Gentoo / Funtoo Linux and FreeBSD. On FreeBSD I build all packages from ports using poudriere (bulk builds in a set of jails). The "building from source with custom options" experience is very pleasant on my FreeBSD system; I've never had any trouble building my custom binary repository with about 2500 packages including KDE 4.14, Gnome 3.16, XFCE, Mate, enlightenment 0.19.12, gnustep, latex, java, postgresql, libreoffice, etc. and many math packages and audio packages. Building a less ambitious set of packages on Gentoo from portage I do often encounter (temporary) blockers and build failures. Building a set of packages on FreeBSD with poudriere takes less time because it runs N (=#cpus) builds in separate jails in parallel; it can really keep the cpu loaded. FreeBSD ports is a very large collection of course, it compares well to what is available in Gentoo. I often find that ports packages are more recent versions than portage.

So...

I've thought about your question myself recently and

although I really like the FreeBSD operating system I wouldn't find any advantage to running Gentoo BSD instead of either Gentoo Linux with OpenRC or FreeBSD itself. The only thing that keeps me running Linux at all is lack of support from Netflix for FreeBSD (although Netflix movies are actually served from FreeBSD systems).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: