View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b0uncer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: GDM config problem Reply with quote

I've asked this question earlier at LinuxQuestions, but this far nobody has been able to help me :(

My GDM version is 2.4.1.6..altough this problem showed up on the earlier version too, soo I guess it's not a version-related problem. And here's what's wrong:

whenever I start GDM manually or make it start automatically after booting the system, it loads and starts up normally, shows me the default settings and pops up a box which tells me that my "session directory is empty or missing" and that "configuration file was not found". I can use it to start Gnome (which I use), but only the failsafe version - not the "normal".

What's interesting in this is that when I open the configuration window inside GDM (from the panel), it loads and shows my own configuration correctly. GDM itself won't find nor use it, but the config window does...? How on earth is this possible?!

I've chekced the permissions of the files GDM uses, and they should all be set to "gdm" in which GDM works. Also, KDM (which I have to use because GDM won't work, even if I don't want to use it) doesn't have any problem - it finds my session directory, and my configurations with no problem. GDM just seems to miss somewhere...

So where should I start digging to solve this and use GDM normally? I've tried to re-emerge it, but without success...

Help, please...!!
ed0n
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first I will suggsest you to do
Code:

emerge gdm

so to remerge it if you got the same thing try putting there bash scripts like:

touch /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
echo "gnome-session" > /etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Gnome
killall -9 gdm
CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE
b0uncer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions

includes already my Gnome session....and KDM works with it just fine....?

-remerging gdm didn't help- :( :( :(
b0uncer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to think this again...I'm almost sure that this problem can't have anything to do with file permissions, but let's be paranoid and think this has.

What files does gdm actually need to read, execute or write? I think I've checked them all out (config, Sessions etc.) and they should work, but what could be a file it desperately needs to use and can't? The problem with this is, of course, that if GDM:s configurator can read my config and GDM itself can't, it should'n have anything to do with permissions...but what else can I think?

And another thing, does xinit, xdm or things like these have anything to do with GDM that could cause an error reading Sessions (or even GDM's config)? umm... I'd answer 'no' but in this situation I'm ready to believe whatever might help.

if someone has somekind of "deeper" information about the way GDM really uses it's config files and other files (like profile files it uses) and could think of something, please tell...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: