View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpi0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Serial MouseMan and Keyboard not working Reply with quote

I have seen some posts that are similar to my problems, but none with the same configuration I have. The keyboard and mouse do not respond after startx and Gnome loads up. The clock is running so I know its not froze. I have tried to remove the mouse from the equation by unplugging it as suggested in another topic. Still the keyboard does not respond the way it should. I say 'the way it should' since out of frustration I mashed the keyboard and the cursor actually jumped. Its a standard 104-key keyboard, but the mouse is a 3-button serial MouseMan MousePort version. One more thing about this mouse, its a PS/2 but has a serial adapter, this exact setup has worked for me in the past so I can't blame the adapter. I was blaming it all on the mouse but with the mouse of out the picture the keyboard still doesnt work. I have tried XFree86 -configure, xf86cfg and xf86config, none seem to get me to a better state. I dont see any visable error messages, any logs i can check that might shed some light?
In make menuconfig, Under Character Devices - Mice - I have it set to logitech busmouse support. Someone told me this is not right, but the only other choice specifies "not serial" which this is.
In the XF86Config file I have the mouse on /dev/tty0 (com1?) Anymore suggestions? Thanks for any help anyone can provide, by the way I am a Gentoo Newbie... be gentile. :wink:
So close, yet so far.

AT style PC-Chips Motherboard with a PII-350 and 320MB RAM.
Scorpi0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: (Update)Serial MouseMan and Keyboard not working Reply with quote

Well, I fixed my own problem by scouring these forums and a little help from Google. But I would like to let everyone else know what my problem was, since there seems to be a lot of similarities out there. I found this command;
Code:
setserial -bg /dev/ts/0

After a little trial and error I figure out that my mouse was actually plugged into serial port 2 (/dev/tts/1). Since the IO address and IRQ I got from the setserial inquiry matched up with one of the BIOS settings for COM2. To all that have this problem; I know it can be very frustrating. Good luck and good hunting! :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: