View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Fresh instal: kernel panic not syncing attempted kill init Reply with quote

Following the Gentoo handbook installation guide closely, I just completed a fresh install of Gentoo as a guest VM. The host is Ubuntu 14.04. I powered off the VM. I removed the live iso media from within the VirtualBox setttings menu. I start the VM. Grub is called at boot as it should. I select Gentoo GNU/Linux. Three seconds into the initramfs and my kernel panics. And here is a screenshot of the contents of my fstab and output of fdisk -l /dev/sda. That last screenshot was taken when I reached the end of the Gentoo handbook before rebooting my fresh install for the first time.

I queried Google for 'kernel panic not syncing attempted to kill init' which turned up some pretty ancient forum posts from 10 years ago with forum members discussing issues involving a possibly toasted physical (rather than virtual as in my case) IDE hard drive. I added the word 'gentoo' to that Google query which turned up this thread which is exceedingly frustrating to read. Another Gentoo forum member who goes by the name of senz found a solution (dating back to 2008) which I don't understand. senz writes:

senz wrote:
think ive found the solution:

Quote:

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 10:43:12AM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Isn't the device-mapper kernel code capable of detecting the older userspace
> version and loudly warning about it? That at least would prevent us from
> wasting lots of people's time like this.

It's not a device-mapper problem: It's between userspace LVM2 and kernel
sysfs.

LVM2 userspace expects a particular sysfs layout. That layout got
changed without offering sufficient lead time (>6-9 months) for the
required userspace changes to propagate into the main versions of the
distros people use.

LVM2 userspace version 2.02.29 (released 5th December 2007) can handle
old and new layouts. The patch was in the CVS head for a while before
that. Earlier versions of LVM2 require CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED. A
less-efficient workaround is to disable the use of sysfs in the LVM2
config: 'devices { sysfs_scan = 0 }'.
(I think the root cause of this mess was changing what
CONFIG_SYSFS_DEPRECATED did instead of adding a new setting that could
be enabled by default.)

Alasdair
--
agk@redhat.com
--
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

Apparently that worked for him but I don't understand his solution at all.

What other information can I provide?

Thanks for your attention.

edit:sp

Last edited by Drone4four on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
comprookie2000
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be of much help because I have never done an install in vm but just to double check you did follow the wiki guide?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Linux_guest-related
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

Post the output of lspci from within your VM so we can see the hardware Virtualbox is pretending you have.
That's what you need to build Gentoo for.

Also, provide the content of grub.cfg from your install in the VM.

wgetpaste is your friend.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comprookie2000 wrote:
I can't be of much help because I have never done an install in vm but just to double check you did follow the wiki guide?
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VirtualBox#Linux_guest-related

Thank-you comprookie2000 for your suggestion. I chrooted into my live environment and installed the guest additions.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Drone4four,

Post the output of lspci from within your VM so we can see the hardware Virtualbox is pretending you have.
That's what you need to build Gentoo for.

Also, provide the content of grub.cfg from your install in the VM.

wgetpaste is your friend.

Thank-you NeddySeagoon for your suggestions. Yes, using wgetpaste would help me share my grub.cfg and output of lspci better than using screenshots. So I created a wgetpaste package with portage and installed it. I issue the wgetpaste command as per the official docs but when I go to key in the URL into my browser window, I get a 404 both on bpaste and tinyurl. See here for a screen shot of my live environment demonstrating my wgetpaste errors.

I figure I should try to resolve wgetpaste first before proceeding with your other suggestions.

Thank-you both for your time, attention and patience.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

Well, bpaste works here. You grub.cfg looks good provided that root=UUID=a1f6d306-391c-4ac8-b6c0-91e1086b0384 is correct for your filesystem on /dev/sda4.
Check with blkid. Be aware that the partition will have a UUID whicd is different to the UUID of the filesystem on the partition. Its the filesystem UUID that needs to match.

That leaves two things, your emulated hardware and your kernel. I suspect that the issue is a mismatch between the two.

Booting an old Gentoo DVD in Virtualbox and running lspci,
Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II]
00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 631xESB/632xESB IDE Controller
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 40)
00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:06.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
00:0b.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
00:0d.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)

The important things here are
Code:
00:0d.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
Genkernel should support both of those.

Your lspci from within the VM may be different. It all depends on the emulated hardware you configured virtualbox to show to the guest.
Certainly, genkernel needs some help to support the SCSI and SAS options.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've already seen it, Neddy, but for those who haven't seen my grub.cfg who might be viewing this thread now, here it is: https://bpaste.net/show/b04e586dbc0f

If grub.cfg is referring to my / partition using a UUID, then should UUIDs be also found in my fstab? The contents of my fstab can be found here: https://bpaste.net/show/ace822c716dc

In my fstab there are no traces of a UUID. The / partition is referred to as /dev/sda4. Does this mean I have to replace all instances of the root UUID in my grub.cfg with /dev/sda4?

Here is my output of lspci: https://bpaste.net/show/ab5ccf201125

Neddy, here are the segments you drew attention to in your previous post:
Code:

00:01.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

So do I have to recompile a genkernel to build modules to support the SATA controller and IDE interface present in lspci? Or could I flip a switch in my VirtuaBox VM settings for a different virtual network interface card to be present?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

With genkernel you may use the filesystem UUID and the partition /dev entry interchangeably.
The kernel can deal with /dev/sd.. on its own. UUIDs need the userspace mount program, which is included in the initrd, so it can be used to mount root.

genkernel should build support for both the SATA and IDE chip sets.
In your Virtual Machine set up in Virtual Box, which controller is your emulated HDD attached to?
You could try the other one.

Post your /usr/src/linux/.config to a pasebin and I'll look it over.

You could also try genkernel-next in place of genkernel.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the contents of my /usr/src/linux/.config: https://bpaste.net/show/939698f27b16

The Controller for my storage tree in VirtualBox is IDE for my live iso and SATA for Gentoo.vdi. Does that answer your question? Its also worth noting that under the attributes option to the right, it says:
Code:
Name: IDE

and
Code:
Type: PIIX4

with a check box indicating "Use Host I/O Cache"

See here for a screenshot. I am not sure if sharing this info would be helpful.

I've never heard of genkernel-next. I'll look into it.
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I unmerged the genkernel and successfully emerged genkernl-next. I rebooted, same kernel panic.

It's also worth noting that I emerged the VBox guest additions. Kernel panics with the same error.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

I've just done a fairly minimal VBox install, following the handbook (almost) , to attempt to recreate your issue.
I even used genkernel and grub2, much against my better judgement. I failed. It booted flawlessly.

I left everything possible set to the defaults.

My VBox setup is at https://bpaste.net/show/6ee781796125
That can be found in ~/VirtualBox VMs/<VM_NAME>/<VM_NAME>.vbox. Its XML. but diff may give some hints.
If you post your .vbox file I'll look at it.

My root .bash_history from inside the chroot, for the install is https://bpaste.net/show/45687b458e8e
There are a few typos, which you can see and I omitted to mount /boot before entering the chroot the first time.

I suspect its a VBox set up issue.

For completeness lspci https://bpaste.net/show/7bac1fdbbd1d

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you NeddySeagoon for your kindness in helping troubleshoot my issue.

Here is my Gentoo.vbox xml file (with nice syntax highlighting) : http://pastebin.com/4hZkQYxp

Here is my root bash history file: https://bpaste.net/show/51237227d878
What's interesting is yesterday I installed the X server and e16 in my chroot environment. I tried starting e16 and it choked. But I don't see any evidence of that procedure in my root bash history file. Strange. Today when I got home from work I powered off the VM without shutting down gently because I couldn't escape the idle black screen by moving the mouse or entering random keystrokes. I know powering off the VM as such wasn't best practices or the wisest thing to do but I couldn't figure out how to get the terminal back. Could this be why there are no traces of the X server / enlightenment installation in my root bash history log file?

Here is my lspci too:
Code:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440FX - 82441FX PMC [Natoma] (rev 02) 
00:01.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371SB PIIX3 ISA [Natoma/Triton II] 
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter 
00:03.0 Ethernet controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] 79c970 [PCnet32 LANCE] (rev 40) 
00:04.0 System peripheral: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Guest Service 
00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01) 
00:06.0 USB controller: Apple Inc. KeyLargo/Intrepid USB 
00:07.0 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08) 
00:0b.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller 

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

There is nothing stands out in your root .bash_history. A few things about .bash_history.
.bash_history is only saved when the shell exits, if you open several concurrent shells, only one .bash_history is saved.
The commands in the others are lost.

You have created a normal user. Did you test X as your normal user?
If so the command will be in the users .bash_history.

Code:
emerge --unmerge genkernel
emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel-next
I didn't make myself clear. genkernel and genkernel-next are tools to build and install a kernel for you.
From your .bash_history you did not rebuild your kernel with the new tool so you are/were still using the old kernel.
Code:
uname -a
helps here.
Code:
$ uname -a
Linux NeddySeagoon_Static 4.2.0-gentoo-r1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Sep 22 21:09:01 BST 2015 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Tue Sep 22 21:09:01 BST is the build date and time of the running kernel. When you make a new kernel and boot into it, this will change.
Its quite common for new users to fix issues that need a kernel rebuild but not know it because they fail to boot into the new kernel.
I learned this the hard way ... after spending a large part of a day helping a user on IRC.
Anyway, I intended you to use genkernel-next to rebuild and reinstall your kernel. I think I demonstrated that a genkernel built kernel works.

On to your Gentoo.vbox xml file. The diff is at $ diff -u paste ~/VirtualBox\ VMs/Gentoo/Gentoo.vbox | wgetpaste
Your paste can be seen here: https://bpaste.net/show/08b7568fda53
Lines start with a blank space, a - or a +. The meanings are ...
blank space. A line that appears in both files included for context.
- a line that is different in your file and mine and would be removed by the patch command.
+ a line to be inserted.
You should find that in most cases. A line to be removed has a similar line to be added.

Feeding your file and this diff to the patch command will result in your file being changed into my file.
Its worth skimming
Code:
man patch
and
Code:
man diff
if you want to know more.
While that's all very interesting, I don't see anything significant.

We are using different versions of Virtualbox and kernels - That's the main takeaway.

I'm grasping at straws now. You could try a newer kernel.

For the Xorg issue, pastebin /var/log/Xorg.0.log which will tell what Xorg did when it started.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the output of uname -a:

Code:

Linux livecd 4.0.5-gentoo #1 SMP Thu Sep 24 06:41:30 UTC 2015 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

You were clear the first time you mentioned genkernel-next. I found a guide when you initially suggested that I install genkernel. =D

I powered off my VM. I closed VirtualBox. Then I backed up my Gentoo.vbox config file and copied and pasted over your config file. Then when I started VirtualBox, the Gentoo VM was inaccessible due to UUID mismatch which is obviously because your disk identifier is different from the mine. You didn't suggest that I do this. You actually suggested that I selectively make changes using the patch command. I viewed the man pages for diff and patch and like all man pages, there is such a tremendous amount of information. Its a little overwhelming. You did break down the essential commands (blank space, + , -) I need to use and I thank-you for breaking it down but I'm at a loss for setting up the files together. Its more work than its worth. I suspect that your right when you say that the issue I'm experiencing is not Gentoo/Linux related and prolly a VirtualBox set up issue. I suppose I have two options to continue troubleshooting my issue. I could try:
1. collecting all the essential information you and I have discussed here in this thread and asking around on a more VM-centric forum
2. a fresh installation of Gentoo using VMware instead of VirtualBox

I would still like to troubleshoot my Xorg issue inside my chroot environment tho. Should I start a new thread in the Desktop Evironment sub forum? Here are the contents of my Xorg.0.log : https://bpaste.net/show/2b6a4424e567

Once again, I thank-you, NeddySeagoon, for your help, your kindness and your patience.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

Code:
Thu Sep 24 06:41:30 UTC 2015
is the build date of the running kernel but that will be from the liveCD running under your chroot.

One of the difficult things to troubleshoot in "Attempting to kill init" is which init is it trying to kill?
There in one in the initrd and another to get your system started after root is mounted.
The former belongs to genkernel, the latter to the stage3 tarball.

We can try building your kernel so you do not need an initrd. Its a matter of flipping some kernel options from <M> to <*> and rebuilding and reinstalling the kernel. This will get rid of one of your inits.

For Xorg, the log shows
Code:
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched vboxvideo as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3

which is the list of video drivers for Xorg in Virtualbox, in order of preference.

Then we have
Code:
[ 12049.744] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)

Code:
[ 12049.751] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
That mill stop the modesetting driver working.
It needs kernel support, which is missing.
The log is truncated, which implies Xorg did not exit cleanly.

The way ahead is to use the vboxvideo driver.
Hint: What do you have in VIDEO_CARDS= ?
What does
Code:
emerge -pv x11-base/xorg-drivers
list as possible values?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
HerbMillerJW
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have 3d-accelleration enabled in the VM? Try turning that off and seeing if it boots. When using VirtualBox, always disable that as a troubleshooting step. It can cause all kinds of random fits in the guest.
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Drone4four,

Code:
Thu Sep 24 06:41:30 UTC 2015
is the build date of the running kernel but that will be from the liveCD running under your chroot.

if uname -a in my chroot environment tells me that kernel I'm running is the one off my emulated live media, then how do I determine the version and infomraiton of the genkernel which loads at boot? The contents of /boot are as follows:
Code:

total 39146
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2907743 Nov 28 22:54 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root     1024 Nov 29 00:57 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 32120592 Nov 28 23:24 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4881968 Nov 28 22:54 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
drwx------ 2 root root    12288 Nov 28 22:41 lost+found

Is that the genkernel or genkernel-next? If its the latter then does this confirm that when I attempt to boot Gentoo in my VM from Grub and the kernel panics, it is indeed genkernel-next (4.1.12)?

NeddySeagoon wrote:

We can try building your kernel so you do not need an initrd. Its a matter of flipping some kernel options from <M> to <*> and rebuilding and reinstalling the kernel. This will get rid of one of your inits.

For Xorg, the log shows
Code:
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched vboxvideo as autoconfigured driver 0
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched modesetting as autoconfigured driver 1
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched fbdev as autoconfigured driver 2
[ 12049.743] (==) Matched vesa as autoconfigured driver 3

which is the list of video drivers for Xorg in Virtualbox, in order of preference.

Then we have
Code:
[ 12049.744] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)

Code:
[ 12049.751] (EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
That mill stop the modesetting driver working.
It needs kernel support, which is missing.
The log is truncated, which implies Xorg did not exit cleanly.

The way ahead is to use the vboxvideo driver.
Hint: What do you have in VIDEO_CARDS= ?
What does
Code:
emerge -pv x11-base/xorg-drivers
list as possible values?

Here are the possible values of emerge -pv x11-base/xorg-drivers :
Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies  ... done!
[ebuild   R    ] x11-base/xorg-drivers-1.17::gentoo  INPUT_DEVICES="evdev keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -elographics -fpit -hyperpen -joystick (-libinput) -mutouch -penmount -synaptics -tslib -vmmouse -void -wacom"  VIDEO_CARDS="dummy fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage tdfx trident vesa via vmware -amdgpu -apm -ast -chips -cirrus -epson -fglrx (-freedreno) (-geode) -i128 (-i740) -neomagic -nvidia (-omap) (-omapfb) -qxl -radeonsi -rendition -s3 -s3virge -siliconmotion -sisusb (-sunbw2) (-suncg14) (-suncg3) (-suncg6) (-sunffb) (-sunleo) (-suntcx) (-tegra) -tga -tseng -virtualbox (-voodoo)" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Should I add vboxvideo driver to my use flags and re-emerge X11 and e16? I suppose that wouldn't do me much good if vboxvideo isn't built into my kernel. The problem I have with building my own configured kernel from source is that there are so many options and possibilities to screw it up. It's hard to compile a kernel the right way. That's why I chose the genkernel. Is there any way for me to get my hands on a copy of the genkernel make file and use that with the only modification being the switch from <M> to <*> for the vboxvideo-related kernel options?

HerbMillerJW wrote:
Do you have 3d-accelleration enabled in the VM? Try turning that off and seeing if it boots. When using VirtualBox, always disable that as a troubleshooting step. It can cause all kinds of random fits in the guest.

I just checked and 3D Acceleration has been disabled right now and for as long as I have been troubleshooting here.

edit:sp
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

/boot:
Nov 28 22:54 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo

That says your only kernel was built on 28 Nov at 22:54. 2015 is implied.

That's a problem as my post of Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:33 pm (UTC) suggested you try genkernel-next.
So that is not the kernel you made with genkernel-next.

Lets follow through some timestamps.
Your .config (/usr/src/linux/.config) starts everything. It should be the oldest file.
The kernel binary bzImage, (/usr/src/linux/arch/x86/boot/bzImage) is next as its built from the .config above.
If this is older than the .config your .config has been changed since your kernel was built.
The bzImage file gets copied to /boot as /boot/ kernel-genkernel-x86_64-<ver>-gentoo, so the timestamps should be identical.

The initramfs file is made after the kernel, so should always be newer than the kernel.

I guess you didn't mount /boot for the kernel install.

Boot your install media and mount your root at /mnt/gentoo. Do not mount anything else yet.
Look in /mnt/gentoo/boot. It should be empty as its just the mount point for your boot partition.
We can tell you have a real boot partition as you have a lost+found dir in your ls -l /boot in your past above. That dir only appears in the top level dir of partitions.

Further, lost+found is created by the mke2fs command at filesystem create time. That tells us that the /boot filesystem was created at Nov 28 22:41 and the kernel was installed on it only 13 min later. You didn't follow the handbook and build a kernel in 13 min, so either /boot has been recreated or something nasty happened with your clock, It took a step back. Time going backwards messes up make.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system clock has been working as it should. The problem is not with my clock but with my fast and loose approach to following the Gentoo Handbook, specifically the kernel installation section. I apologize for this. So I've been reviewing the genkernel installation section carefully tonight.

Its also very important that I explain now that I do recall reformatting /dev/sda1(a fat32 EFI partition) and /dev/sda2 (/boot) at some point a few days AFTER initially setting them up. Yes, the /boot file system was recreated. I forget exactly what I was doing or why I was reformatting these parts so late into the Handbook but this could very well be the reason why the source of my problem that we're troubleshooting here is my /boot mount point. I really should have reported this earlier, but it didn't occur to me. I apologize for my carelessness again.

Quote:
Boot your install media and mount your root at /mnt/gentoo. Do not mount anything else yet. 

OK done.
Quote:
Look in /mnt/gentoo/boot. It should be empty as its just the mount point for your boot partition.

Yes /mnt/gentoo/boot is empty. You're right.
Quote:
We can tell you have a real boot partition as you have a lost+found dir in your ls -l /boot in your past above. That dir only appears in the top level dir of partitions. 

I get it.

I proceeded to mount /dev/sda2 to /mnt/gentoo/boot and chrooted into my live environment. The Handbook instructs readers to emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel. I ensured that genkenel was uninstalled and then entered:
Code:

emerge sys-kernel/genkernel-next
which produced this: https://bpaste.net/show/1c6e93481ace
After entering that command I ensured /dev/sda2 was labeled in my fstab as ext2 . The Handbook then instructs you to enter: # genkernel all. I thought that entering this command was counter to what we are trying to accomplish here, but I went ahead an entered that command because there is no # genkernel-next all. Again I feel foolish doing that, but there is no guide or instructions anywhere on Google on how to install Genkernel-next on Gentoo. So # genkernel all eventually completed. The long listed contents of boot now reads:
Code:

total 38489
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  2907743 Dec  8 02:23 System.map-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root     1024 Nov 29 00:57 grub
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31450320 Dec  8 02:52 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4881968 Dec  8 02:23 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
drwx------ 2 root root    12288 Nov 28 22:41 lost+found

But I feel like I am still missing the point by a huge margin. Did I just reinstall the genkernel (not genkernel-next)? If I did then why when I enter emerge --unmerge genkernel  it says something about depclean and how it can't find the 'genkernel' package to unmerge . So I do a depclean and apparently the genkernel package doesn't exist.

Once again I thank-you NeddySeagoon for your help and I do apologize again for my folly. Thanks for your continued patience.

edit x2: sp + formatting

Last edited by Drone4four on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

genkernel is old a and difficult to maintain ... to the point where its been rewritten as genkernel-next.
Both nominally do the same thing but genkernel-next is under activie development. Portage can tell them apart.
I expect they both support the same commands too.

/mnt/gentoo/boot being empty means that you did not mess up a kernel install by installing it to the wrong boot.
You have a boot partition and a /boot directory on the root partition. When /boot is mounted, it looks like they are the same place.
When grub runs at boot, it matters as they are different partitions.

Your genkernel-next build and install looks good.
Code:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 31450320 Dec  8 02:52 initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  4881968 Dec  8 02:23 kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.1.12-gentoo
and from the timestamps, it built you a new kernel too.

So far so good. The kernel and initrd file names have not changed, so no need to update grub.conf.
Does that kernel new work or does it still try to kill init?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel panics at about the same time (about three and a half seconds into the boot sequence) but the kernel panic doesn't attempt to kill init now. Now its not syncing with a "Fatal exception in interrupt". Although it does indicate something about "snbep_uncore_msr_init_box+0x3c/0c50" which seems init related. See here: http://i.imgur.com/SF7EKpg.png

I Googled, snbep_uncore_msr_init_box which turned up a detailed VirtualBox bug report dated September of this year with a number of people discussing my issue with hardware similar to mine and with the same 4.1 kernel in the comment section.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

Try the 4.3 kernel or even the 3.x version that is reported to work.
That bug was closed as WONTFIX, so nothing was changed in virtualbox

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent the better part of the last hour ripping my hair out following the kernel configuration section of the Gentoo Handbook. It was such a trivial struggle to find File systems in the menuconfig. I finally found it after much frustration. So I'm ready to build my kernel and then I realize that I'm configuring 4.1.12 which is what genkernel-next is based on which is the kernel that is problematic in my case as documented in this forum thread. Is there a way to use the menuconfig I just made with 4.3.x? If so, how? The Gentoo Handbook just tells you to emerge sys-kernel/gentoo-sources which right now produces the sources necessary to build 4.1.12. The Book doesn't indicate how to download anything else. Little guidance?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drone4four,

genkernel(-next) works with the kernel pointed to by the /usr/src/linux symlink.
Code:
$ ls -l /usr/src/
total 64
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   21 Sep 22 21:16 linux -> linux-4.2.0-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Dec  5 15:26 linux-4.2.0-gentoo-r1
drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 Nov 22 13:07 linux-4.3.0-gentoo
This allows it to use a fixed name but work with whatever kernel you point it to.

Update the symlink.
Code:
eselect kernel
can help you.

The kernel make menuconfig has a search function. Press / to invoke it.
Be warned that genkernel -menuconfig all will overwrite your hand crafted .config before it shows you menuconfig.
There is another option to genkernel to tell it not to do that.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I borked my native Ubuntu host. I updated my kernel, nvdia drivers and Plymouth. Ugh. I'm troubleshooting my new issue elsewhere. And these next few days I have x-mas related things to attend to. So it might be a few days before I report back here when I have my Gentoo guest accessible again. Thanks for your help so far, Neddy. Your kindness and knowledge sharing is wholeheartedly appreciated.
Drone4four
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm back!

Yes, I was aware of / to invoke find in menuconfig. It was my futile attempt at using the find function that was contributing to my frustration. I felt that it wasn't helping at all. Anyways, I am happy with the way my Makefile turned out ok. I backed it up into a safe place and am ready to download either 4.2.x or 4.3.x sources, whether they be -next or something else. My problem now is figuring out how to use, eselect. According to the Handbook, eselect can be used to present news about package updates in portage. eselect can also be used to switch between portage profiles. Mine is set to [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *

I gather that eselect can declare what kernel symlink to use. The output of eselect kernel list is: [1] linux-4.1.12 gentoo *

How do I change that to something newer? I don't see options for 4.2.x or 4.3.x. How do I choose a newer kernel?

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: