View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Epson Sytlus Pro 4900 on Gentoo Reply with quote

Hello.

I'm trying to install this printer on my gentoo system. Unforntunately, cups out of the box, and the package net-print/epson-inkjet-printer-escpr do not have the driver for this. I had to download it from here:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=171983&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_O_LINUX

Of course, they only have .rpm and .deb packages. I do have rpm installed on my system for other purposes, so I chose that. I downloaded the epson-stylus-pro-4900-series-1.0.0-1lsb3.2.x86_64.rpm version (my system is amd64). I installed it, and the system made no complaints.

However, the jobs I send to it die immediately. After finding nothing that made sense to me in the logs, I turned on debugging. Unfortunately, that didn't help. It seems to complain about execv not being found (I think that is the first error). I have googled this, but didn't find anything useful. Perhaps it has to do with the "org.freedesktop.ColorManager was not provided by any .service files" lines... not sure.

The log is huge... but here it is, with just one, simple print. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

http://pastebin.com/fZbHnxvC

Last edited by grooveman on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
kikko
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi grooveman
according to some opinion, your Epson Stylus Pro 4900 should work fine with the "4880" driver included in gutenprint
Imho it's worth to give it a try ;)

Regards
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kikko,

Hmm... it appears that I didn't even have Gutenprint installed. Weird. Fixed that.

So there is a 4900 printer driver listed, but again, it does not work.

I tried the 4880, and that does seem to yield a print... no idea what I'm losing by using the wrong driver, though...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: